United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shalom All,

WARNING: There is some rank speculation involved here. Substantiation or refutation is invited if constructive. More speculation is invited too. ;)

There is historical and scriptural evidence that the early Messianics were indeed a sect and subset of Judaism. But persecutions by both the Jewish establishment and the Roman authorities over a long period of time drove a wedge between them. There were of course, individual incidents that contributed greatly to this rift. The Bar Kokhba revolt was a pivotal moment in history for Messianics when Rabbi Akivah demanded the Messianic Jews renounce their allegiance to Y'shua (Jesus) and support Simon Bar Kokhba as Messiah. The Messianic Jews for the most part removed to Jordan at the sight of the the prophecies of Messiah coming to pass. There they suffered few persecutions. The same could not be said for the Jews that remained to resist the Roman army.

Over the course of the next two centuries, the ratio of believing Jews in the Messianic congregations changed drastically in comparison to the swelling numbers of Gentile believers. And there was of course, a corresponding change in the leadership of the congregations. This was a fact not lost on certain Romans that sought to co-opt the growing movement by outlawing everything Jewish but supporting Gentile believers that 'toed the official party line'. Rome would consolidate political power under a state religion that incorporated all of the major celebrations of paganism into 'Christianity'. But I am not telling you anything new. This is well documented as both the Rabbis and the Romans were prodigious record keepers.

Now I am not insinuating anything sinister here concerning contemporary Messianic views. It is only that a person's background greatly influence their perceptions. The political expediency that fomented traditions and histories based on the lies that sprung up around the followers of Messiah is long past. The persons responsible for these untruths have long since past away. But their legacy lives on in the people that that were trained in them and the children that they in turn trained. This is true of Jew and Gentile alike as both groups have traditions and beliefs that are mutually exclusive and that contradict both scripture and the historical record in some way. In short, we all have room for improvement.

To get back to the truth, reliable context is everything. Case in point would be the book of the Revelation. Most Messianics are familiar with the writings of Alfred Edersheim. There are many examples of the symbolism of the Temple and its service found in the Revelation according to him. Following in this vein, there is also for your consideration, an excerpt from an article at Wikipedia:
Polycrates is best known for his letter addressed to the Roman Bishop Victor who was attempting to find a consensus about the proper date to celebrate Easter, see also Quartodecimanism.

The Church historian Eusebius wrote,

A question of no small importance arose at that time. For the parishes of all Asia, as from an older tradition, held that the fourteenth day of the moon, on which day the Jews were commanded to sacrifice the lamb, should be observed as the feast of the Saviour's passover...But it was not the custom of the churches in the rest of the world...But the bishops of Asia, led by Polycrates, decided to hold to the old custom handed down to them. He himself, in a letter which he addressed to Victor and the church of Rome, set forth in the following words the tradition which had come down to him. (Eusebius, Church History, Book V, Chapter 23, Chapter 24).
Here is what Eusebius records that Polycrates wrote,

We observe the exact day; neither adding, nor taking away. For in Asia also great lights have fallen asleep, which shall rise again on the day of the Lord's coming, when he shall come with glory from heaven, and shall seek out all the saints. Among these are Philip, one of the twelve apostles, who fell asleep in Hierapolis; and his two aged virgin daughters, and another daughter, who lived in the Holy Spirit and now rests at Ephesus; and, moreover, John, who was both a witness and a teacher, who reclined upon the bosom of the Lord, and, being a priest, wore the sacerdotal plate. He fell asleep at Ephesus. And Polycarp in Smyrna, who was a bishop and martyr; and Thraseas, bishop and martyr from Eumeneia, who fell asleep in Smyrna. Why need I mention the bishop and martyr Sagaris who fell asleep in Laodicea[disambiguation needed ], or the blessed Papirius, or Melito the Eunuch who lived altogether in the Holy Spirit, and who lies in Sardis, awaiting the episcopate from heaven, when he shall rise from the dead? All these observed the fourteenth day of the passover according to the Gospel, deviating in no respect, but following the rule of faith. And I also, Polycrates, the least of you all, do according to the tradition of my relatives, some of whom I have closely followed. For seven of my relatives were bishops; and I am the eighth. And my relatives always observed the day when the people put away the leaven.
This would indicate to me, why John was allowed into the High Priest's residence during the examination of Y'shua and also gained admission for Peter into the courtyard. I am fairly sure attendance to an event of this nature (extraordinary as it was), would have been restricted to the leaders of Israel, household servants and Temple guards. The only possible exception would be relatives. If this line of inquiry is valid, and John was indeed trained from childhood for the Priesthood, then it would also offer a whole new perspective to his writings, including the Revelation and all of the Temple symbolism found therein. So, what if John were from a priestly family and a relative of the High Priest?

A few years ago, J.R. Church authored a comparison of the Gospel of John and the Book of Revelation. It showed that both followed the same form in each chapter - topic for topic, and subject for subject. So there might be more to this that Dr. Church realized if both were ordered by the symbolism and order of the Temple service.

Recently, I was privileged to hear a presentation showing all of the elements of the Feast of Yom Kippur Temple service, that is both the morning and evening services, represented in the book of the Revelation. To someone steeped in the culture of first century Temple worship, most of the references would be obvious. And even more so to someone trained to the Temple Priesthood. To those of us not so indoctrinated, it was an epiphany. The case was fairly well made though not all of the presenter's views were completely upheld. I was nonetheless excited to independently examine some of the symbolism and scriptural references for myself.

It is widely accepted that John was a political prisoner on the Isle of Patmos at the time of the writing of the book of the Revelation. Much as English-speaking WWII prisoners communicated in "pig-latin" during their incarcerations in Japanese POW camps, I'm fairly sure that John would have been "wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove" in the transcription of his vision. I'm not sure how much of this would qualify as 'dark sayings' as it is characterized as a 'revelation' or something revealed. So if this is a case where the book of the Revelation is both allegorical and topical, couched in the terms of Temple service and context unfamiliar to his captors, then there is much to be revealed about the vision based on this context.

Likewise, the same could be said about much of the epistles that laid the foundation for the early traditions of the Messianics. Perhaps there is much that is missed in reading the letters of the early church fathers. Perhaps there were more than just subtle hints, but to the uninitiated, hints and references that eluded the most diligent of the saints, simply because they were not equipped to recognize them. Perhaps, some of these tradition are established because of cultural traditions and boundaries and not because of diligence or lack thereof. Just a thought.

While I seem to digress into the realm of pure speculation and 'thinking out loud', I was wondering:
There is some very tenuous supposition linking John to the house of the Zadokim, though through no credible documentation. Don't recall where I read that little tidbit. However, here are some things to consider should this too, prove to be a valid line of inquiry.

The Zadokim (the rightful heirs of the High Priesthood) were still custodians of David's tomb at the time of our Messiah. The relatively autonomous existence of these Aaronic priests and the existence of a large upper room in the structure, lend themselves to certain scriptural possibilities. These include the possible abdication of the seat of honor and authority for the Ta'anit B'Khorim of Rav Y'shua, the possible location of the refuge where the 120 talmidim hid themselves while waiting out the ten days til Shavuot and the location of the pouring out of the Spirit of Promise. Just tossed that out there for your entertainment and comments.

OK, back to the program in progress...

At any rate, there is a very certain order to the morning and evening Temple services, especially on Yom Kippur. The High Priest was required to oversee all of these duties for a week prior to the Yom Kippur service. The cleaning and lighting of the Menorah, the opening of the Temple to morning worship, the daily sacrifice - everything.

What is compelling about the arguments I heard is this: Almost every word spoken by the Master to the congregations can be tied to scripture or historical record concerning the ministry of the Temple priests or the coming of the Messiah. The actions recorded in the Revelation all were ordered to match the preparation and opening of the Temple. The theme followed that of the traditions of Yom Kippur as a day of Atonement and Judgment were too. In short, everything is a fit.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟140,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Before I commit to participate, is this thread for any MJ's? or MJ's who hold a Torah scroll? :)
I don't know if I have that ability. Do I? What problems do you anticipate?

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟140,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shalom All,

I am surprised that no comments were forthcoming. You are not characteristically a shy group. Anyway, I decided to continue a bit and see if it sparks any interest.

I would ask that those that disagree with the comparison I offer here to hold their peace. I do NOT want this to turn into a referendum on a particular doctrine or theology. Hopefully, we are simply looking for relationships in the Revelation to the Temple service based on symbolic and idiomatic references and what those relationships might reveal. So please restrict your comments to those relationships. - Thanks you.

NOTE: All quotes are from Alfred Edershiem's "The Temple - Its Ministry and Services" unless otherwise noted. All scripture quotes are from the KJV.

It is my purpose to show the book of the Revelation as viewed from the perspective of the Yom Kippur Temple service. The two divisions of forty-two months that make up the seven year period are representative of the morning and evening service in the Temple. I find it interesting that the first three and one half years that encompass the time of the "peace treaty" relate to the daylight hours and the second half that is filled with the judgment relate to the nighttime.

I wrote an earlier post about the Apostle John that might be considered groundwork for the following posts. To some this might be considered controversial, but I hope rather, that it qualifies as interesting and encouraging.

The main points I wish to emphasize from these earlier posts are the letter of Polycrates, the Bishop of Ephesus, relating John’s strict observance of the Passover and Sabbaths and his relationship to the priesthood, more specifically the Zadokim, the rightful heirs of the High Priesthood. Given that relationship (if it is indeed a given) the rich symbolism of the Temple service in heaven is more readily understood by the first-century Messianic Jew. This priestly background would have made him uniquely qualified to observe the Temple service in heaven and relate what he saw in terms that the Priests, Levites and indeed all the first-century observant Jews would understand. But there are subtleties that would have only be understood by the High Priesthood, so it makes me wonder if portions of this revelation were specifically addressed to them, holding up Y'shua as the High Priest in heaven.

It is worthy of note that the High Priest has two sets of garments that he wears on Yom Kippur. There are the garments of beauty that is normally worn by the High Priest. They include the ephod, the tunic, the mitre and breastplate described in Leviticus. But there are also the white linen garments that are worn only once a year. They are worn when entering behind the Veil of Life, when the blood of the sacrifice is sprinkled before the ark. This information invites another comparison:

When Y'shua absence from the sepulchre was discovered, His garments were found neatly folded. So what garments was He wearing after His resurrection? Where did they come from and what did they look like? We can only presume that the angels that attended Him brought them. What is interesting to me is what they looked like.
Joh 20:15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
Well, this scripture begs the question, how did gardeners dress in the days of the Messiah? It seems that gardeners wore simple white linen garments and a white turban to cover them from the sun and reflect heat. These garments are remarkably similar to what the High Priest wore when bearing the blood of the sacrifice into the Holy of Holies. The following scriptures further substantiate this presumption:
Joh 20:16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
Joh 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
No one could touch the High Priest while dressed thus and carrying the blood of the sacrifice lest both the High Priest and the offering be defiled. And this seems to be the main thrust of His admonition to Mary. So how is He described in the early chapters of the Revelation? Before we address this question, we must keep in mind that throughout the vision that John is seeing into the heavenly Temple.
Rev 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
This is particularly interesting to me because the Day of the Lord’s Wrath, The great and terrible Day of the Lord, the Day of the Lord’s Judgment is often simply referred to as the Lord’s Day. It is also most often associated with Yom Kippur in ancient Hebraic texts. I think the trumpet mentioned here is also of interest because the Jubilee is declared on Yom Kippur with a great trumpet blast and the Temple doors are opened for the morning service in the same manner. Either may be applicable though the latter is more likely early on. In any case, the popular assumption that John was in the Spirit on the Sabbath and that this is the first day of the week (the day that the Romans observed for their day of worship) is presumptuous and in error. John, a Torah observant Jew would have observed the seventh day Sabbath.
Rev 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
Rev 1:12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;
Rev 1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
Rev 1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
Rev 1:15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
Here is an obvious mention of the Menorah, the seven golden lampstands. And here is the Master dressed in the linen garments, presumptively of the High Priest on Yom Kippur, that being His office as described elsewhere in scripture. His appearing barefoot is consistent with the priests in the Temple. They were required to go barefoot because the Temple proper was considered holy ground, as I am sure the heavenly Temple is too. The notable exception in this description of High Priest dress is the golden girdle. The High Priest wore a white girdle that was sixteen or seventeen feet long. It was wrapped around the body seven times and tied in a knot in the front on each successive pass. But this too is consistent with Y'shua in the office of High Priest because, while white linen that depicts purity is a given with Y'shua, gold represents divinity and kingship throughout scripture.

There are five basic things that are present in the preparation for every morning Temple service.

1. The Temple and Altar are cleaned.
2. The Menorah is cleaned, re-wicked, refilled and re-lit.
3. The incense is prepared.
4. The sacrifice is prepared.
5. The Temple doors are opened to welcome the worshipers with the sounding of the shofar (or Trumpet depending) at the advent of the sunrise.

So far, we have seen the High Priest Y'shua, barefoot and in the traditional dress reserved only for Yom Kippur, next to the Menorah. He prepares to speak to the seven churches.. It should be noted here that the order of service changed with each service, but the duties and the order of service up to the offering of the daily sacrifice remained basically the same. The daily Temple service differed from the Sabbath service, the new Moon service, with each Feast day and the eventuality of Sabbaths falling on New Moon or Feast day, etc. in terms of the number, type and order of sacrifices offered.

The Temple priests changed shifts in twelve-hour intervals but with a certain amount of overlap. For instance the priest of the night shift would offer the morning sacrifice and vice versa, but the Sabbath sacrifice was offered later in the morning to allow for more worshippers to attend. The priest would receive their duties by lot, each according to the level of service to which they were called.

But during the week preceding Yom Kippur, the High Priest would take up residence in the Temple proper to oversee and practice every aspect of the upcoming Yom Kippur service. He could walk in and take over any duty without announcement, and often did. Plus this Feast was markedly different than all others in terms of order of service and the types and sheer number of special sacrifices. Up to five hundred priests were required to minister on that day.

The High Priest on Yom Kippur would enter the Holy Place and prepare the Menorah. Five of the lamps would be cleaned, have new wicks placed in them and filled with oil while two would remain lit. This is strangely similar to the admonitions that Y'shua gives to the seven churches. Two churches received praise. Their light was still shining. The rest received rebukes and a warning that the Master would remove their lamp if they did not repent. In this manner, the Master is cleansing the Temple on earth (the body of believers where His Spirit dwells).

I once did a post on the nature of light and showed from scripture that light, being an idiom for knowledge, wisdom and the understanding of things holy, was in fact, characterized as the fear of the Lord. So now, gentle reader, dwell for a moment if you will on the sermon that could be preached on the following: Through repentance, prayer and supplication, our being cleaned (granted a clean heart), re-wicked (and a right spirit), re-filled with oil (the Holy Spirit) and lit (baptized with fire) that His light might shine through us!

OK, how are we doing so far?

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟140,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You narrowed down your audience too much, I think. I like the topic, btw.
Thanks Brother, :wave:

I think many are slogging through the details and waiting to see which direction I'm going to take it. We'll see! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Shalom All,

WARNING: There is some rank speculation involved here. Substantiation or refutation is invited if constructive. More speculation is invited too. ;)

A few years ago, J.R. Church authored a comparison of the Gospel of John and the Book of Revelation. It showed that both followed the same form in each chapter - topic for topic, and subject for subject. So there might be more to this that Dr. Church realized if both were ordered by the symbolism and order of the Temple service.

It is widely accepted that John was a political prisoner on the Isle of Patmos at the time of the writing of the book of the Revelation. Much as English-speaking WWII prisoners communicated in "pig-latin" during their incarcerations in Japanese POW camps, I'm fairly sure that John would have been "wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove" in the transcription of his vision. I'm not sure how much of this would qualify as 'dark sayings' as it is characterized as a 'revelation' or something revealed. So if this is a case where the book of the Revelation is both allegorical and topical, couched in the terms of Temple service and context unfamiliar to his captors, then there is much to be revealed about the vision based on this context.

What is compelling about the arguments I heard is this: Almost every word spoken by the Master to the congregations can be tied to scripture or historical record concerning the ministry of the Temple priests or the coming of the Messiah. The actions recorded in the Revelation all were ordered to match the preparation and opening of the Temple. The theme followed that of the traditions of Yom Kippur as a day of Atonement and Judgment were too. In short, everything is a fit.

Thoughts?
Ooops never mind.....just saw this was MJ Only

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟140,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shalom All,

To continue: What an amazing correlation exists between what Y'shua said to the congregations and the Temple services.
During the night the ‘captain of the Temple’ made his rounds. On his approach the guards had to rise and salute him in a particular manner. Any guard found asleep when on duty was beaten, or his garments were set on fire—a punishment, as we know, actually awarded. Hence the admonition to us who, as it were, are here on Temple guard, ‘Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments’ (Rev 16:15).
Now observe:
Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
This is remarkably similar in content to the warning to the church at Sardis:
Rev 3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
Rev 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
In ancient times, those Levites found without physical blemish and qualified in every other way were appointed to the priesthood. Now look at this:
Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
When a Levite was appointed to the priesthood, he was given a white robe, his name was written in the Temple registry on the scroll of Priests and his name was confessed before the Sanhedrin. So this too appears to be another Temple analogy.

It is common during a cold mountain morning for the Levites to gather in an inner chamber next to a fire to warm their bare feet. And those on the night shift might become sleepy before the chores in preparation of the morning service were complete. The chief among them would make his rounds and knock on the door of these chambers to see if those inside were awake and would answer. Sometimes he would bring bread to share with those that were watching for his coming.
But then the preparations for the service of the morning required each to be early astir. The priest whose duty it was to superintend the arrangements might any moment knock at the door and demand entrance. He came suddenly and unexpectedly, no one knew when. The Rabbis use almost the very words in which Scripture describes the unexpected coming of the Master (Mark 13:35), when they say, ‘Sometimes he came at the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]-crowing, sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later. He came and knocked, and they opened to him.
Now notice the similarity:
Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
And there is this:
Rev 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
The hidden manna is an obvious reference to the Bread of Life and the white stone is complimentary to that concept. In the first century, an overcomer such as an Olympic champion would be given a “Victor’s Stone”. It was a white stone with their name engraved on it. The holder of such an honor would be supported by their hometown or village for the rest of their life. They were exempt from taxes, all food and merchandise that was needful to them was supplied for free. All they were required to do was to show their “Victor’s Stone”. In Y'shua’s day, if a person went before a judge, the verdict was announced with a stone. If the person received a dark stone then he was condemned. But if he received a white stone, then there was no condemnation and he was free. So, perhaps Y'shua is saying to the overcomer that He will never condemn him and he can go anywhere in His city and receive whatever He need for free forever. Hallelujah!

Another interesting mention in His first description of His Divine Self to the congregations has to do with His relationship to the seven stars:
Rev 3:1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
These stars are mentioned in Job and Amos as the Plaeides and the Seven Sisters. There are several things that are remarkable about this constellation. And this is where I will pause, continue in my next post...

I hope this blesses you.
In His Love,

Reactions: etZion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟140,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm in awe. Keep 'em coming, this is very good.
Thanks, but I really don't deserve any credit. I'm just comparing the works of a very talented and well informed man and the revelation of Y'ashua as shared with the talmid that Y'shua loved. Believe me. I'm the one in awe. :bow:

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
NOTE: All quotes are from Alfred Edershiem's "The Temple - Its Ministry and Services" unless otherwise noted. All scripture quotes are from the KJV.?
Is this the same one you mentioned on the initial post...
a presentation showing all of the elements of the Feast of Yom Kippur Temple service, that is both the morning and evening services, represented in the book of the Revelation.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
This is one of my favorite subjects.. the study of the Temple and its services in relationship to the events foretold in Revelation.

I do believe that if we do not see revelation from that perspective, we will not understand the who, what, where, or when...

Revelation 11:19 The temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple the ark of His testament.
The ark of God's testament is in the Holy of Holies, and served "unto the example and shadow of heavenly things," in the earthly sanctuary. Only on the Yom Kippur was there any cleansing of the Holy sanctuary itself.

While the earthly sanctuary did have the yearly, animal blood ceremonial services, there were but the rehearsal of the true event that will happen in Heaven's Sanctuary. So what needs to be cleaned out in God's Temple?

Upvote 0