Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone." (James 2:24)
What are the works James is eefering to, you guys never answer that and may I remind you, this is essential doctrine. Go baxk, read the xhapter, understand the context and come back and tell us all. What works is James talking about?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What are the works James is eefering to, you guys never answer that and may I remind you, this is essential doctrine. Go baxk, read the xhapter, understand the context and come back and tell us all. What works is James talking about?
Christian works such as loving God and your neighbor through actions.

Why don't you guys talk that the "works" in Romans and Ephesians talk about the Jewish law?

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Christian works such as loving God and your neighbor through actions.

Why don't you guys talk that the "works" in Romans and Ephesians talk about the Jewish law?
The doctrinal discussions cover works of the law, James is talking about something else. There is this pretty good tool for navigating around these minor misunderstandings surrounding essential doctrine, it's called a context, check it out sometime.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟908,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The book of James confused me a lot. Everywhere in scripture it says we are saved by faith alone, not works, so I got confused about James 2. I saw some preachers twisting scripture in a way that still did not make sense... Saying things like being saved from man and stuff like that.

So I prayed to God for him to explain to me, and I figured it out! The book of James is talking to the 12 tribes of Israel (James 1:1). The 12 tribes of Israels are also mentioned in the book of Revelation. James is actually a prophetic book, talking to the Jews in the last days during tribulation. This is shown in James 5:3, literally saying that this is for them during the "last days". And we know during the time of Jacob's trouble, the Jews are not saved by faith alone, but by faith and works. This includes enduring until the end, avoiding the mark, and keeping the commandments of God (Revelation 14:12). So this book is not for the church, but for the 12 tribes of Israel, the Jews during the time of Jacob's trouble and tribulation in the last days. It was very eye opening when I realized this and it made a lot of sense.

That's why its important to rightly divide and pay attention who the message is for and really read what it is saying, rather than make a complete theology from one verse in the bible. :)
Slippery slope and very dispensational. Before you dive into that theological system, you may want to do more study from the Preterist point of view and the overall point that James was making. He was fighting a good fight. Antinomianism. He taught works exemplify justification.
Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No I'm not this is pure gospel. You are tangled up chasing ghosts in the fog because of you fuzzy understanding of grace and works. I've tried theology and I'm no good at it. When I get into essential doctrine, I go to the Scriptures and the gospel respectively.

I just told you that and you responded my theology is jacked up.

Who doesn't know that?

I covered that, it's called justification by grace through faith. You apparently have no idea what that is because your arguing in circles around it.
Never justified by grace through faith, that is incorrect.

We stand in the grace of God.

Romans 5:2
Through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.

That trust in Jesus Christ for our salvation is the letter received by us and delivered by the grace of God.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is Romans 3:28, chopped liver? Did you ever read Peter's answer to the Pharisees in Acts 15, the Jerusalem Council agreed to unanimously? That is pure justification by grace through faith. That's to say nothing of it being a constant theme at the heart of the emphasis in Romans.
I believe Paul said “works of the law” and not “works” for a good reason.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It has always amazed me when people ignore the audience of a book of scripture. They are attentive when they read early OT books, but the page inserted by the printers putting a division called OT, and NT seems to sway thinking. From about Hebrews on all reason seems to be lost of whom the audience is.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,245.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saved by grace.

If we are not saved by grace then salvation is not a free gift.

Romans 3:24
Being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus.

Romans 11:6
But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

Acts 15:11
But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.

You are taking the view that salvation is by grace thru faith alone, which is definitely one good option to take, which is option 1 on my list.

But what do you think of the somewhat circular argument many people make, that salvation is by faith alone, yes, but if true saving faith is never alone? That is option 2 that I listed earlier

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,245.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
James not only agreed with all of that but recommended a letter be written to new Christians in Galatia explaining it, at the close of the Jerusalem Council.

Actually this is not exactly true. James only agreed that the Gentiles are exempted from the Law of Moses. But the issue on whether Jews are exempted was never even discussed.

From his comments to Paul in Acts 21:20-25, it was clear that Jews had to continue in the Law.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,245.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not doing the works James is talking about will disqualify you, why were the goats sent to perdition and the sheep taking into heaven? What works are James talking about, what is the royal law, what kind of saving faith fails to love God and the Church Christ died for. Works isn't always punching a clock and getting paid, sometimes it's just the gospel working by producing fruit in the life of the believer. That's not for salvation, that is salvation.

This is option 2, most people like to say, "Faith alone saves you, but after you are saved, if you have no works to show, you may not truly be saved".

I always find such arguments circular but many people are comfortable with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe Paul said “works of the law” and not “works” for a good reason.
For a very good reason, which is why I know for a fact James is not talking about the same works. The works James is talking about in James 2 couldn't be more clear from the context, if you ever bother reading it in context.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is option 2, most people like to say, "Faith alone saves you, but after you are saved, if you have no works to show, you may not truly be saved".

I always find such arguments circular but many people are comfortable with that.
The New Testament language doesn't talk about being saved by grace and then later by works, it does not exist in the New Testament. Justification by grace through faith is more then a theological phrase, it's the gospel in a nutshell. Grace doesn't stop at justification (being 'reckoned, considered' righteous) it runs throughout the sanctification process and is the key motivator behind the words of righteousness we are called as believers to do. If you fail to bear fruit you are not saved, no one in the New Testament teaches that any stronger then Jesus himself and all the Apostles were unanimous on this foundational point of doctrine.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For a very good reason, which is why I know for a fact James is not talking about the same works. The works James is talking about in James 2 couldn't be more clear from the context, if you ever bother reading it in context.
I read the whole epistle recently, James speaks of good works as important to salvation as faith is, as one without the other is useless, Paul also never says we are justified by faith alone anywhere. And from logical or philosophical standpoint is faith alone justifies us before God then what justifies faith, how do we distinguish false faith from true faith if not by the fruit of good works of faith as James says.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That verse shows you faith alone... Faith, not of works... That's what faith alone means... This is the entire foundation of the gospel message.

What happened to grace?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,245.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament language doesn't talk about being saved by grace and then later by works, it does not exist in the New Testament. Justification by grace through faith is more then a theological phrase, it's the gospel in a nutshell. Grace doesn't stop at justification (being 'reckoned, considered' righteous) it runs throughout the sanctification process and is the key motivator behind the words of righteousness we are called as believers to do. If you fail to bear fruit you are not saved, no one in the New Testament teaches that any stronger then Jesus himself and all the Apostles were unanimous on this foundational point of doctrine.

I see, so you believe that faith alone is sufficient for salvation initially, but works are necessary for you to keep that salvation permanently? Is that a correct interpretation of your view?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
written to the 12 tribes of Israel, and it's right near the end of the bible, I'm gonna still say it's literally a prophetic book to the Jews of the tribulation during the last days. Which makes sense in saying it is about faith + works. Those Jews who will not actively follow his commandments will end up getting deceived easily and taking the mark of the beast (as also mentioned in Rev 14:12). This is an instruction to the Israelites of the last days

Are you not grafted into Israel?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I read the whole epistle recently, James speaks of good works as important to salvation as faith is, as one without the other is useless, Paul also never says we are justified by faith alone anywhere. And from logical or philosophical standpoint is faith alone justifies us before God then what justifies faith, how do we distinguish false faith from true faith if not by the fruit of good works of faith as James says.
What you did not mention and I can never drag out of people, what is the royal law? Better yet, what was the problem James was addressing? Paul specifically argues for justification by grace through faith as does the entire New Testament, a faith that is apart from works of the law. Salvation is never apart from works of righteousness, that's the whole point anyway, the tree that bears not fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. What works are we talking about here?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I believe you are talking about this part in James 2?

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

From context, the him refers not to the person claiming to have faith, but rather the brother or sister that is in need of help. So I don't really see any strange interpretation there.

Why can't he be differentiating between a conceptual idea (abstract) of faith and an actual (concrete) faith?

Upvote 0