Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“When I saw Him I fell at His feet as though dead. But He laid His right hand upon me, saying ‘Fear not, I Am the first and the last, and the living One, I died, and behold I Am alive forever more, and I have the keys of death and Hades. Now write what you see, and what is to take place hereafter.” (Rev.1.17-19)

When a righteous person is faced with the King of kings, they crumble beneath His glory. Does this mean that they do not know of G-d’s mercy? We suspect rather that what they know is that mercy is in the hands of G-d, and it is arrogance to assume you’re worthy to stand before Him and look Him in the eye.

We will agree fully that we are saved by grace, but most fall short of perfection and must be refined either here on earth, purgatory (Purgatory is a mercy which depends on others prayers), or the life’s tribulation.

John knew this, and being humble, put his fate in the hands of the King, to decide his righteous. In other words, he was saying in his heart “L-rd I am not worthy to receive You, but only say the Word and I shall be healed.” Christ response was “Fear not.” John salvation was solid ... his humility only reinforced this.

Also, when Revelation seems to make sense this too should be our reaction, whether you are the one reading with understanding or the one reporting on what is heard. Fact is, most seals are broken before things become clear or they are subtle, or past history, like the first seal or the the significance of the falling of the Berlin Wall, Rev.1.2-4, or the Last Status Talks as regards Oslo, Zech.12.3. Secondly the first letter to Ephesus is all about judging wisely and the risks of not doing so.

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ then links himself to His Father: “I Am the first and the last, and the living One.” The Father is the Alpha and Omega, and so is the Messiah. This further is the Messiah who was crucified, died, and was buried, and Who on the third day rose again, and ascended into heaven and is seated at HaShem’s right hand.

He also has “the keys of death and Hades”. Theses keys are in His hand, which is why seeing Him caused John to fall down in obeisance. John is to write exactly what he sees--this is important to understand, because what he saw was our day...our modern day. This fact alone helps us better understand Rev.9, because its modern warfare in 1st century language.

Just as we find John language sometimes confusing, John found the images of our time highly confusing. He couldn’t explain the sound of helicopters by any other way than, “the noise of many chariots with horses rushing into battle” (Rev.9.9). This is both another clue and challenge to understanding Revelation: we need to see even images within this book with first century Jewish eyes, Cat.110:

In order to discover the sacred authors’ intension, the reader must take into account the conditions of their time, and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, the modes of feelings, speaking, and narrating “For the fact is that truth is differently presented and expressed in various types of historical writing, in prophetical and poetical texts, and in other forms of literary expression”. (DV 12 § 2)

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“As the mystery of the seven stars which you saw at my right hand, and the seven golden lampstands, the seven stars (messengers) are angles of the seven assembles and the seven lampstands are the seven assembles.” (Rev.1.20)

This is a mystery because what was once known by a selected number would not be known by the growing Church until the time appointed. These Seven golden lamps (or cups of a united lamp) stands already discussed, that belong to the two witnesses (Zech.4.3-4, Rev.11.4).

The Seven Stars are seven “aggles” often interpreted “Angles” however it also means messenger. Star is also not simply star, “ester” but this word has a suffix “es” which the old meaning meant “resembles”. So these are not stars but resemble stars. Therefore these messengers resemble stars likely resemble angles in their messages illuminate the text.

The seven lampstands are the seven assemblies, that will be described in detail in the next two chapters. Again, these are contemporary assembles, not denominational Churches of the past.

For example, the first assembly who hears from the Spirit of Balance is warned to judge wisely...this is the leadership of the 20th century body. All of the established Churches have judged both wise and unwisely at least sometime in their tenure. Indeed, we believe there is no coincidence that the very first assembly is a call to fair judgment, and siding with mercy when in doubt. The understanding of Revelation requires that humble position.

This is because so much of what helps explain this book is Jewish mystical teaching and traditions--not Christian. This fact is also part of that song for which we are told:

“No one could learn that song except the hundred forty four thousand who have been redeemed from the earth.” (14.3)

This chapter therefore ends in warning us we are to be like John when reading Revelation, humble and open, because without these two attributes, this book will never make sense.

Upvote 0