AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My question. Do you think the heavenly body pattern we are to inherit is more like the spiritual body that the Son of God had before creation or his lowered for a little while, flesh and blood body?

Both since it's clear based on Philippians 3:21 who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even ito subject all things to himself. That our body will be like His and that He could eat if He chose to etc... I would say that denying that the body is not flesh in some manner or another would put us in an area of denial of the doctrine of the incarnation...
Your answer of both is cop out. I will not force one to say there is no body, but please choose between the two, more fleshy or more spiritual?

Don't change the discussion to the incarnation. That was a lowered state of the Son of God, born of flesh. I am discussing the glorified/heavenly body. To insinuate that once the Son of God took human form he had to stay in that form is not congruent with other scripture; for there are multiple examples of the Son of God appearing in human form prior to being born. Just the fact that he was lowered and then glorified means he can change his form.

Yet that being said there is no reason to expect there will be a NEED for food and other essentials, that Christ dining on fish after the incarnation may simply have been for the disciples to believe not for any manner of necessity...and nonetheless He was capable of eating.
Am i making sense?

I agree that Jesus in his appearances post resurrection did most things to convince his followers that he is alive. I do not think he needed to eat or does so now.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is both because He is still 100% God 100% man (hypostatic union can not cease to exist, whether in heaven or here on earth)...Though His glorified flesh has been perfected it still is flesh, glorified!

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is both because He is still 100% God 100% man (hypostatic union can not cease to exist, whether in heaven or here on earth)...Though His glorified flesh has been perfected it still is flesh, glorified!

What scripture do you have to support your statement that the hypostatic union can not cease to exist?

There are multiple examples in scripture to the contrary; times when the Son of God appeared as a fleshy man on earth but then returned to his heavenly state.

Mark 16:12 Afterward Jesus appeared in a different form to two of them while they were walking in the country.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone. A thought came across my mind today. In all four of the gospels we see the resurrected Jesus no longer confined to time and space, he can move into walls, appear and disappear from one place to the other. I then assume that our resurrected bodies will be able to do the same or is this just simply a mystery?

Jesus is God - And even though he has a resurrected body in human form -- he has the "Ability" as God to do a great many things that I would not presume to be the domain of physically resurrected humans that are not God.

It makes no sense to say that "being infinite God" as well as in glorified human form "makes no difference".

in Christ,
Bob

Upvote 0
Jun 7, 2013
✟15,388.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Jesus is God - And even though he has a resurrected body in human form -- he has the "Ability" as God to do a great many things that I would not presume to be the domain of physically resurrected humans that are not God.

It makes no sense to say that "being infinite God" as well as in glorified human form "makes no difference".

in Christ,
Bob

I don't know, then why didn't Jesus do all these things before?We could also then ask why did he have to eat, drink or sleep like a human being? Isn't the whole point of the incarnation that 'God became one of us and dwelt among us?'

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know, then why didn't Jesus do all these things before?

He did. Look at all the miracles.

We could also then ask why did he have to eat, drink or sleep like a human being?

Because He is human, like us in every way, except sin.

Isn't the whole point of the incarnation that 'God became one of us and dwelt among us?'

The Incarnation means God the Son added the wholeness of humanity unto Himself. Thus, He is truly God and truly Man; 100% Divine and 100% Human. And as a human being, he required sleep, food, drink, rest, and everything else biological.

Could He have incarnated to not need those things? Sure. But then again, He would not have been like us entirely then, would He? No; the Incarnation was complete: He was exactly like us except sin.

Upvote 0
Jun 7, 2013
✟15,388.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
He did. Look at all the miracles.

Because He is human, like us in every way, except sin.

The Incarnation means God the Son added the wholeness of humanity unto Himself. Thus, He is truly God and truly Man; 100% Divine and 100% Human. And as a human being, he required sleep, food, drink, rest, and everything else biological.

Could He have incarnated to not need those things? Sure. But then again, He would not have been like us entirely then, would He? No; the Incarnation was complete: He was exactly like us except sin.

Thank you PaladinValer, esp for that last part :). God bless you

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What scripture do you have to support your statement that the hypostatic union can not cease to exist?

There are multiple examples in scripture to the contrary; times when the Son of God appeared as a fleshy man on earth but then returned to his heavenly state.

Mark 16:12 Afterward Jesus appeared in a different form to two of them while they were walking in the country.

The apostle John’s language, the Word became flesh (John 1:14).
His flesh was not a costume.
He forever joined our humanity to his divinity and for all eternity will be fully God and fully man.

“Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.”

He went up with a human body, sits now in God’s presence in his humanity. And will return “in the same way as you saw him go into heaven”
—in humanity.

Philippians
Our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.

Paul also makes reference to Jesus’ continuing humanity in 1 Timothy 2:5.

There is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
This is after Jesus’ ascension to heaven, and he refers to Jesus in the present as “the man Christ Jesus.”

Jesus’ work as the perfect mediator between God and man is not only dependent on his death, at the cross but also in his ongoiing humanity.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't think jumping to a form other than human is warranted from the text, He may have appeared to one as a gardner and another a doctor or teacher..

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The apostle John’s language, the Word became flesh (John 1:14).
His flesh was not a costume.
He forever joined our humanity to his divinity and for all eternity will be fully God and fully man.

Like I said before, "for all eternity" is an assumption. If the Son of God can change forms one time, he can do it many times. In fact the Word became flesh was not eternal and did change again as you have stated in this thread in that he changed to a glorified state. At a minimum he appeared/disappeared, walked through walls, took on the image of another human. This thread has debated how human or heavenly/spiritual was his state, but you do acknowledge a change did occur in him post resurrection.

“Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.”

He went up with a human body, sits now in God’s presence in his humanity. And will return “in the same way as you saw him go into heaven”
—in humanity.

He went up with a glorified body. Regardless, read Jesus' own words along with others where he describes his return. The emphasis is as he ascended in clouds, he will descend at his return in clouds.

Matthew 24:30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.

Mark 13:26 “At that time people will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.

Luke 21:27 At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

1 Thessalonians 4:17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

Revelation 1:7 “Look, he[Jesus] is coming with the clouds,” and “every eye will see him, even those who pierced him”; and all peoples on earth “will mourn because of him.” So shall it be! Amen.

Philippians
Our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.

As long as this thread has grown to you should have read many references to 1 Cor 15, the definitive text on the resurrected body. In there you will learn that body does not imply human flesh.
40 There are also heavenly bodies and there are earthly bodies; but the splendor of the heavenly bodies is one kind, and the splendor of the earthly bodies is another.

Paul also makes reference to Jesus’ continuing humanity in 1 Timothy 2:5.

There is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
This is after Jesus’ ascension to heaven, and he refers to Jesus in the present as “the man Christ Jesus.”

Jesus’ work as the perfect mediator between God and man is not only dependent on his death, at the cross but also in his ongoiing humanity.

You and Crypto need to learn that the Son of God has been mediator since day one. If we need a mediator now, then people 3000 years ago also needed one. The 1 Timothy passage acknowledges that there is only one mediator; just like Jesus said "I am the good shepherd". These are eternal roles of the Son of God as long as we exist. The passage uses the human name for the mediator, that being Jesus Christ. He could also say the Son of God without the man and be just as correct. The message of the passage is that there is ONE mediator, not that the mediator is a man.

Paul also said that the mediator with the angels was entrusted with the law. This means the Son of God directed the angels to carry out the O.T. law. Then when the Son of God came as Jesus, he mediated a new covenant. Does it not make sense that if there is one mediator between God and man that he would mediate both the old covenant and the new?
Galatians 3:19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator.

If you think Paul's words so definitive, he also said Jesus was not a man when he called him. So now I have proved that he is not man in heaven, using your logic. This is not really want convinced me though.

Galatians 1:1 Paul, an apostle—sent not from men nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums