Right Wing Media lies about Net Neutrality

Zlex

Oct 3, 2003
✟5,371.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
The mistake people make is to fall into the well constructed trap of thinking that they're going to wind up paying more for less. That's simply not the case. Yes ISPs are businesses, but they don't just take all their profits off the top and roll about on piles of money - that capital largely is put back into the network to provide better service for their customers - ie you guys.

The internet is not the same place it was when ISPs were mostly providing service through telephone lines. Today it is obvious that not all packets are equal.

Gaming demands low latency, but has fairly low total throughput. VoIP is similar. Downloads demand high throughput, but latency isn't really an issue. There's all sorts of types of traffic, which modern technology like deep packet inspection boxes can identify and deal with according to what that traffic most needs. I've done much the same sort of thing myself, on my own network at home - by setting up a more intelligent queueing method on my cable connection (than the default FIFO), and marking bittorrent traffic with a low priority, I could have torrents running flat-out, and still play online games with normal ping times, since that traffic is inserted into the link before those belonging to the torrents. My torrents are slowed down imperceptibly and completely automatically to allow the gaming traffic through as it's needed. The alternative would be to have an unworkably bad ping for gaming, or to manually throttle the torrents down to a greater degree to give the 'breathing space' the other traffic needed. With a more intelligent traffic management strategy though, I get the best of both worlds. Being able to apply advanced traffic management techniques means you get a better service without it actually taking up any more resources - making more efficient use of what's already there...

That's an ISPs business. Providing you with a service. Why on earth does everyone believe in these scare tactics?

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The mistake people make is to fall into the well constructed trap of thinking that they're going to wind up paying more for less. That's simply not the case. Yes ISPs are businesses, but they don't just take all their profits off the top and roll about on piles of money - that capital largely is put back into the network to provide better service for their customers - ie you guys.

The internet is not the same place it was when ISPs were mostly providing service through telephone lines. Today it is obvious that not all packets are equal.

Gaming demands low latency, but has fairly low total throughput. VoIP is similar. Downloads demand high throughput, but latency isn't really an issue. There's all sorts of types of traffic, which modern technology like deep packet inspection boxes can identify and deal with according to what that traffic most needs. I've done much the same sort of thing myself, on my own network at home - by setting up a more intelligent queueing method on my cable connection (than the default FIFO), and marking bittorrent traffic with a low priority, I could have torrents running flat-out, and still play online games with normal ping times, since that traffic is inserted into the link before those belonging to the torrents. My torrents are slowed down imperceptibly and completely automatically to allow the gaming traffic through as it's needed. The alternative would be to have an unworkably bad ping for gaming, or to manually throttle the torrents down to a greater degree to give the 'breathing space' the other traffic needed. With a more intelligent traffic management strategy though, I get the best of both worlds. Being able to apply advanced traffic management techniques means you get a better service without it actually taking up any more resources - making more efficient use of what's already there...

That's an ISPs business. Providing you with a service. Why on earth does everyone believe in these scare tactics?

That's not the issue. It's fine even now for an ISP to give different streams for different things. The problem is that the ISP companies are trying to say they have the right to change the rate on the same type of file. If you stream a video from Youtube and you stream a video from Veoh, they will both load at the same speed now. The cable companies are trying to say that they should be able to determine which video loads faster than the other, which means that sites providing the same thing are no longer equal. It's a problem if an ISP like Comcast that owns NBC will load NBC's sites videos but won't load ABCs videos at the same rate.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

I agree, why do people believe the scare tactics? All this law is doing is encoding in law the FCC standards that they have attempted to keep in place over the last five year. It needs to be made law because some ISPs want to be able to slow some traffic considerably (actually building in a delay for those packets, not just queue them smarter; which would be legal anyway since it net neutrality does not require a FIFO queue) and feel they shouldn't be forced to obey these FCC standards.

So any scare tactics now about how this will negatively impact the Internet are false since these rules are already in place.

Upvote 0

GodGunsAndGlory

Jan 4, 2008
✟16,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And I though I liked Microsoft.
Ever hear of LINUX ISOs?
Open Office ?
or 1000s of other Open Source Software that is distributed via Torrents?

Most of this stuff you can easily download at your full download speed on source forge with IDM or jDownloader.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
1. The standard is all ISPs do the same thing and the net neutrality liars made it sound like it was forcing searches with their search engine which it was not.

Not what it sounded like to me. It sounded like the ISPs were overriding the standard DNS behaviors, which is a Bad Idea(tm) in a system where a lot of disparate elements need to be compatible.

3. I don't know, maybe in the 2nd paragraph?
Right you are. Sorry to waste your time.

Most of this stuff you can easily download at your full download speed on source forge with IDM or jDownloader.

Don't backpedal now. After all:

GodGunsAndGlory said:
...I know so much more then you about the internet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodGunsAndGlory

Jan 4, 2008
✟16,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not what it sounded like to me. It sounded like the ISPs were overriding the standard DNS behaviors, which is a Bad Idea(tm) in a system where a lot of disparate elements need to be compatible.

Right you are. Sorry to waste your time.

Don't backpedal now. After all:

1. No. If you misspell a domain name, it will go to a search page from your ISP.

2. Hardly a back pedal, very little things are on torrents are legal.

Upvote 0