Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus saved us from a depraved life. He refrained you in your thinking and actions your entire life for his names sake. Not yours. So my question is this, when does a Christian cross the line from republican voting (because right now that’s where Christian values are most represented) and acting like a Pharisee accusing the world of sin and touting your political views and not convicting them of Christ ?

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus saved us from a depraved life. He refrained you in your thinking and actions your entire life for his names sake. Not yours. So my question is this, when does a Christian cross the line from republican voting (because right now that’s where Christian values are most represented) and acting like a Pharisee accusing the world of sin and touting your political views and not convicting them of Christ ?

Upvote 0

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Answering my own question so you know where I stand

I am so separated from this world system recently that many things are bothering me to the point of prayer and not anger and action

why. Because I am wondering how right I am being right lately?
Jesus means so much more to me than this world. So why do I fight for this world if I’m praying for Jesus return. And if I’m not fighting for this world how can I represent Jesus. If I sin my self into seclusion because of my anger of the left right now I make my self a scoffer who does not listen to myself anymore let alone others.
Listening to my self in prayer I see my political stances so weak even though they are more right than the left it has hurt my motivation. Thanks for listening

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Each one will give account before God at how well they kept things in balance with these things. I've learned though never to take too seriously the clamor of some that certain Christians are like Phariseees. Yes there's always been some who have had a Pharissee type of spirit but there's many, many others who have been kind, loving and gracious and yet they still held to the truth of things and weren't ashamed to say it. You can speak the truth in LOVE but there are those who are stubborn and rebellious that won't accept that you did. Their version of what it means to be a loving Christian can actually be a twist from reality.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I am so separated from this world system recently that many things are bothering me to the point of prayer and not anger and action

Jesus means so much more to me than this world. So why do I fight for this world if I’m praying for Jesus return. And if I’m not fighting for this world how can I represent Jesus. If I sin my self into seclusion because of my anger of the left right now I make my self a scoffer who does not listen to myself anymore let alone others.
Listening to my self in prayer I see my political stances so weak even though they are more right than the left it has hurt my motivation. Thanks for listening
Gary, please sit down with your pastor or someone you can talk with and talk things out, clear your mind, then put things in order. I will pray for you.Everything is going to be ok, we all get to the same place you are right now, it is just part of life.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
These politicized conservative Christians should not be accepted as representative of Christianity.
There are many who try to unite Christianity behind support for the modern nation state of Israel,
while many are outspoken against this idea as a type of idolatry.
When George W. Bush openly professed Christ in his presidential campaign, Al Gore was speaking
at many large congregation African American churches of various denominations. A majority of
African Americans voted for Gore, so the idea is more complex to fully examine. What about God-
fearing Latinos? Democrat or Republican?
God forbid that far right conservatives become the banner bearers for Christianity!

Upvote 0

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
These politicized conservative Christians should not be accepted as representative of Christianity.
There are many who try to unite Christianity behind support for the modern nation state of Israel,
while many are outspoken against this idea as a type of idolatry.
When George W. Bush openly professed Christ in his presidential campaign, Al Gore was speaking
at many large congregation African American churches of various denominations. A majority of
African Americans voted for Gore, so the idea is more complex to fully examine. What about God-
fearing Latinos? Democrat or Republican?
God forbid that far right conservatives become the banner bearers for Christianity!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not all who say they are Christians , are Christians. Dominionism abounds which teaches "kingdom now" aka " seven mountain mandate" theology. This is why many have been decieved. Jesus Christ of Nazareth warned about this. Not until those who persue this type of "salvation" go back to their first love, I am affraid they will stay on the wide road of destruction. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

I say keep up the self reflection. Consider what the values of Christ mean in politics. It does not need to be either/or. I have issues I feel conservative about even though I would identify as a Democrat. I believe in personal freedom, privacy rights, 2nd amendment rights (with restrictions) and I also believe in a social safety net, public education, and civil rights.

If I am more inclined to one party, I don't have to believe everything they believe, I support the issues individually rather than looking at what party to prop up.

Questioning yourself is very productive. You can research issues and take a stand based on those issues rather than a particular party. It makes it harder to know how to vote but the issues are more important than the party IMO.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't think Republicans or Democrats are Pharisees. Pharisees were a political-religious movement/party in the 2nd Temple period. They had paricular doctrines, aims and beliefs in contrast to the other movements of the day - Sadducees, Essenes, Herodians, other apocalyptic sects, etc.. Pharasaic traditions were taught and carried mainly through two schools of thought - Hillel and Shammai. Orthodox Judaism probably most carries the teachings and tradition of the Pharisees. But it is true that Christianity shares some common beliefs and teachings with the Pharisees as well.

Unfortunately today, "Pharisee" has become a boogeyman term that really means "baddest of bad guys." But the New Testament gives a more nuanced view as does the historical record. Sometimes the Pharisees treat Jesus as an equal, having him over for dinner. They warn Jesus of danger. We're told to pay attention to what they say. And some of the earliest believers seem to have been Pharisees. Nicodemus was a Pharisee. So was Paul - Paul was a student of Hillel's grandson, Gamaliel who had a rather lenient attitude toward Christians (and is a saint in the Eastern Orthodox church!).

Matt 23:2 “The experts in the law and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat. 23:3 Therefore pay attention to what they tell you and do it. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they teach.

Lk 7:36 Now one of the Pharisees was requesting Him to dine with him, and He entered the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table.

Lk 11: 37 Now when He had spoken, a Pharisee *asked Him to have lunch with him; and He went in, and reclined at the table.

Lk 13:31 Just at that time some Pharisees approached, saying to Him, "Go away, leave here, for Herod wants to kill You."

Acts 15:5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think Republicans or Democrats are Pharisees. Pharisees were a political-religious movement/party in the 2nd Temple period. They had paricular doctrines, aims and beliefs in contrast to the other movements of the day - Sadducees, Essenes, Herodians, other apocalyptic sects, etc.. Pharasaic traditions were taught and carried mainly through two schools of thought - Hillel and Shammai. Orthodox Judaism probably most carries the teachings and tradition of the Pharisees. But it is true that Christianity shares some common beliefs and teachings with the Pharisees as well.

Unfortunately today, "Pharisee" has become a boogeyman term that really means "baddest of bad guys." But the New Testament gives a more nuanced view as does the historical record. Sometimes the Pharisees treat Jesus as an equal, having him over for dinner. They warn Jesus of danger. We're told to pay attention to what they say. And some of the earliest believers seem to have been Pharisees. Nicodemus was a Pharisee. So was Paul - Paul was a student of Hillel's grandson, Gamaliel who had a rather lenient attitude toward Christians (and is a saint in the Eastern Orthodox church!).

Matt 23:2 “The experts in the law and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat. 23:3 Therefore pay attention to what they tell you and do it. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they teach.

Lk 7:36 Now one of the Pharisees was requesting Him to dine with him, and He entered the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table.

Lk 11: 37 Now when He had spoken, a Pharisee *asked Him to have lunch with him; and He went in, and reclined at the table.

Lk 13:31 Just at that time some Pharisees approached, saying to Him, "Go away, leave here, for Herod wants to kill You."

Acts 15:5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed

Christianity and Orthodox Judaism both descend from a larger Pharasaic tradition with the break between the two occurring in the very late 2nd temple period over several key points of disagreement, to include at least: (1) the status of Jesus as messiah, (2) the two powers in heaven controversy, (3) what to do about Gentile converts.

In short, neither Republicans nor Democrats nor any US political party can be accurately called "Pharisees."

Reactions: iarwain
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Christianity and Orthodox Judaism both descend from a larger Pharasaic tradition with the break between the two occurring in the very late 2nd temple period over several key points of disagreement, to include at least: (1) the status of Jesus as messiah, (2) the two powers in heaven controversy, (3) what to do about Gentile converts.

In short, neither Republicans nor Democrats nor any US political party can be accurately called "Pharisees."

Yeksid. I think you might have misunderstood and possibly it was my explanation being insufficient. But I meant taking a lead role in accusing the country of sin but not lifting a finger themselves for Christ and instead for political and religious dogmas and beliefs that yield fleshy fruit like bands of youth unifying against Christ and the church unlike I have seen in my lifetime.

I am in forums of worldly folk who hate Jesus and the church because of the name the right carries with it. When much of what the right does is as horrific as anything else we vote against. We must separate ourselves from political poles as Christians and be careful how we speak as to not poison the well of our youths experience of what the church represents

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So my question is this, when does a Christian cross the line from republican voting (because right now that’s where Christian values are most represented) and acting like a Pharisee accusing the world of sin and touting your political views and not convicting them of Christ ?
Probably when the Christian fails to separate their views adequately. Christians on the left are also guilty of this.

I'm politically conservative, but I know there are quite a few political conservatives who are theologically liberal, as well as not Christian at all.

I'm conservative in Christian doctrine too, in that I try to not go to the left or the right of what the Biblical text says. Those who add to Scripture sin. Those who dilute it also sin. I try to do neither.

One does not require the other strictly speaking, but I happen to be both. I recognize that there is some flex allowable for Christians - if someone disagrees with me on the minimum wage for instance, that doesn't mean they're sinning. If someone refuses me the same courtesy, they are sinning, because they have projected their beliefs onto God.

Reactions: Gary987
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

From a purely scriptural standpoint there no party that fits what you are describing. I think a vast number of voters who describe themselves as Christian side with the Republican Party because the Democratic Party is openly embracing sin and calling it lifestyle. Openly embracing killing children and calling it woman’s rights and so much more.

That is true.

Reactions: Gary987
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When a person wants to be a republican for religious reasons, you have to look at the morals and principles of the man who now owns the republican party.

A guy who uses the Ten Commandments like bathroom tissue.

There are some proclaimed Christians who admire that kind of thing. If so, they're welcome to go have it. But don't link the rest of us to it.

Upvote 0