Results and Discussion of the 'Weaponization of the Federal Government Subcommittee' -- Is there any there there?

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
This was supposed to be one of the GOP's signature issues after taking control of the House. Jim Jordan has been figuratively waving a piece of paper with the names of numerous whistleblowers who were going to blow the lid off the issue, but so far the testimony has sounded like disgruntled employees. And Jordan has not produced much information about any other whistleblowers. No one on this side of CF has really posted about it, and one post on the Christian-only side has not gotten any activity. Though it's early days yet -- committees take their time.

So here's a thread to talk about the testimony and reports from this particular Subcommittee. <--- this is the topic of this thread, not what you heard from Aunt Edna, not what some guy on TV said. Results from this Subcommittee and discussion thereof.

In his quest to prove the federal government has been “weaponized” against conservatives, Republican House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan has touted the allegations of what he claims are “dozens” of whistleblowers who have come to his office with stories of discrimination and bias.

Three of Jordan’s witnesses have come in for private interviews with committee staff so far. None of them appear to have had their claims validated by government entities that grant federal whistleblower protection, sources familiar with their testimony said. One who alleged there was FBI wrongdoing had their claims rejected. Another is retired and it’s unclear whether he has first-hand knowledge of the violations he alleges. The third has not revealed his direct disclosures or FBI suspension notice to House Democrats, according to transcripts reviewed by CNN.

The three so far interviewed:

One of them is Steve Friend, a former FBI agent working out of Florida who was suspended in August 2022 for objecting to using a SWAT team to arrest a subject for what Friend described as “misdemeanor offenses.”

Friend, who was interviewed by Republican and Democratic subcommittee staff earlier this month, was not part of the SWAT team but was asked to help with the case and refused, he told CNN in an interview.

The men arrested on the date Friend listed in his disclosures were members of a Florida-based organization known as the “Guardians of Freedom,” which adheres to the ideology of the “Three Percenters” and were illegally at the Capitol on January 6, according to the FBI.

Friend admitted in the subcommittee interview that owning a gun or being accused of a felony crime were reasons for FBI management to consider using a SWAT team, according to transcripts reviewed by CNN.

[Guy doesn't do his job; guy gets suspended. Is that 'retaliation' or the fruits of not doing your job?]

--

Judiciary committee staff have also interviewed a former FBI analyst who retired in October 2021 named George Hill, who supervised intelligence analysts that provided support to less than a dozen cases related to January 6.

In his interview with the subcommittee Hill criticized a bank that he says shared with the FBI records of people who were in DC on January 6, according to transcripts reviewed by CNN.

As part of its investigation into the January 6 attack at the Capitol, the FBI collected financial, communications and other business records of people investigated for possible crimes related to the Capitol riot. It’s a routine investigative tool used to help investigators and prosecutors gather evidence. Bank transactions could be used to show travel and location of suspected rioters, and could be used to establish the purchase of weapons used in the attacks on police protecting the Capitol.

[Guy sees routine things he doesn't like; guy retires. ?]

--

The third whistleblower interviewed by the subcommittee is suspended FBI agent Garret O’Boyle, who says he was suspended for making an unauthorized media disclosure. During his interview with subcommittee staff, O’Boyle, who worked out of the FBI’s Wichita field office, would not elaborate on the claim or provide his suspension notice.

[His lawyer said] "He did not release that information to Democrats on the committee because he knew that they would leak it to the media.”

[?]

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This may contain most of the same information from your article but here is a newsweek article related to this:

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So Jim Jordan thought he was going to destroy the so-called Deep State by bringing in ex-FBI to expose it's secrets and how the agency and Democrats planned and executed January 6th.

The testimony didn't go well. According to transcripts, none of the three witnesses were involved in investigations or situations about which they had opinions, and all three have firmly embraced numerous red hat conspiracy theories.

George Hill has a rather troubling social media history given his role as an FBI analyst. He claimed Speaker Pelosi has "blood on her hands" and when Lauren Boebert posted a false Tweet about President Biden having cancer Hill Tweeted "Cancer GO FASTER!". Things were so bad for Hill that his attorney begged Democratic counsel to stop asking him questions about his social media accounts.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This may contain most of the same information from your article but here is a newsweek article related to this:

None of these witnesses has provided evidence of misconduct by the FBI, the Department of Justice, or any other public official. Each offered a wide range of personal opinions—but to the extent that they testified about matters to which they claim to have firsthand knowledge at all, none showed any evidence of wrongdoing.
Additionally, there is reason to doubt the credibility of these witnesses. Each endorses an alarming series of conspiracy theories related to the January 6 Capitol attack, the COVID vaccine, and the validity of the 2020 election. One has called repeatedly for the dismantling of the FBI. Another suggested that it would be better for Americans to die than to have any kind of domestic intelligence program. It is no surprise that House Republicans have so far refused to allow these individuals to testify in public.
Even more alarming, these so-called “whistleblowers” are directly connected to a network of extreme MAGA Republican operatives, including former Trump administration officials Kash Patel, Russell Vought, and Mark Meadows, who have incentive to promote these witnesses and their meritless claims in order to feed their radical agenda, attack Democrats, cast doubt on the decisions of the Department of Justice, and advance Donald Trump’s candidacy for President. Chairman Jordan made the ultimate goal of his inquiries clear when he promised that his investigation would “frame up the 2024 race when I hope and I think President Trump is going to run again and we need to make sure that he wins.”

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is why you don't typically have whistleblowers. I don't know if there's anything biased about said investigations (I think those responsible should be punished) but the fact that the third guy already saw his information was just going to become political fodder isn't great.

If they're accusing discrimination and bias....where are those claims? These are procedural claims. Claims of improper procedure...not bias or discrimination.

The FBI tend to already have a bad reputation in the federal government...typically because they get used in such broad ways they can step into someone's investigation by accident, or they seem like they're out of their depth in certain contexts. These testimonials aren't helping them.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The other side: “We’ve sent more subpoenas than any Committee in Congress, we’ve sent more letters than any Committee in Congress, we’ve held more transcribed interviews than any Committee in Congress, we’ve uncovered objectively damning facts about DOJ and FBI abuses," Russell Dye, spokesperson for Jordan, told Axios.

Sounds like there are some results. I wonder when we can see them?

• The Republican firebrand [Jordan] is asking for an additional $2 million a year and access to a "substantial reserve fund" of $15 million to conduct investigations.
  • "It's going to take resources, staff and people to get to the bottom of all the things that are going on," Jordan told the House Administration Committee at a hearing last week in which he requested more resources.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The other side: “We’ve sent more subpoenas than any Committee in Congress, we’ve sent more letters than any Committee in Congress, we’ve held more transcribed interviews than any Committee in Congress, we’ve uncovered objectively damning facts about DOJ and FBI abuses," Russell Dye, spokesperson for Jordan, told Axios.

Sounds like there are some results. I wonder when we can see them?

• The Republican firebrand [Jordan] is asking for an additional $2 million a year and access to a "substantial reserve fund" of $15 million to conduct investigations.
  • "It's going to take resources, staff and people to get to the bottom of all the things that are going on," Jordan told the House Administration Committee at a hearing last week in which he requested more resources.
Sounds like Benghazi all over again. How much money will he waste on this clown show and will craven McCarthy let him get away with it?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Jordan’s weaponization-panel game plan draws critique from some on the right

But others say Jordan is taking on a huge task, and while there are conversations about tactics, he has lawmakers’ support​

The frustrations reached critical mass ahead of a Thursday hearing — the subcommittee’s second — featuring testimony from people who were given access to Twitter’s internal communications that Republicans allege show the suppression of right-wing viewpoints on the platform.

But the calls for Jordan to produce substantive misdeeds in federal agencies that Republicans have alleged exist are incongruent with the majority’s findings thus far — which includes testimony from witnesses pushed by some of the outside groups now critiquing Jordan and the subcommittee.

“Here’s the issue: What independent investigation did Jim Jordan do in advance of [Thursday]? He took an adapted screenplay from journalists’ tweet thread,” [i.e. the 'Twitter Files'] said Mike Davis, the president of the Article III Project, a conservative judicial advocacy group. “Jordan should hand off the committee to a lawmaker who has the time to do it. This needs to be a big undertaking and they need a strategy and a dedicated, focused staff. They need to be dogs on a bone.”

“Jordan is failing on both fronts — it’s not like House Republicans don’t have a substantive agenda,” said a congressional investigator, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly. “He’s not delivering on the substance but he is also not delivering on this vast labyrinth of conspiracy theories. He’s set himself up for an impossible task to prove things that are just not true.”

“The reality is that there are a lot of people that don’t want to go and leave their jobs and work for this committee,” said a person close to the committee. “Unlike the Jan. 6 committee, a lot of folks don’t think this will be a career enhancement — they don’t think this will get them on the partner track for their firm.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

GOP witnesses testify without taking questions

The shouting began after Sen. Eric Schmitt (R), the former attorney general of Missouri, and Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry (R) testified before the House Judiciary select subcommittee on the weaponization of the federal government about what they claimed was the Biden administration’s effort to censor conservative voices online. After the two spoke, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), the subcommittee chairman, dismissed them.

“We’ll let you move on to your other responsibilities and we’ll get to our next witnesses,” Jordan said. Democrats immediately interrupted, asking why he wouldn’t allow them to ask questions as Schmitt and Landry stood up and left the room.

“We aren’t able to probe the veracity of their statements, the truthfulness of their statements,” Rep. Stephen F. Lynch (D-Mass.) said. When Jordan told him, “You will be given your five minutes here,” Lynch replied, “They’re not here,” referring to the witnesses. “They’re absent,” he said, and they “scurried away, with your complicity.”

Even by today’s low standards for congressional decorum, the hearing stood out for its rancor and animus. Kyle Herrig, executive director of the Congressional Integrity Project, a Democratic-leaning watchdog group, said in a statement that the hearing was “an embarrassing farce. Two of the Republicans’ witnesses didn’t even stick around to defend their lies, aided and abetted by Jim Jordan.” Jordan and the Republicans on the subcommittee, Herrig said, “are afraid of the truth.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

House GOP’s Biden investigations sputter out of the gate

Much-touted Republican oversight work is moving more slowly than the party had hoped, thanks to high expectations and divergent focuses.

House Republicans charged into the majority vowing an investigative onslaught against President Joe Biden and Democrats.

But they’ve gotten almost nowhere so far — and some in the party are getting frustrated.

One GOP aide, granted anonymity to speak frankly, described an internal perception that the politicized government subpanel [i.e. the one in the OP] run by Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) had gotten off to a “rocky start” after its initial hearing revealed little new information. That same hearing sparked public kvetching among outside groups and high-profile pundits, who questioned both the structure and the strategy of the panel.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Apparently Jordan will be expanding the committee's work to include weaponization of non-government. I hear Brennan and Clapper will testify behind closed doors later this week about the ex-intelligence people letter in re the laptop.

While I doubt we will see/hear any under-oath results from the subcommittee, I can certainly foresee some gum-flapping.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Apparently Jordan will be expanding the committee's work to include weaponization of non-government. I hear Brennan and Clapper will testify behind closed doors later this week about the ex-intelligence people letter in re the laptop.

While I doubt we will see/hear any under-oath results from the subcommittee, I can certainly foresee some gum-flapping.

I'm sure the IRS visiting Taibbi was pure coincidence.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
  • Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah the pattern is here. You know some believe Jesus/Yeshua is not real yet we all know that man really did live and died. Its the risen part we have faith in believe in the fact who would say all this believe it and suffer so much if it was just a lie?

The point is many things here if we fully read it and truly speak about it well as one said "there is no there there". So many things CNN/DEM's said is nothing more then specutaion. So many things said they never proved at all yet some praise God take it blindly as fact something I can not. See I am one of those that will read CNN yet I will then go searching on what the flip side is. For me to just post what say FOX news says would be very unwise. But facts have come out and the left is very scared and should be.

So praise GOD its not even stared and what is not being talked about maybe some don't know is what's coming.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Currently the subcommittee (oh, maybe this is the full Judiciary Committee) is questioning FBI Director Wray. From my perspective, it's largely a lot of angry posturing from the GOP. And a fair amount of stonewalling from Wray.

One point of bipartisan agreement is concern (initially raised in this meeting by Rep Zoe Lofgren of California) over the FBI purchasing publicly available geolocation information of American citizens.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Currently the subcommittee (oh, maybe this is the full Judiciary Committee) is questioning FBI Director Wray. From my perspective, it's largely a lot of angry posturing from the GOP. And a fair amount of stonewalling from Wray.

One point of bipartisan agreement is concern (initially raised in this meeting by Rep Zoe Lofgren of California) over the FBI purchasing publicly available geolocation information of American citizens.

My concern is that such information is publicly available to purchase at all, but somehow Congress has no interest in providing private companies from having access to violations of our privacy.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Update! Absolutely Nothing!

There were hearings...

last July featuring RFK Jr.
November
and February

and a week ago:

March 7th

Jordan Peterson talks about CCTV surveillance in China. Fascinating stuff. But this is not exactly the weaponized DOJ we were promised.

Anyone see anything worth talking about in any of this?

Upvote 0