Christian
May 21, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Mandy

You didn't really answer my question though, why did Jesus return then? Revelation is not written to be so symbolic that everything would be so obscured. Revelation is an unveiling not a veiling.

Jesus returned then because that's when He said he would return:

“Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." Mat. 24:34

“Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place." Luke 21:32

“Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." Mark 13:30

“Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.” Mat. 16:28

“But whenever they persecute you in one city, flee to the next; for truly I say to you, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel until the Son of Man comes." Mat. 10:23

Revelation was written to "the seven churches of Asia", not to you Mandy. It is written in what is called apocalyptic language. That style of writing is based on symbolism, mostly because, AGAIN, it is concerning jews, judaism and it is using jewish poetic imagery. If you cannot understand this, I am afraid I cannot explain it any better.

The psalm that says "the cattle on a thousand hills belong to God" means anything to you? I am curious how you interpret that passage...

Upvote 0

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00
Originally posted by Pericles

Jesus returned then because that's when He said he would return:

“Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." Mat. 24:34

“Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place." Luke 21:32

“Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." Mark 13:30

“Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.” Mat. 16:28

“But whenever they persecute you in one city, flee to the next; for truly I say to you, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel until the Son of Man comes." Mat. 10:23

Revelation was written to "the seven churches of Asia", not to you Mandy. It is written in what is called apocalyptic language. That style of writing is based on symbolism, mostly because, AGAIN, it is concerning jews, judaism and it is using jewish poetic imagery. If you cannot understand this, I am afraid I cannot explain it any better.

The psalm that says "the cattle on a thousand hills belong to God" means anything to you? I am curious how you interpret that passage...

No, I'm not asking why Jesus returned then, I was asking why did He return. Did it possibly occur to you that perhaps Jesus was referring to the generation that would see these things? Well I guess you have to make Revelation to be written in the style you say it was written to support your preterist doctrine.

Upvote 0

Pericles

Christian
May 21, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Christian

No, I'm not asking why Jesus returned then, I was asking why did He return. Did it possibly occur to you that perhaps Jesus was referring to the generation that would see these things? Well I guess you have to make Revelation to be written in the style you say it was written to support your preterist doctrine.

Who said anything about Revelation? Every time I present you with biblical evidence you switch subjects and ask me a question instead of providing an answer. Jesus must have been pretty ignorant to call a generation thousands of years later "this generation". On top of that, I wasn't aware that the apostles are still alive today, preaching the gospel from city to city in Israel. You got it all figured out didn't you? :)

Upvote 0

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00

Who said anything about Revelation? Every time I present you with biblical evidence you switch subjects and ask me a question instead of providing an answer. Jesus must have been pretty ignorant to call a generation thousands of years later "this generation". On top of that, I wasn't aware that the apostles are still alive today, preaching the gospel from city to city in Israel. You got it all figured out didn't you? :)

Look, you were the one who mentioned the writing style of Revelation and you are avoiding my questions and putting words in my mouth. I have got enough figured out to live my life unto God and occupy until he comes. Since you are insisting on turning this into a personal debate, then as far as I'm concerned this debate is over.

Upvote 0

Pericles

Christian
May 21, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Christian

Look, you were the one who mentioned the writing style of Revelation and you are avoiding my questions and putting words in my mouth. I have got enough figured out to live my life unto God and occupy until he comes. Since you are insisting on turning this into a personal debate, then as far as I'm concerned this debate is over.

You may take this personally, but I am not. I simply asked if the apostles are still alive today, preaching the gospel from city to city in Israel, since you obviously believe that Christ didn't return yet. Again, here are my biblical references:

Upvote 0

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00

You may take this personally, but I am not. I simply asked if the apostles are still alive today, preaching the gospel from city to city in Israel, since you obviously believe that Christ didn't return yet. Again, here are my biblical references:

Matthew 16:28 is in reference to Jesus' tranfiguration, which is just a verse or 2 below and is not referring to His second coming.

Kingdom:
932 basileia bas-il-i'-ah

from 935; properly, royalty, i.e. (abstractly) rule, or (concretely) a realm (literally or figuratively):--kingdom, + reign

Coming: 2064 erchomai er'-khom-ahee

middle voice of a primary verb (used only in the present and imperfect tenses, the others being supplied by a kindred (middle voice) eleuthomai el-yoo'-thom-ahee, or (active) eltho el'-tho, which do not otherwise occur) to come or go (in a great variety of applications, literally and figuratively):--accompany, appear, bring, come,
enter, fall

The word coming in the Greek also means appear.
So the verse can be translated as, "..til they see the Son of Man appear in royalty(or majesty)."

As far as the other verses are concerned, I believe that Jesus was referring to the generation that would see the things He spoke about.

Upvote 0

Pericles

Christian
May 21, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Christian

Matthew 16:28 is in reference to Jesus' tranfiguration, which is just a verse or 2 below and is not referring to His second coming.

Kingdom:
932 basileia bas-il-i'-ah

from 935; properly, royalty, i.e. (abstractly) rule, or (concretely) a realm (literally or figuratively):--kingdom, + reign

Coming: 2064 erchomai er'-khom-ahee

middle voice of a primary verb (used only in the present and imperfect tenses, the others being supplied by a kindred (middle voice) eleuthomai el-yoo'-thom-ahee, or (active) eltho el'-tho, which do not otherwise occur) to come or go (in a great variety of applications, literally and figuratively):--accompany, appear, bring, come,
enter, fall

The word coming in the Greek also means appear.
So the verse can be translated as, "..til they see the Son of Man appear in royalty(or majesty)."

As far as the other verses are concerned, I believe that Jesus was referring to the generation that would see the things He spoke about.

This is a fair attempt to answer my question, just a couple of pointers:

1. Did you study greek? I would like to make sure that we are on the same page as far as the greek lexicon goes.

2. Do you think that Christ had to make a prophecy about an event that was to take place 2 weeks later? In fact, none of his disciples died in the 2 weeks interval, so Christ was actually wrong...not SOME of them, but ALL of them were alive.

3. Do you believe Christ's Kingdom started 2 weeks later?

4. What about Matthew 10:23?

Upvote 0

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution

Actually, *all* the disciples saw his transfiguration, not "some"; so you are incorrect.

Obviously Christ didn't put enough "YOU"s in this statement for people to get the picture.

Mandy, plan on doing some sighseeting in Israel anytime soon?

-A

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00
Originally posted by armothe

Actually, *all* the disciples saw his transfiguration, not "some"; so you are incorrect.
Actually you are incorrect.

Mat 17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,

Obviously Christ didn't put enough "YOU"s in this statement for people to get the picture.

Mandy, plan on doing some sighseeting in Israel anytime soon?

-A

Jesus says "Ye shall not have gone overthe cities of Israel, till the Son of be come", meaning until He is manifested before the nation of Israel.

No need for smart remarks.

Upvote 0

Pericles

Christian
May 21, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Christian

Jesus says "Ye shall not have gone overthe cities of Israel, till the Son of be come", meaning until He is manifested before the nation of Israel.

No need for smart remarks.

Where does it say "manifested before the nation of Israel"? And what in the world does "manifested before the nation of Israel" mean?

Upvote 0

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00

This is a fair attempt to answer my question, just a couple of pointers:

1. Did you study greek? I would like to make sure that we are on the same page as far as the greek lexicon goes.

2. Do you think that Christ had to make a prophecy about an event that was to take place 2 weeks later? In fact, none of his disciples died in the 2 weeks interval, so Christ was actually wrong...not SOME of them, but ALL of them were alive.

3. Do you believe Christ's Kingdom started 2 weeks later?

4. What about Matthew 10:23?

No I don't study Greek, I have no need to do so.
I don't think Jesus "needed" to prophecy about it at all, yet He did. Jesus had more than 12 disciples and I really don't think He was inferring that anyone would die.
Your last question was answered in my previous post.

Upvote 0

Pericles

Christian
May 21, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Christian

No I don't study Greek, I have no need to do so.
I don't think Jesus "needed" to prophecy about it at all, yet He did. Jesus had more than 12 disciples and I really don't think He was inferring that anyone would die.
Your last question was answered in my previous post.

Again, you are fudging your answers. I will repeat the passage to avoid confusion:

If "taste death" doesn't mean "die", then what does it mean? Why did Jesus have to predict that nobody in his audience will taste death in 2 weeks before they see Him come in His Kingdom?

And again, did His kingdom start at the transfiguration? You surely don't believe so, do you?

And why are you quoting greek passages if you are not a greek scholar? :)

Upvote 0

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00

Again, you are fudging your answers. I will repeat the passage to avoid confusion:

If "taste death" doesn't mean "die", then what does it mean? Why did Jesus have to predict that nobody in his audience will taste death in 2 weeks before they see Him come in His Kingdom?

And again, did His kingdom start at the transfiguration? You surely don't believe so, do you?

And why are you quoting greek passages if you are not a greek scholar? :)

Jesus didn't have to predict that no one would die, that wasn't His point, it would seem that He was referring to it happening soon.

The Transfiguration was a miniature picture of the Kingdom and Peter confirmed this in 2 Peter 1:16-18.

No one needs to be a Greek scholar to look up words in the Greek.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pericles

Christian
May 21, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Christian

Jesus didn't have to predict that no one would die, that wasn't His point, it would seem that He was referring to it happening soon.

The Transfiguration was a miniature picture of the Kingdom and Peter confirmed this in 2 Peter 1:16-18.

No one needs to be a Greek scholar to look up words in the Greek.

I am sorry, but again Mandy, you are not answering my questions. Why did he even mentioned "some will not die" until 2 weeks later? His point WAS that his coming will be within their lifetimes. When did Christ say anything about a "miniature picture" of the Kingdom? He said COMING IN HIS KINGDOM, not coming in a MINIATURE PICTURE OF THE KINGDOM.

Upvote 0

davo

Mar 24, 2002
Visit site
✟1,104.00
Hey Mandy, a couple of days ago I posted this response to one of your comrades, Postrib -he hasn't seen fit to answer, yet. Since you've brought it up, what are your thoughts -as it seems pretty similar to what you are saying is the truth.

Originally posted by postrib
Matthew 16:28 says they will "see the Son of man coming in his kingdom," which was fulfilled at the transfiguration

G'day postrib,

Hey how do you figure this? Just the verse before, verse 27 says:

"For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works."

At the 'Transfiguration' there were six present -Peter, James and John, and Jesus, Moses and Elijah. [and no angels]. And no-one recieved rewards -rewards according to many scriptures are all related to the end-time Coming/Resurrection/Judgment.

Not only that -what was it that between then [when Jesus spoke these words] and the Transfiguration, a whole six days, that was such a threat to the disciples lives that required Jesus to say "some would not taste death till he came." There was NO pursecution at that time. And who died? NO-ONE died as a result of the Transfguration.

You say: His Kingdom was fulfilled at the Transfiguration -before the Cross?? Mate, this is weird stuff, where do you get it? -not the Bible that's for sure.

-the Transfiguration -I do not think so. This Coming of Christ IS none other than His Parousia at AD70. How is it that you peddle such ideas!

A Scriptural response will be fine -not wild nor biblically unsubstantiated assuumptions.

Now Mandy I'm not expecting that you answer for Postrib, but is there anything in what I've responded that you would take issue with? Any scriptural response?

davo

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.