Reps. Jordan, Gaetz Endorse ‘FreeBritney’ Movement, Demand Hearings On Conservatorships

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "It's my money, and I want it now", files: Reps. Jordan, Gaetz Endorse ‘FreeBritney’ Movement, Demand Hearings On Conservatorships

In the 13 years since being placed under a conservatorship reserved for those incapacitated, the pop star singer with a Forbes’ estimated networth of $60 million has maintained a prolific career.
Britney however, had made clear her objections to the legal prison restraining her under her father’s lucrative command and has stopped performing while in his custody.
“Despite Mr. Spears’s claiming to want nothing more than to see Ms. Spears ‘not need a conservatorship,’ his attorney admitted in a recent documentary, ‘Of the cases I’ve been involved in, I have not seen a conservatee who has successfully terminated a conservatorship,'” House lawmakers wrote to Nadler demanding a hearing. “Ms. Spears is not alone. There are countless other Americans unjustly stripped of their freedoms by others with little recourse.”

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,580.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I agree with them that the issue with Britney Spears is disgusting, and me agree with those two on anything is frankly a bit shocking. That being said, I don't see the point of a Congressional hearing. Conservaships are matter of state law, not federal.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From the "It's my money, and I want it now", files: Reps. Jordan, Gaetz Endorse ‘FreeBritney’ Movement, Demand Hearings On Conservatorships

In the 13 years since being placed under a conservatorship reserved for those incapacitated, the pop star singer with a Forbes’ estimated networth of $60 million has maintained a prolific career.
Britney however, had made clear her objections to the legal prison restraining her under her father’s lucrative command and has stopped performing while in his custody.
“Despite Mr. Spears’s claiming to want nothing more than to see Ms. Spears ‘not need a conservatorship,’ his attorney admitted in a recent documentary, ‘Of the cases I’ve been involved in, I have not seen a conservatee who has successfully terminated a conservatorship,'” House lawmakers wrote to Nadler demanding a hearing. “Ms. Spears is not alone. There are countless other Americans unjustly stripped of their freedoms by others with little recourse.”
Brittney Spears have mental problems ,that need to be kept in check. Her dad basically saved her. This should be a private matter. And should have nothing to do with politicians, that are trying to keep their party alive.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
If Britney wasn’t wealthy she’d be like others with mental health issues managing alone. Her money is the draw and that’s the problem. He didn’t earn it and has no right to control her assets.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm questioning why Congress needs to hold hearings, other than to give Rep. Jordan another chance to be in front of cameras? It sounds like they can already tell there are issues with conservatorships and have a good idea what those are. It seems it shouldn't be that hard to draft a law that will fix the issues and even get it passed (seems like they should be able to find a Democrat willing to co-sponsor on this type of issue).

Wanting a hearing looks more like an attempt to grandstand, particularly when they can bring in a celebrity to testify, rather than an honest attempt to solve the issue.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm questioning why Congress needs to hold hearings, other than to give Rep. Jordan another chance to be in front of cameras? It sounds like they can already tell there are issues with conservatorships and have a good idea what those are. It seems it shouldn't be that hard to draft a law that will fix the issues and even get it passed (seems like they should be able to find a Democrat willing to co-sponsor on this type of issue).

Wanting a hearing looks more like an attempt to grandstand, particularly when they can bring in a celebrity to testify, rather than an honest attempt to solve the issue.
Can you remind me which Democrat has moved out in front with this issue?

Politicians are all about effecting social change ... or so many claim.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why does a Democrat need to "move out in front"? I didn't claim they shouldn't "fix" the problem and I have zero issues with Republicans trying to effect change. Maybe you could explain exactly what they hope to learn from hearings that they don't already know; particularly from a celebrity, who has already publicly spoken on her issues?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why does a Democrat need to "move out in front"?
You're the one who suggested Republican were simply grand-standing and should let Democrats take charge and move ahead with the issue. Apparently, there are no Democrats taking up the mantle.
I didn't claim they shouldn't "fix" the problem and I have zero issues with Republicans trying to effect change. Maybe you could explain exactly what they hope to learn from hearings that they don't already know; particularly from a celebrity, who has already publicly spoken on her issues?
Why are you asking me all these questions?

I merely posted what Republicans are currently doing. Judging from subsequent posts, others agree that the issue not only deserves scrutiny but remedies as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're the one who suggested Republican were simply grand-standing and should let Democrats take charge and move ahead with the issue. Apparently, there are no Democrats taking up the mantle.

Why are you asking me all these questions?

I merely posted what Republicans are currently doing. Judging from subsequent posts, others agree that the issue not only deserves scrutiny but remedies as well.

Seems like you've created a strawman. I never claimed Democrats should "take charge." What I stated is that the Republicans worried about the issue might add a Democrat to co-sponsor the legislation, which would likely help them get it pushed through the House (with its Democratic majority).

What I stated is that Rep. Johnson appears to be grandstanding, as I can't see what he expects to really learn from these hearings, other than a chance to bring in a celebrity and get press. Instead, it seems like he already has a good idea what needs to be changed and he can sit down and write a bill to fix the issues. I'm saying that the call for hearings is grandstanding, not Republicans wanting to fix the issue.

I'm asking you these questions as you apparently are trying to falsely claim I'm saying Democrats should "take charge," something I never claimed. Instead, I said it sounds like a worthy endeavor they should actually fix; not just call for "hearings" so they can look like doing something (particularly with the celebrity angle) without actually accomplishing anything.

• Winner
Reactions: RocksInMyHead
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Politicians are all about effecting social change ... or so many claim.
They’re not changing the correct things!—Ever the Cry of the Minority Party

Upvote 0