Reverse the curse of Babel, or Babylon by...

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Reverse the curse of Babel, or Babylon by, using multiple different translations in your understanding of it, or they have Bibles that try to translate thought for thought now, instead of all the confusion involved in word to word translation, and they can open up new avenues of understanding...

Comments...?

What are some good thought for thought translations...?

Peace,

God Bless!

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem with "thought for thought" translations is that you are subject to what the translator THOUGHT the author was saying; which may or may NOT be the case.

• Winner
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Reverse the curse of Babel, or Babylon by, using multiple different translations in your understanding of it, or they have Bibles that try to translate thought for thought now, instead of all the confusion involved in word to word translation, and they can open up new avenues of understanding...

Comments...?

Peace,

God Bless!
Not so much about translations but a thought I have had recently. The Babel incident was to confound the languages. The technology we have today has already overcome this. We can talk to anyone in any country using any language and in real time have a voice or text translation of that conversation so that we can understand it. I can send a message through the net and have it translated for me without having to do anything but send the message in my own language.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Comments...?

Peace,

God Bless!
I would avoid the NIV, NLT and other "paraphrases" both because they are paraphrases and also because their bias is very evident in their work.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus' words command that the language curse of Babel be revoked. In order for the gospel to be preached to all nations then communication to all nations must be reinstated. Note that the language curse is only the obvious curse of Babel. The non-obvious curse is that ethnic/race differences will always divide the world; sorry no utopian society until the next age.

Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And the message of salvation is lost to all readers of those translations.
I don't know about that, I trust that the Lord will have preserved a path through what in some cases are some really off base conclusions. We're just better off staying clear of those paraphrased versions, I believe.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about that, I trust that the Lord will have preserved a path through what in some cases are some really off base conclusions. We're just better off staying clear of those paraphrased versions, I believe.
My point is that the message for salvation is very simple and repeated enough such that any translation that does not deliberately try to inject a churches doctrine into the translation will suffice.

Word for word translations still depend on understanding of the text because words do not map word for word between languages. Many times word for word translations sound mechanical and your much lambasted NIV reads far better than those.

As to your claim one would be better off without the NIV, that is as you profess your opinion. Your dissatisfaction with certain verses of said translation amounts to the doctrine that you were taught being at odds with the doctrine of those that were involved in that translation. Obviously some are in agreement with the NIV's understanding of scripture. Regardless the number of contested texts is a small percentage of scripture.

Now the purists/experts always revert to original texts. Problem is, as observed in CF, they still disagree on meaning and in the end revert to an understanding they were taught in their seminary which is usually denomination based which has the baggage of their doctrine.

And, how edifying would it be for the Church if CF was conducted in original languages? I guarantee, the forum would be dead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clovis Man

LCMS - Recovering Baptist
Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Clovis, New Mexico USA
✟53,767.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And, how edifying would it be for the Church if CF was conducted in original languages? I guarantee, the forum would be dead.

I suspect rather than being dead, it would be populated by Greeks and Romans and Jews and whoever else speaks something close to those languages natively.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
And the message of salvation is lost to all readers of those translations.
Not if you can get the "thought" intended, or the true meaning among multiple translations...

I think it could lead to a new awakening...

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suspect rather than being dead, it would be populated by Greeks and Romans and Jews and whoever else speaks something close to those languages natively.
You miss the point. This is an English speaking web site. The number of the English speaking Church that would be edified by discussing doctrine in Hebrew and Greek would be so small and there would still not be agreement of doctrine. Further, it would not be an economically viable business and the web site would die.

The insistence that the message of God can not be adequately translated into native languages goes against Jesus command to preach what he taught to all nations.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You miss the point. This is an English speaking web site. The number of the English speaking Church that would be edified by discussing doctrine in Hebrew and Greek would be so small and there would still not be agreement of doctrine. Further, it would not be an economically viable business and the web site would die.

The insistence that the message of God can not be adequately translated into native languages goes against Jesus command to preach what he taught to all nations.
It would lead to less complicated and confusing and simpler and perhaps more correct "doctrine", that would be a purer doctrine, I think...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Not if you can get the "thought" intended, or the true meaning among multiple translations...

I think it could lead to a new awakening...
It could cause us to "burn away irrelevancies until we are left with a purer product, the truth", and a more correct doctrine...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It would lead to less complicated and confusing and simpler and perhaps more correct "doctrine", that would be a purer doctrine, I think...

In the very first century, a.d., those who opposed Jesus and sought to kill Him, had the best 'scripture' and Jesus the very WORD of GOD also was present.

They still rejected Him.

This happened multitudes of times since then - as doctrines did not come from God's Word, even when it was truest and known,
let alone later as men got further and further from the truth.

With the great increase in knowledge and translations, more and more false doctrines appeared. Very popular too. Wide road and all....

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My point is that the message for salvation is very simple and repeated enough such that any translation that does not deliberately try to inject a churches doctrine into the translation will suffice.

Word for word translations still depend on understanding of the text because words do not map word for word between languages. Many times word for word translations sound mechanical and your much lambasted NIV reads far better than those.

As to your claim one would be better off without the NIV, that is as you profess your opinion. Your dissatisfaction with certain verses of said translation amounts to the doctrine that you were taught being at odds with the doctrine of those that were involved in that translation. Obviously some are in agreement with the NIV's understanding of scripture. Regardless the number of contested texts is a small percentage of scripture.

Now the purists/experts always revert to original texts. Problem is, as observed in CF, they still disagree on meaning and in the end revert to an understanding they were taught in their seminary which is usually denomination based which has the baggage of their doctrine.

So, you were being sarcastic? :) Just remember, if somebody doesn't know you they might not know how to take that.

I agree with you although I still see a bias present in translations like the NIV. Where it does read well, it adds to Scripture in various places based on their own dispensational paradigm taking the ability of the reader to come to their own conclusions. The reader is almost forced into the bias of the translator because they have put their trust in the words without knowing additions have been made. For example...

Mark 7:19 For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

In the above verse, the underlined is not represented in the Greek. This is added based only on personal dispensational bias. Even if it is correct, it is wrong to add in this manner for the reason I already shared.

Colossians 2:17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

The word "were" is added to the text, not represented in the Greek. It turns something present tense, the Sabbath and feasts are a shadow of things to come, into something that has happened already, past tense. Not only can I prove this false, I can be entirely wrong and still be right about the fact that they added "were" to the text based only on their own bias.

So I agree, it reads better, I even use it to quote from time to time depending on how something is being said. But to place trust in it as a reliable representation of the Greek texts (in the case of the NT) is something I, personally, can't do.

Peace.
Ken

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Comments...?

Peace,

God Bless!
By the way, esword is free and rivals any bible program that costs hundreds. It comes with many bible versions and there are sites out there where people have made their own modules... you can easily put together a $500 program for free.

• Useful
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
By the way, esword is free and rivals any bible program that costs hundreds. It comes with many bible versions and there are sites out there where people have made their own modules... you can easily put together a $500 program for free.
Thanks man... I'm checking it out...

God Bless!

Upvote 0