Rom 2:28,29 Who is the True Jew?

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Who is the True Jew?

Rom 2:28,29 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God.

Being circumcised in heart should not have been a new concept for Jews. The Law of Moses itself says, "Therefore circumcise the foreskin of your heart, and be stiff-necked no longer" Deut 10:16 And concerning a foreshadowing of the New Covenant he says, "the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live." Deut 30:6, which Ezekiel also prophecies, "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh." Eze 36:26

Much of the later chapters of Romans will speak to this issue of true Judaism. But the point here is that God is not concerned with mere ceremony, nor ethnic boundaries. Yet today is not just Jews who make much of their Jewishness in contrast to actual behaving as the people of God should, but many Christians are likewise God's people in name only.

In fact in contrast to making much of the flesh Paul writes, "Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day." 2Cor 4:16 and note his prayer, "I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being" Eph 3:16 Likewise in contrast to the whitewashed wall behavior of religious hypocrisy which is only about the outward appearance, those genuinely born of God produce fruits naturally, from the Spirit who lives in them.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who is the True Jew?

Rom 2:28,29 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God.

Being circumcised in heart should not have been a new concept for Jews. The Law of Moses itself says, "Therefore circumcise the foreskin of your heart, and be stiff-necked no longer" Deut 10:16 And concerning a foreshadowing of the New Covenant he says, "the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live." Deut 30:6, which Ezekiel also prophecies, "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh." Eze 36:26

Much of the later chapters of Romans will speak to this issue of true Judaism. But the point here is that God is not concerned with mere ceremony, nor ethnic boundaries. Yet today is not just Jews who make much of their Jewishness in contrast to actual behaving as the people of God should, but many Christians are likewise God's people in name only.

In fact in contrast to making much of the flesh Paul writes, "Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day." 2Cor 4:16 and note his prayer, "I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being" Eph 3:16 Likewise in contrast to the whitewashed wall behavior of religious hypocrisy which is only about the outward appearance, those genuinely born of God produce fruits naturally, from the Spirit who lives in them.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

Galatians 3:26-28
For in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0