Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not a webmaster, but I am a developer. Have been since the day I got my BS. But I've avoided the front-end, and all my experience is with the middle tier and back-end. I'm a Microsoft guy basically.

What language do you use the most?

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What language do you use the most?
I'm almost exclusively a C# programmer nowadays. I've been at this for a long time, having started with Fortran and run the gamut through C, but it seems there's a great demand for C#, so that's where I've settled.

I imagine you're all over the board with HTML, CSS, Ajax, JavaScript and a bunch of other stuff that I've only had brief exposure to?

Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm almost exclusively a C# programmer nowadays. I've been at this for a long time, having started with Fortran and run the gamut through C, but it seems there's a great demand for C#, so that's where I've settled.

I imagine you're all over the board with HTML, CSS, Ajax, JavaScript and a bunch of other stuff that I've only had brief exposure to?

Indeed. As well as PHP, which is what crunches the numbers with MySQL behind the scenes. Javascript is powerful and is a complete and utter nightmare. It is a messy language with security exploits abound. Sometimes I wish I had started with Assembly and stayed down that path of programming instead of getting into the wild west of the web programming haha

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, it's probably not as bad as I think, but I have made a conscious decision to avoid the front-end as much as possible. Too many differing technologies, and who knows how mature each of them really is and how well they all play together. Give me a C# compiler and SQL Server and I can get most things done.

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've actually gone through several careers in my short 35 years. I did webdesign/dev for several years around 99-2007. Mostly simple, clean designs. I got into CSS/XHTML pretty heavily. I used ColdFusion for a few years with some state agencies, then PHP for some small desgin shops and freelance work.

I joined the military in 2007 and haven't really done any web stuff other than use WordPress and customize a few scripts. I keep a blog, but it's on a free WordPress.com blog that you can't customize and I administer our church website that is a full WordPress site and admin the Facebook account.

Upvote 0

aristocatt

Mar 7, 2017
Maryland
✟8,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I have done a bit of web development.
I built the skeleton of a healthcare app with PHP, MySQL, and the standard front end(HTML, CSS, JS) for a hackathon a while back.
I have also done some fullstack webdev in Node and Python as well, and have worked a bit with websockets in both languages.
I mostly program in python though, and am moving from C/C++ to Rust currently as a lower level language.

Webdev moves way too fast though, it's hard to keep up with everything that is happening unless it is more than just a hobby.

I have to admit though...I really dislike PHP. :(

Reactions: Brent W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aristocatt

Mar 7, 2017
Maryland
✟8,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You are correct it does move fast. PHP has got a lot better with the release of PHP 7. It is still a frustrating language though.
Yeah, I heard PHP 7 was a huge improvement, which is awesome. I may not like it, but I can't ignore how important it is as a language for webdevelopment. Even with Node becoming as popular as it is, I still think PHP is the most sought after language for a webdev. I could be wrong on this though.

• Agree
Reactions: Brent W
Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, I heard PHP 7 was a huge improvement, which is awesome. I may not like it, but I can't ignore how important it is as a language for webdevelopment. Even with Node becoming as popular as it is, I still think PHP is the most sought after language for a webdev. I could be wrong on this though.

This site is behind a Centos 7.3 / Nginx 1.11.10 / PHP 7.1.2 and MariaDB 10.1.21 and it runs very well.

• Informative
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Although I have used ASP .NET, php has been my bread an butter for many years now. I quite like the language, also keen on MySQL (due to its intergration with PHP). Have not used node much, only for a single Angular JS project. Angular JS has some nifty features, but I have really only use its basics like sorting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟203,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have a college certificate in web development and an associates’ degree in web design. HTML, CSS, PHP, basic JavaScript, Java for web development (get your WAR files), SQL, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Wordpress. I concentrated on publishing for awhile, so I also picked up some InDesign and email development too (ouch).

I also read books on XML and AJAX. Not that is useful now. Recently I’ve been trying projects in Node.js. The whole JavaScript framework stuff and NPM is frankly beyond me still. I took Data Structures but Graph databases are still beyond me.

After all my web design research and education, I concluded that I like talking and writing about web design more than actually doing it. When I do something, I much prefer front end work - I like art making much more than math. I also like working with people and talking through a project’s process. When clients or teammates don’t talk to me, it gets miserable to code alone.

This site is behind a Centos 7.3 / Nginx 1.11.10 / PHP 7.1.2 and MariaDB 10.1.21 and it runs very well.
Most forum software is PHP-based from my understanding, including phpbb and Invision Power Board, though I’m not sure what language Discourse is made out of. That could be a JavaScript construction. Wordpress is also PHP-based, so the Wordpress-based forums out there are PHP as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElCamino
Upvote 0

ElCamino

Dec 27, 2021
Culiacan
✟49,889.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a college certificate in web development and an associates’ degree in web design. HTML, CSS, PHP, basic JavaScript, Java for web development (get your WAR files), SQL, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Wordpress. I concentrated on publishing for awhile, so I also picked up some InDesign and email development too (ouch).

I also read books on XML and AJAX. Not that is useful now. Recently I’ve been trying projects in Node.js. The whole JavaScript framework stuff and NPM is frankly beyond me still. I took Data Structures but Graph databases are still beyond me.

After all my web design research and education, I concluded that I like talking and writing about web design more than actually doing it. When I do something, I much prefer front end work - I like art making much more than math. I also like working with people and talking through a project’s process. When clients or teammates don’t talk to me, it gets miserable to code alone.

Most forum software is PHP-based from my understanding, including phpbb and Invision Power Board, though I’m not sure what language Discourse is made out of. That could be a JavaScript construction. Wordpress is also PHP-based, so the Wordpress-based forums out there are PHP as well.

You're really well prepared! :) I've been making a living from web development and support for about 15 years and most of that time I did it without knowing any programming language.

I know forum software and WordPress very well though, and I'm really good at solving problems even when I didn't know programming.

I'm fairly good with JS and Python now, although my goal for the next couple of years is to get away from web development completely.

I want to focus on developing my own websites and make money with ads and affiliate programs. You can make a lot of money doing that without the stress of dealing with clients.

I'm also into digital art, I'd like to spend more time on that as well.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟203,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I want to focus on developing my own websites and make money with ads and affiliate programs. You can make a lot of money doing that without the stress of dealing with clients.

I'm also into digital art, I'd like to spend more time on that as well.
You'll want to focus on social media for the affiliate products you want to sell in order to drive traffic to your site(s). I had fun with affiliate marketing a few years back, but make sure that you scrutinize the potential affiliate's rules as well as the social media TOS. You don't want to misrepresent an affliate's product. A good way to avoid trouble and get more customers is to start a blog in which you provide expert content about whatever knowledge area your products are in. Or a video series, if you're more of a camera person.

My experiment was selling internet marketing books to businesses, so I started a blog about internet marketing and hyped the posts on Twitter. It was really fun to play with.

You can also sell digital art online. Starting a blog about digital art techniques in order to sell your work and taking commissions can get you some cash. You can probably find some digital art affiliates too. I'd check tablet makers like Wacom and XP-Pen, as well as affiliates for digital art software. Think Clip Studio Paint, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, that kind of thing. You could advertise commissions for other artists as well.

• Friendly
Reactions: ElCamino
Upvote 0

ElCamino

Dec 27, 2021
Culiacan
✟49,889.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You'll want to focus on social media for the affiliate products you want to sell in order to drive traffic to your site(s). I had fun with affiliate marketing a few years back, but make sure that you scrutinize the potential affiliate's rules as well as the social media TOS. You don't want to misrepresent an affliate's product. A good way to avoid trouble and get more customers is to start a blog in which you provide expert content about whatever knowledge area your products are in. Or a video series, if you're more of a camera person.

My experiment was selling internet marketing books to businesses, so I started a blog about internet marketing and hyped the posts on Twitter. It was really fun to play with.

You can also sell digital art online. Starting a blog about digital art techniques in order to sell your work and taking commissions can get you some cash. You can probably find some digital art affiliates too. I'd check tablet makers like Wacom and XP-Pen, as well as affiliates for digital art software. Think Clip Studio Paint, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, that kind of thing. You could advertise commissions for other artists as well.

Thanks! :)

Initially, I plan to make a content/niche website. Post as much quality content as I can and SEO the content as best as possible.

I'll focus on the quality of the website first and I don't plan to monetize it until I have at least ~100 articles and maybe at least 5,000 monthly visits.

When I achieve those numbers I plan to apply to AdSense and Amazon. If this project succeeds, then I intend to create new sites on different niches, and hopefully achieve a semi-passive income (I don't think there's ever such a thing as fully passive income.)

The digital art thing is more of a hobby, although I do plan to sell it and maybe make a website about earning money selling digital art on marketplaces like Etsy.

There are a lot of sites like that in English, but I don't think there's a lot in Spanish (or maybe they don't exist at all.)

I want to help people learn how to make money online basically.

Upvote 0