Revelation 22:18

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is the verse that warns against addind or removing from THIS BOOK. Does that refer to Revelation or the entire Bible?
Both, since it is the final book of the New Testament. There are other passages which warn against adding to or subtracting from Scripture. But this book closes the canon of Scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: carrico
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It has to be Revelation because the Bible had not yet been canonized when that was written.
Perhaps not "canonized" by men, but certainly canonized by the Holy Spirit. By about 200 AD we actually have a New Testament canon in Greek which almost matches our NT.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This is the verse that warns against addind or removing from THIS BOOK. Does that refer to Revelation or the entire Bible?

It's referring to the book of the Revelation. There was no Bible to speak of at the time.

The Bible, it's important to remember, isn't a book. The Bible is a library of books.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps not "canonized" by men, but certainly canonized by the Holy Spirit. By about 200 AD we actually have a New Testament canon in Greek which almost matches our NT.

Almost, yes. The question of the Antilegomena would continue for quite some time however.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Revelation 22:18-19 refer specifically (in the context in which these verses sit) to the book of Revelation. However, these verses also reflect parallel warnings given way back in Deuteronomy 4:2, and Deuteronomy 12:32, in the Old Testament Law. Between these two sets of warnings, we can infer that, in essence, we need to be very, very careful in how we handle and interpret the Word of God.

Another implication of the parallel warnings above is that the book of Revelation demonstrates Jesus' status as Divine authority, just as Deuteronomy demonstrates God's authority. Thus, Jesus is God, the Alpha and the Omega, the Son of God.

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Reactions: Rik Brooks
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

I think saying it applies only to Rev four times should suffice.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi rik,

I tend to agree with dysert and ewq that the passage written in Revelation is talking about not adding to or taking away from that particular writing of John's. There are, however, other places in the Scriptures that warn us about going beyond what is written. So, I certainly don't think God wants us to add or subtract from His Scriptures, but I think this particular passage is written for the writing of the Revelation.

God bless you
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting question. Technically, it's referring to Revelations. However, Revelations sums up what the rest of the Bible teaches. For Example, Daniel, Joel, I and II Kings, speak of the end times. Other books in indirect ways. If you don't understand the previous books in the Bible, you won't understand Revelations. Most Christians do not and are confused with false doctrines and watered down gospels.

Upvote 0