Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend who is a theologian and we have been talking since I became a Christian last November. He believes that we will receive different rewards in heaven based on the good works we do on earth. He also thinks that it is fine for this (the idea of rewards) to be the motivation for performing good works. I am not a theologian and I haven't read the whole Bible since college-and that was a while ago-but that feels off to me, at least the motivation part. What do you think?
Also, last week on this site I came across a post that said something about different levels of Hell, as if it were common knowledge that there are different levels. Are there different levels of Hell? Like is Hitler going to be worse off than the guy who occasionally lied a little?

It is important to see that the true "born again" believers on earth (as John 3 and John 14; etc.) will in fact stand at the "judgment seat of Christ" in Heaven as to rewards or not (at least BE THERE). All other souls just professing to be believers about God will not be there, but in Hades when they die --- i.e. the holding place now until cast in the "lake of fire": Hell, as shown in Revelation at the end of time. This is not about 'different levels' of Hell.
The 'motivation' as you say, should be the obedience, honor, and faithfulness for love to God that moves us to do as He says in His Holy 'Word Of Truth'. Write me friend if you wish some discussion on Bible studies. Look up always!

Upvote 0

Bro.T--2

Aug 22, 2020
Chicago
✟15,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I have a friend who is a theologian and we have been talking since I became a Christian last November. He believes that we will receive different rewards in heaven based on the good works we do on earth. He also thinks that it is fine for this (the idea of rewards) to be the motivation for performing good works. I am not a theologian and I haven't read the whole Bible since college-and that was a while ago-but that feels off to me, at least the motivation part. What do you think?
Also, last week on this site I came across a post that said something about different levels of Hell, as if it were common knowledge that there are different levels. Are there different levels of Hell? Like is Hitler going to be worse off than the guy who occasionally lied a little?

According to the Bible the worse hell on earth will be at this time. Let's go into Isaiah 66: 22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD. 24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

These verses are beyond us, but not too far. Where is the Lord at this time? In his holy mountain Jerusalem. What will happen when all flesh come up to worship him? They will look upon the carcases of the men that transgressed against Him. Where is the Lake Of Fire?

In Jerusalem. Here is something else. Who are these men that are in the Lake Of Fire? Notice all flesh shall come to worship before the Lord. How can this be? We will find out later. Who are these men that are burning and worms eating on them.

Let's go to Revelation and find out. Revelation 19:19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. 20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

These two are the men that all flesh looked upon when they came up to worship before the Lord. This happened before the great white throne judgment.

Upvote 0

alaric

May 21, 2018
Singapore
✟13,224.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes there are different level of rewards in Heaven and different level of punishment in Hell. Look at what Jesus said about different level of judgement for Capernaum and Sodom.
Matthew 11:20-24 Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades. For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,491.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't have much doubt there will be different levels in Hell. I can't see your average adulterer or liar being punished the same way as Adolf Hitler for example, who was responsible for the deaths of millions, apart from the massive destruction he caused, the tortures, the murders, endless cruelties and incessant lies he told as part of that work.

Personally I think the devil made an attempt to take over the earth using Hitler, but fell short that time.

It gives you some idea though of what the earth would be like if he did succeed - one big concentration camp from one end to the other, ruled over by pitiless tyrants.

As for heaven, Catholics believe the ultimate ecstasy will be to gaze upon the beatific vision. If we get to that point, we won't care what our heavenly status is, as we will be so wrapped up in beholding the essence of God.

There will be greater and lesser saints, depending on how faithfully we carried out our mission, but frankly I don't think we'll care much. If there is a regret, I think it might be looking back on our sins, and also what we didn't do that we should have done - sins of omission.

But I don't think we're going to care about our status in heaven, since our perception of the beatific vision will be so overwhelming. That's all that's going to matter in the end.

Upvote 0