Visit site
✟881,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She and other friends of Van Spronsen got letters in the mail “just saying goodbye.” He also wrote what she referred to as a manifesto, which she declined to discuss in detail but predicted would be taken by authorities.

Another manifesto? If it contains no calls to violence, that is fine. But if it does, that could just lead to more problems.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
She and other friends of Van Spronsen got letters in the mail “just saying goodbye.” He also wrote what she referred to as a manifesto, which she declined to discuss in detail but predicted would be taken by authorities.

Another manifesto? If it contains no calls to violence, that is fine. But if it does, that could just lead to more problems.

Not sure what you are getting at with that last bit, have there previously been "calls to violence" manifestos that have caused problems?

It's a genuine question, not some kind of gotcha, partisan or otherwise.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Not sure what you are getting at with that last bit, have there previously been "calls to violence" manifestos that have caused problems?

Ever since Trump was elected, more than a few "woke" types have called for open violence against anything they see as "fascistic", "tyrannical", or otherwise "evil"... even when the people and things being so targeted clearly are not.

Antifa in particular has seriously injured several people in different attacks, from a Bernie Bro who refused to surrender his American flag to them to a WWII veteran who was calling them out on their nonsense. They may not have a body count, but it's not for lack of trying, hence why so many people are demanding that they be officially classed as a domestic terror organization.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ever since Trump was elected, more than a few "woke" types have called for open violence against anything they see as "fascistic", "tyrannical", or otherwise "evil"... even when the people and things being so targeted clearly are not.

Antifa in particular has seriously injured several people in different attacks, from a Bernie Bro who refused to surrender his American flag to them to a WWII veteran who was calling them out on their nonsense. They may not have a body count, but it's not for lack of trying, hence why so many people are demanding that they be officially classed as a domestic terror organization.

That's nice.

Anyhoo, hopefully @tall73 can address my question.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟495,121.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟495,121.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Except that they've been pumping themselves up for violence every day, left wing media is instructing them to arm themselves with guns, and if you take a peek on social media, this dead man is being lionized and sainted and held up as an example to follow. In short, what you said was not true.
Guess they need to be killed faster, then.

• Haha
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Except that they've been pumping themselves up for violence every day, left wing media is instructing them to arm themselves with guns,

Indeedy, is there anything worse than people you don't like exercising their 2nd amendment rights?

and if you take a peek on social media, this dead man is being lionized and sainted and held up as an example to follow. In short, what you said was not true.

Took a peek, you are wrong.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟881,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I admit to not having read all of it, but my understanding from the portions I saw was that the Christchurch, New Zealand shooter left a lengthy manifesto detailing his motivations, what he hoped to see happen, and justified violence.

The trend towards justifying violence leads to more escalation. And manifestos that spell out in detail the reason why violence was resorted to, rather than peaceful action, have a potential to lead to more violence. That is concerning to me no matter what group or ideology is involved.

Having said that, I do not agree with New Zealand's censoring of that previous manifesto. I just don't like to see people become possible "inspiration" for more violence.

• Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟881,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except that they've been pumping themselves up for violence every day, left wing media is instructing them to arm themselves with guns, and if you take a peek on social media, this dead man is being lionized and sainted and held up as an example to follow. In short, what you said was not true.

Nithavela is our resident sarcastic, comedic collapsatarian (not an official title, just how I see him).

Read his sentence more carefully. Once they are dead, they are much less violent.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I admit to not having read all of it, but my understanding from the portions I saw was that the Christchurch, New Zealand shooter left a lengthy manifesto detailing his motivations, what he hoped to see happen, and justified violence.

Oh, I get that. Pretty sure the Scandinavian guy did the same.

The trend towards justifying violence leads to more escalation. And manifestos that spell out in detail the reason why violence was resorted to, rather than peaceful action, have a potential to lead to more violence. That is concerning to me no matter what group or ideology is involved.

This is the part that doesn't scan for me. I'm inferring from your post that this is your opinion rather than evidenced. Disappointing, but thanks for responding.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟881,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the part that doesn't scan for me. I'm inferring from your post that this is your opinion rather than evidenced. Disappointing, but thanks for responding.

Can you please explain further. Is the part you are disputing that calls for violence can lead to violence?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Can you please explain further. Is the part you are disputing that calls for violence can lead to violence?

Its the complete lack of evidence that nutjobs writing violent nutjobbery in manifestos lead to violence... or are in anyway more worrying than non calls-to-violence mainfestos.

As to whether calls to violence can lead to violence, I think that's pretty contextual. Someone whipping up a mob who then go do violence 5 minutes later is one thing. Someone being violent because they read something written a few weeks ago that calls for violence I'd say is rare, and I say that because I cannot find any contemporary examples of it.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟881,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its the complete lack of evidence that nutjobs writing violent nutjobbery in manifestos lead to violence... or are in anyway more worrying than non calls-to-violence mainfestos.

As to whether calls to violence can lead to violence, I think that's pretty contextual. Someone whipping up a mob who then go do violence 5 minutes later is one thing. Someone being violent because they read something written a few weeks ago that calls for violence I'd say is rare, and I say that because I cannot find any contemporary examples of it.

The Poway synagogue attacker said he was inspired by the Christ Church attacker. I can't post the link due to content.

You mention contemporary, I am guessing because you would concede Marx influenced Lenin, and many others to a good deal of violence.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟881,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A look at manifestos and their influence by an expert who tracks such things and studies extreme ideologies. It references multiple people inspired by Breivik. It also discusses Elliot Rodger who's writing inspired multiple incel attacks.

The impact can be both ideological, and methodological when they spell that out. He makes reference also to those who draw inspiration from several such works.

The Dangerous Spread of Extremist Manifestos

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tanj
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟881,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status