Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is from the Appendix of the book "The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, Documented" by David N. Steele and Curtis C. Thomas.

THE MEANING OF “FOREKNEW” IN ROMANS 8:29

"For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified." Romans 8:29,30

"Broadly speaking there have been two general views as to the meaning and use of the word “foreknew” in Romans 8:29. One class of commentators (the Arminians) maintain that Paul is saying that God predestined to salvation those whom He foreknew would respond to His offer of grace (i.e., those whom He saw would of their own free will repent of their sins and believe the gospel). Godet, in commenting on Romans 8:29, asks the question: “In what respect did God thus foreknow them?” and answers that they were “foreknown as sure to fulfill the conditions of salvation, viz. faith; so: foreknown as His by faith.” 1 The word "foreknew” is thus understood by Arminians to mean that God knew beforehand which sinners would believe, etc., and on the basis of this knowledge He predestined them unto salvation.

The other class of commentators (the Calvinists) reject the above view on two grounds. First, because the Arminians’ interpretation is not in keeping with the meaning of Paul’s language and second, because it is out of harmony with the system of doctrine taught in the rest of the Scriptures. Calvinists contend that the passage teaches that God set His heart upon (i.e., foreknew) certain individuals; these He predestined or marked out to be saved. Notice that the text does not say that God knew SOMETHING ABOUT particular individuals (that they would do this or that), but it states that God knew the individuals THEMSELVES – those whom He knew He predestined to be made like Christ. The word “foreknew” as used here is thus understood to be equivalent to “foreloved” – those who were the objects of God’s love, He marked out for salvation.

The questions raised by the two opposing interpretations are these: Did God look down through time and see that certain individuals would believe and thus predestine them unto salvation on the basis of this foreseen faith? Or did God set His heart on certain individuals and because of His love for them predestine that they should be called and given faith in Christ by the Holy Spirit and thus be saved? In other words, is the individual’s faith the cause or the result of God’s predestination?"

To Read More Go Here: Monergism.com

IF foreknew in the passage simply means know beforehand, the context of "For whom", which imposes a limitation, does not even make sense considering God foreknows everyone, considering His omniscience. A couple of verses supporting the notion of foreloved spring to mind...

Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

1 John 4:19 We love Him because He first loved us.

"The “foreknowledge” view sees all of history as some great movie that God watched but did not create. He is therefore not sovereign. The flow of history depends upon the will of man, not the plan of God." R.C. Sproul

Reactions: JM and AMR

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The whole problem with that Calvinistic interpretation is that it denies that God wants all men to be saved. 1 Timothy 2:5, 2 Peter 3:9, Titus 2:11
Also the Greek word for Foreknow is G4267 proginosko which means to Foresee.
Your doctrine translates it as G4268 prognosis which means forethought
The other class of commentators (the Calvinists) reject the above view on two grounds. First, because the Arminians’ interpretation is not in keeping with the meaning of Paul’s language and second, because it is out of harmony with the system of doctrine taught in the rest of the Scriptures.
These are just blanked statements with no proof.

I reject it on that basis and I am not even an Arminian.
I am a synergist.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The whole problem with that Calvinistic interpretation is that it denies that God wants all men to be saved. 1 Timothy 2:5, 2 Peter 3:9, Titus 2:11
Your doctrine translates it as G4268 prognosis which means forethought.

Did God want to save all men in Noah's day? Did God want to save Sodom and Gomorrah? Did God want to save the nations warring against Israel? Did God want Judas to be saved? If God wants everyone to be saved, why did Christ pray the following...

John 17:9 “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours.

Did God want to save all the nations and tribes the Gospel never reached? For how long do you suppose the Native American Indians lived without ever hearing the Gospel? God does save all kinds of men, from all races, yes His great salvation includes Gentiles. To say that God wants "all men to be saved" as a blanket statement, is an insult to common sense and the entire context of Scripture.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did God want to save all men in Noah's day? Did God want to save Sodom and Gomorrah? Did God want to save the nations warring against Israel? Did God want Judas to be saved? If God wants everyone to be saved, why did Christ pray the following...

John 17:9 “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours.

Did God want to save all the nations and tribes the Gospel never reached? For how long do you suppose the Native American Indians lived without ever hearing the Gospel? God does save all kinds of men, from all races, yes His great salvation includes Gentiles. To say that God wants "all men to be saved" as a blanket statement, is an insult to common sense and the entire context of Scripture.
It looks to me like you have a problem with Scripture then.
1 Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
And the John 17 prayer was a prayer for believers to have unity. Why would He pray for unbelievers to have unity?
Revelation 5:9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse.

Just because we don't understand how God can do something does not mean he can't.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It looks to me like you have a problem with Scripture then.

Nah no problem.

1 Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

ALL in Greek

G3956
πᾶς
pas
pas
Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole:—all (manner of, means) alway (-s), any (one), X daily, + ever, every (one, way), as many as, + no (-thing), X throughly, whatsoever, whole, whosoever.

And the John 17 prayer was a prayer for believers to have unity. Why would He pray for unbelievers to have unity?

True, I'll give you that one.

And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

Scripture interpreting Scripture see: "world"

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse.

So the Gospel is not necessary to salvation?

Just because we don't understand how God can do something does not mean he can't.

True, I'll give you that one too.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation
That word "Every" is also the the Greek word "pas".
So those Indians are included and the tribes from Samoa too and whoever else you can come up with. More on this below.

ALL in Greek

G3956
πᾶς
pas
pas
Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole:—all (manner of, means) alway (-s), any (one), X daily, + ever, every (one, way), as many as, + no (-thing), X throughly, whatsoever, whole, whosoever.
1 Timothy 2:4 with the Word "any" replacing "all"
Who will have any men to be saved.
Who will have as many as men to be saved.

That translation would deny John 3:16 which says "For God so loved the WORLD".
It does not say "For God so loved the Elect.

So the Gospel is not necessary to salvation?
Of course the Gospel is necessary.
If these people sought God instead of there idols, who is to say that God couldn't put somebody there.
He picked Philip up and moved him about 20 miles. Acts 8

Romans 1 says "When they knew God".
Everybody at some point knew God.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation
That word "Every" is also the the Greek word "pas".
So those Indians are included and the tribes from Samoa too and whoever else you can come up with. More on this below.

Unfortunately it would seem you missed the original point.

1 Timothy 2:4 with the Word "any" replacing "all" Who will have any men to be saved.

Who will have as many as men to be saved.

So I emboldened a couple of the meanings, which does not negate the others, now check out the Greek word for "men".

That translation would deny John 3:16 which says "For God so loved the WORLD".It does not say "For God so loved the Elect.

It does say "whosover" and so the next question is, who is "whosoever"? Whosoever it is, has to be interpreted in context with the verses that follow, such as v.18 ".....but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

Of course the Gospel is necessary.
If these people sought God instead of there idols, who is to say that God couldn't put somebody there.
He picked Philip up and moved him about 20 miles. Acts 8
Romans 1 says "When they knew God".
Everybody at some point knew God.

Poor God someone should give him a hand, he need help. They are without excuse because of the law of God in their hearts.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately it would seem you missed the original point.
No, I didn't miss the point. You bolded US to show who these people were that He had redeemed.
I bolded where they came from which is what the Scripture was intended to show.

So I emboldened a couple of the meanings, which does not negate the others, now check out the Greek word for "men".
All of the other meanings for pas are "All, every, the whole, whosoever". None of those words are limiting.
Man = anthropos, human being
What is the point?
It does say "whosover" and so the next question is, who is "whosoever"? Whosoever it is, has to be interpreted in context with the verses that follow, such as v.18 ".....but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."
Of course if whosoever doesn't believe is condemned already.
Poor God someone should give him a hand, he need help. They are without excuse because of the law of God in their hearts.
You do realize that God chose men to preach the Gospel. 1 Corinthians 1:21 Romans 10:14-17

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, I didn't miss the point. You bolded US to show who these people were that He had redeemed.
I bolded where they came from which is what the Scripture was intended to show.

I bolded "us" to show the particular-ness of the passage which has a universal-ness as it speaks to mankind, particulars from the general.

All of the other meanings for pas are "All, every, the whole, whosoever". None of those words are limiting.
Man = anthropos, human being
What is the point?

I suppose the point is, all peoples has a different meaning than folks such as yourself would imply. All peoples is a generality statement, that should be interpreted in light of the numerous passages which are clearly of a particular nature. To take "all men" as a blanket statement does not agree with the greater context of Scripture, the particular contexts, and Scripture is not divided against itself, neither is the Apostle Paul divided against himself.

You do realize that God chose men to preach the Gospel. 1 Corinthians 1:21 Romans 10:14-17

And I realize He didn't ask for their permission.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To take "all men" as a blanket statement does not agree with the greater context of Scripture,
Saying the greater context of Scripture agrees with Calvinism without actually showing any verses is like a blanket statement.
I do not believe the greater context of Scripture says that God elected/chose some for eternal life and others for eternal punishment.

And I realize He didn't ask for their permission.
It looks like you are saying believers don't have freewill either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Saying the greater context of Scripture agrees with Calvinism without actually showing any verses is like a blanket statement.

Or perhaps I took for granted there might be agreement and wished to spare the trouble of posting a wall of particular texts? I could post a list if you really would be interested, but I do not believe it will matter. In all my years of postings here and there very few have ever admitted to being in error publicly, or even privately to me. So why should I be concerned? It's not like the person seeking answers cannot find them.

I do not believe the greater context of Scripture says that God elected/chose some for eternal life and others for eternal punishment.

That's strange, I argue for the greater context of particulars, and YOU equivocate it with double predestination as though that changes what I said, as though I applied that statement of particulars to double predestination. The context for double predestination is not nearly as great as the context for single predestination, however for the person concerned with the truth of the matter, there is enough Scripture evidence.

It looks like you are saying believers don't have freewill either.

Rabbit trails, that's a huge topic, if you really want to know my answer (several posts actually however), READ THIS.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or perhaps I took for granted there might be agreement and wished to spare the trouble of posting a wall of particular texts? I could post a list if you really would be interested, but I do not believe it will matter. In all my years of postings here and there very few have ever admitted to being in error publicly, or even privately to me. So why should I be concerned? It's not like the person seeking answers cannot find them.
Why would I look for verse I don't believe are there?
I have seen this before in debating with Calvinists, when I ask for the verses that state such a doctrine I am just told to do my own research, which leads me to believe that the verses really don't exist.
I will check out your "READ THIS" though.
That's strange, I argue for the greater context of particulars, and YOU equivocate it with double predestination as though that changes what I said, as though I applied that statement of particulars to double predestination. The context for double predestination is not nearly as great as the context for single predestination, however for the person concerned with the truth of the matter, there is enough Scripture evidence.
My apologies, In my experience most Calvinists when they refer to election state that God does elect to hell.

Rabbit trails, that's a huge topic, if you really want to know my answer (several posts actually however), READ THIS.
You are the one who brought it up when you said "He didn't ask for permission" when I cited 1 Corinthians 1:21 and Romans 10:14-17.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why would I look for verse I don't believe are there? I have seen this before in debating with Calvinists, when I ask for the verses that state such a doctrine I am just told to do my own research, which leads me to believe that the verses really don't exist. I will check out your "READ THIS" though.

See you are telling me you don't believe they are there before I even post anything...well, I will post a few Scriptures and point you in a direction knowing it is neigh impossible to convince the already convinced, only God can do that. So plowing like a farmer, here is one resource of many: Particular Redemption

A Few Select Scriptures Supporting A Particular Atonement

Matthew 1:21 ESV
She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for "he will save his people from their sins.”

Ephesians 5:25 ESV
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,

Matthew 20:28 ESV
Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Acts 20:28 ESV
Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.

John 10:11 ESV
I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

John 10:14 ESV
I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me,

John 10:15 ESV
Just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.

John 10:26 ESV
But you do not believe because you are not part of my flock.

John 10:27 ESV
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

John 6:44 ESV
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

Matthew 26:28 ESV
For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Galatians 2:20 ESV
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Hebrews 9:28 ESV
So Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

Ephesians 1:4 ESV
Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world

Romans 5:10 ESV
For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son,

Luke 19:10 ESV
For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

1 Timothy 1:15 ESV
The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.

Mark 14:24 ESV
And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.

Titus 2:14 ESV
Who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession

1 John 5:1 ESV
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him.

Romans 8:33-34 ESV
Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.

Romans 8:32 ESV
He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?

Romans 5:8 ESV
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 1:16 ESV
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

John 4:14 ESV
But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

John 3:18 ESV
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

John 1:13 ESV
Who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

Isaiah 53:11 ESV
Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities.

1 John 4:9-10 ESV
In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

My apologies, In my experience most Calvinists when they refer to election state that God does elect to hell.

Except the topic here is about what foreknew means, not predestination.

You are the one who brought it up when you said "He didn't ask for permission" when I cited 1 Corinthians 1:21 and Romans 10:14-17.

The Creator of the universe doesn't need to ask for permission, neither did He from eternity nor in time for those He chose for salvation in Christ. A spiritually dead person does not ask to be made spiritually alive, nor does the heart of stone have the will to be made flesh. Of course none of these truths necessitate a denial of freedom (limited though it is) within the will of a person. But carry on...

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See you are telling me you don't believe they are there before I even post anything...
If I told you I believed a certain doctrine and I knew you didn't believe that doctrine and I told you "Just look for the verses that support my doctrine, you will find them". How would you respond? Would you say I will look, or would you do a quick scan of the Scriptures or would you say like I did and not search because you don't believe the doctrine I believe in?

Matthew 1:21 ESV
She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for "he will save his people from their sins.”
Are His people the Jews? John 1:11
Or is this referring to all the people on the Earth that He created. Ezekiel 18:4

Matthew 20:28 ESV
Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
"Many" can also be translated "masses". Mark 12:37 translates it "common"
Matthew 26:28 ESV
For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
The same word "many" is in Romans 5:18 to say "many were made sinners".
Was not all of the offspring of Adam made sinners?
Galatians 2:20 ESV
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Is Paul the only one for whom Christ died? That seems to be what this verse says.
Hebrews 9:28 ESV
So Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.
"Many, see my reply on
Matthew 20:28, 26:28
Ephesians 1:4 ESV
Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world
Yes, He chose His church would be
" that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:"

Romans 5:10 ESV
For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son,
Yes, He has reconciled all His enemies to Himself, the whole world. 2 Corinthians 5:18

Luke 19:10 ESV
For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”
I completely agree with this verse.

1 Timothy 1:15 ESV
The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.

Mark 14:24 ESV
And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.
Sinners who do not know God are lost and in need of saving.
1 John 5:1 ESV
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him.
We love Him because He first loved us. For God so loved the world.

Romans 8:33-34 ESV
Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.
The Order of Melchizedek has nothing to do with the lost. It is all about blessing believers.

Romans 8:32 ESV
He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?
This verse is a matter of perspective. Monergists focus on the "us", whereas synergists focus on the "all". And the greater context of Scripture says He died for all. The verses are there if you just look for them.
1 John 2:2 paired with 1 John 5:19

Romans 5:8 ESV
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Yes, He died for all us sinners.
Romans 1:16 ESV
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
It is not the power of God to salvation to those who don't believe.

John 4:14 ESV
But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
And who does He offer it to?
John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

John 1:13 ESV
Who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
The sower sows the Word on all types of ground, and we are born again the incorruptible Seed (Word of God).
So yes, of course it is of His will.
Isaiah 53:11 ESV
Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities.
See note on 1 John 2:2.

Except the topic here is about what foreknew means, not predestination.
Are you making some sort of distinction between foreloved and choosing the elect?

The Creator of the universe doesn't need to ask for permission, neither did He from eternity nor in time for those He chose for salvation in Christ. A spiritually dead person does not ask to be made spiritually alive, nor does the heart of stone have the will to be made flesh. Of course none of these truths necessitate a denial of freedom (limited though it is) within the will of a person. But carry on...
While I was in prison I was talking with another inmate about this very subject.
I asked him if a believer had freewill and he just kept on with unbelievers have a freewill but they will always choose evil. So I asked again about believers, those who have been made alive. I never did get any more of a response than what was already stated. Do you have any answers?

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I told you I believed a certain doctrine and I knew you didn't believe that doctrine and I told you "Just look for the verses that support my doctrine, you will find them". How would you respond? Would you say I will look, or would you do a quick scan of the Scriptures or would you say like I did and not search because you don't believe the doctrine I believe in?

How would? I did respond with a short list of Scriptures and a link with Scriptures and lengthy discourse. Even though I provided Scriptures, you still do not "believe they are there" do you? In every instance your presupposed doctrine is controlling your interpretation of them, hence a waste of my time, and the reason you get responses to the effect of "do your own research". The Gospel of John, and especially Chapter 10, should be sufficient proof of the doctrine of particular redemption, particular election to salvation.

While I was in prison I was talking with another inmate about this very subject. I asked him if a believer had freewill and he just kept on with unbelievers have a freewill but they will always choose evil. So I asked again about believers, those who have been made alive. I never did get any more of a response than what was already stated. Do you have any answers?

Any discussion of free will is pointless without considering the nature of God, and the nature of man, and how "nature" effects the choices of a will and its desires. To further complicate matters, the nature of a Christian and nature of a non-Christian are not the same, it is more complicated in the case of the Christian (Romans Chapter 7 comes to mind).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whenever anybody posts a verse that denies particular redemption a bias comes out so I say to you.
" In every instance your presupposed doctrine is controlling your interpretation of them".

Everybody has a bias. Everybody believes there own doctrine is correct and that influences how they see Scripture.
I suppose we will have to wait till we get to Heaven to find out I am correct. :innocent:

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Whenever anybody posts a verse that denies particular redemption a bias comes out so I say to you. " In every instance your presupposed doctrine is controlling your interpretation of them".

Everybody has a bias. Everybody believes there own doctrine is correct and that influences how they see Scripture. I suppose we will have to wait till we get to Heaven to find out I am correct. :innocent:

I held a bias opposed to Calvinism for roughly 28 years (or 20 not counting ages 1-8), so I try to keep that in mind, remembering where I came from, it is helpful to understanding and tolerating to an extent.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your doctrine translates it as G4268 prognosis which means forethought

These are just blanked statements with no proof.

I reject it on that basis and I am not even an Arminian.
I am a synergist.

Good Day, Doug

Indeed you are .... good luck with that.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The word foreknow or foreknowledge as it is used in the Scriptures, is never connected to events, things or what will happen in the future. It is always in direct connect to people. God fore knows people not happenings.

If He looks down through time to see what man will do then He reacts to man that destroys His immutability. Moreover He learns from what He sees and destroys His omniscience. He must wait on man as well which destroys His sovereignty which destroys His Godhood. It reduces Him to a mere man who must wait, hope, desire and wish for what He cannot garauntee (sp?). That makes Him a God who is worthy of our pity instead of our worship.

BTW, there is another word in the Greek for foresight.

Upvote 0