Retiree Fights With Man Over Foul Language.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Lord, Humble Me
Jan 25, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟1,635.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Sors said:
I have a bit of a mouth myself and do at times cuss in public.

To me this is about respect. If you are offending someone and they politely ask you to stop, like this old man apparently did, and you don't have the decency to show some respect and change your behavior temporarily, then you deserve to have your butt whipped.

This has nothing to do with freedom of speech, it does have something to do with respecting your fellow man.

Agreed, and I positively approve of your avatar!

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BlessedMan said:
Agreed! I've got two young boys and many times I've politely asked teenagers to cool their language in public places around them. Can't really blame the teenagers too much, because often that's the language they hear their parents using at home...or on the phone! Our society has just lost all respect for each other...this is really what it's all about.

That's very true. Teenagers I could be more understanding of, but definitely not adults. As for society, it does seem respect for one another has dropped significantly across the board, though there's still a healthy amount of Southern courtesy where I live. :) All the same, respect and honor are not things held in high esteem these days, in my opinion.

Akasa said:
Will you please explain to me how it is okay and biblical to assault someone for cussing, and finding this action amusing? WWJD?

I said I'd go "retiree" on them. It was a joke (see OP). :sigh: :help:

Reactions: Yitzchak
Upvote 0

FaithfulInHim

Sep 23, 2004
✟7,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
jameseb said:
That's very true. Teenagers I could be more understanding of, but definitely not adults. As for society, it does seem respect for one another has dropped significantly across the board
I see this more and more. It's so sad.

I didn't think it was funny and I wasn't attacking you. Just wanted to be clear at how serious I thought this topic was.

I'm simply amazed how people here will go after Christians as if we were anything different from the inquisitor or anybody else walking this planet ~
I thought he had a cross in his name? :scratch:

Upvote 0

FaithfulInHim

Sep 23, 2004
✟7,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
jameseb said:
By the way, a simple fist fight is a tad amusing... there was no great harm done here. Bruised egos more than anything else. Was it ridiculous? Yes. I surely hope I don't find any posts by some people regarding the "humor" or jokes they make about the Iraq war though...
:sigh: I guess some have different opinions on humor. Had my child witnessed that, I don't know how I would have explained that one.

Upvote 0

Akasa

Aug 27, 2004
arkansas
✟15,226.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
jameseb said:
That's very true. Teenagers I could be more understanding of, but definitely not adults. As for society, it does seem respect for one another has dropped significantly across the board, though there's still a healthy amount of Southern courtesy where I live. :) All the same, respect and honor are not things held in high esteem these days, in my opinion.

Yeah, you make it seem as though you agree with this old mans actions. Yes, or no?

I am apalled by that seriously, even if it wasn't for my beliefs, I just can't understand the acceptance of his behavior AT ALL

I am not attacking YOUR beliefs, just everyone in general. I mean, the old guy received all this support from his neighbors, I just find that absurd.

That sinful disrespecting cusser! You go old man, kick his butt!

LOL it is just stupid, really.

Ok off my soapbox. :sorry:

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FaithfulInHim said:
I see this more and more. It's so sad.

Yes, it is very sad indeed.

I didn't think it was funny and I wasn't attacking you. Just wanted to be clear at how serious I thought this topic was.

No offense, but I didn't even read your post so I wasn't addressing you.

I thought he had a cross in his name? :scratch:

D'oh! :doh: You're very correct! I simply saw the name and thought it was another member who has a very similar name. My mistake and I edited my post.

FaithfulInHim said:
:sigh: I guess some have different opinions on humor. Had my child witnessed that, I don't know how I would have explained that one.

Its perspective, FaithfulInHim. As I mentioned, I don't have any children, nor did I say I could imagine assailing a person in front of my children. But did the OP even mention children being present? I don't know, I was simply referring to someone else's hypothetical. You're assuming too much about my post and my thoughts. Like I said, no one was hurt in this incident beyond getting their egos bruised... and I comment on this because of my own personal experience. Hopefully they'll learn that nothing can come of resorting to anger to deal with these issues... and I have no doubt they're probably looking back on this and shaking their heads in disbelief, reflect on how foolish both of them were. I still haven't read the OP though.. I'm just commenting on remarks dealing with the subject.

Upvote 0

FaithfulInHim

Sep 23, 2004
✟7,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
jameseb said:
I'm just commenting on remarks dealing with the subject.

So was I and as you admitted, you have not read through the OP. I was doing the same. I did not know that wasn't allowed. Thank you for the warm welcome. You can understand why it shocked me that a christian would say that assaulting another was acceptable. I will not comment any further since I have seemed to not be welcomed. :(

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Akasa said:
Yeah, you make it seem as though you agree with this old mans actions. Yes, or no?

No, I don't agree with his actions. I did the same myself once before... well, not quite the same, but I dealt with some troublemakers at a theater once before... though I thought it would serve to put them in their place, it was a stupid act of passion and resulted in me and another guy being arrested.. in a public theater! :blush: It was just a simple fist fight, no real injuries, but I learned a valuable lesson from that.... no matter how tempting it can be to result to the physical to stand up for what is right, it doesn't serve the interests of God and will only result in feelings of embarrasment and guilt aftewards, and like these gentlemen I'm sure have, a bruised ego.

I am apalled by that seriously, even if it wasn't for my beliefs, I just can't understand the acceptance of his behavior AT ALL

Maybe its the Irish in me, my brother and I always play-fighting (Irish style! ;) ) as children--and even today!--but like I said, I'm NOT endorsing what the elderly gentleman did. I hope we're clear on this.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FaithfulInHim said:
So was I and as you admitted, you have not read through the OP. I was doing the same. I did not know that wasn't allowed. Thank you for the warm welcome. You can understand why it shocked me that a christian would say that assaulting another was acceptable. I will not comment any further since I have seemed to not be welcomed. :(

Faithful, I'm not trying to make you feel unwelcomed. :( In fact, welcome to Christian Forums! :) I'm terribly sorry if I said anything to offend you, but I honestly didn't see myself doing that, but if I did, I humbly apologize to you.

You can understand why it shocked me that a christian would say that assaulting another was acceptable.

I never, never, never ever said this though, Faithful.

Upvote 0

FaithfulInHim

Sep 23, 2004
✟7,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
jameseb said:
Faithful, I'm not trying to make you feel unwelcomed. :( In fact, welcome to Christian Forums! :) I'm terribly sorry if I said anything to offend you, but I honestly didn't see myself doing that, but if I did, I humbly apologize to you.

I never, never, never ever said this though, Faithful.
Okay, thank you. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FaithfulInHim said:
Okay, thank you. :)

Oh, its no problem at all. :) One draw back to internet discussions is that one can't 'read' the tone of what's being said.

Anyway, again, welcome to Christian Forums and God bless! :)

Upvote 0

Whyzdom

Biblicist
Oct 13, 2004
Moline, Illinois USA
✟17,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
jameseb said:
Oh, its no problem at all. :) One draw back to internet discussions is that one can't 'read' the tone of what's being said.

Anyway, again, welcome to Christian Forums and God bless! :)

Quite true.. thanks for that reminder. :thumbsup:

Reactions: jameseb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Robert43 said:
ST. PAUL, Minn. - A 79-year-old retiree who tussled with a man half his age over the man's foul language in a restaurant was sentenced to probation - but outside of that, he's been treated more like a hero than a criminal.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/cgi-bin/news/newsbrief.plx?id=1103152571&fa=1

Robert
I will add my nomination for hero status for this man. :clap: :clap:

I have all too often sat in public restaurants and been assaulted by rude and inconsiderate people's crudeness. I have considered a confrontation many times myself. Of course a more effective way to address the problem would be to insist that restaurants police their eating environment.

Upvote 0

Akasa

Aug 27, 2004
arkansas
✟15,226.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yitzchak said:

I have all too often sat in public restaurants and been assaulted by rude and inconsiderate people's crudeness. I have considered a confrontation many times myself. Of course a more effective way to address the problem would be to insist that restaurants police their eating environment.
Do you think it is ok to do what he did though? Wouldn't a more likely hero done something along the lines of a vocal "telling off" that was done politely, but made a point?? I just don't think we should be applauding physical confrontations.

Reactions: jameseb
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yitzchak said:

Hero?? I think the more appropriate label would be criminal. Heros are people like the firefighters who helped to save lives on 9/11.

Upvote 0