Report: Pope Francis Plans to Remove Cardinal Burke’s Salary and Vatican Apartment Over Perceived Church ‘Disunity’

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
“Cardinals have what they call “The Cardinal’s Plate,” Scheel explains. “Cardinals get 5,000 euros a month…That’s $68,000 per year [in American currency],” explains Scheel.”

They also get free room and board.
Well, I wouldn't exactly call that rolling in the dough. . .

I have seen some wealthy parish priests (who generally have it from family, prior work, etc.) but this has been pretty rare. Haven't seen too many that live lavish at all, but it would be interesting to see some actual stats on it. It's not like a room in your average rectory is an 8-bedrom mansion, we have to keep it real here. It's not like if you roll to Ruth Chris on a random evening you will find 3 priests dining there. . . If I've seen one with a car, it is typically something like a Ford. And as far as freebies from parishioners, sure, I've seen that happen too, but that's also highly dependent on the community in which the priest serves. If you look at the worldwide Catholic population, I'd be willing to bet that we are not exactly among the richest, a huge number of us being located in the global south. But yeah, I can see that happening more in some of the wealthier Catholic communities in the US and Europe. What you say does happen, but my perception is that it is more the exception than the rule.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The original report does not name a source. It names an "unnamed Vatican source". I am willing to give the initial reporter the benefit of the doubt and assume that this "unnamed Vatican source" exists, but the "unnamed Vatican source" was not willing to put his name behind what he said, which makes it uncredible. The initial report could have stated "My unnamed source at the Vatican told me that during the meeting at which Pope Francis revoked Cardinal Burke's privileges, he decided to excommunicate our Lord Jesus from the Catholic Church, and commanded that every oldest son born in the year 2023 shall be put to death" and this statement would have exactly the same amount of credibility as the equally ridiculous "Cardinal Burke is my enemy, so I take away his apartment and his salary" statement that the report alleged.

Funny. Blessed is he who has not seen and yet believes.

I've got no problem if you want to say "one person reported that he said X and another person reported that he did not say X and because we do not have a transcript we cannot verify what actually happened".

But when there is scant evidence on either side, it is improper to presume that the negative interpretation is true, until proven otherwise. The proper thing to do in that situation is to interpret the situation in the positive light just as the Catechism (and the tradition of the Church) dictates. At the very least the vicar of Christ should be given the benefit of the doubt.
The vicar of Christ can provide a transcript. Otherwise what he did or did not say will remain under a cloud. Which is to say "one person reported that he said X and another person reported that he did not say X and because we do not have a transcript we cannot verify what actually happened". Pope Francis can clear it up if he wants to by providing an account not filtered by an apologist. He could tell the cardinal to his face too, or at least by letter. It's kind of rude to hear about something like this being done to you via the AP.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
“Cardinals have what they call “The Cardinal’s Plate,” Scheel explains. “Cardinals get 5,000 euros a month…That’s $68,000 per year [in American currency],” explains Scheel.”

They also get free room and board.
Are you saying 'The Cardinal's Plate' is not what pope Francis is cutting off? Are you saying when pope Francis terminates cardinal Burke's housing he continues to get free room and board? Do you know?

Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The vicar of Christ can provide a transcript. Otherwise what he did or did not say will remain under a cloud. Which is to say "one person reported that he said X and another person reported that he did not say X and because we do not have a transcript we cannot verify what actually happened". Pope Francis can clear it up if he wants to by providing an account not filtered by an apologist. He could tell the cardinal to his face too, or at least by letter. It's kind of rude to hear about something like this being done to you via the AP.
That is fair. That is something that you would want to say to the affected person before announcing it to others, when possible.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That is something that you would want to say to the affected person before announcing it to others, when possible.
You would think. Maybe that is coming some day soon.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, I wouldn't exactly call that rolling in the dough. . .
That's just from the Vatican. They also get a pension in the USA.

If you can't live on $68,000 per year with free room and board, you've got problems that
have nothing to do with your level of pay.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying 'The Cardinal's Plate' is not what pope Francis is cutting off? Are you saying when pope Francis terminates cardinal Burke's housing he continues to get free room and board? Do you know?
Pope Francis is a Jesuit and his pay originally came from the Jesuit Order.

As Pope, he gave up the papal palace and moved into the apartment that other clergy stay in.

He gave up the gold throne and red shoes.

Remember this? .......https://www.tribdem.com/news/pope-francis-humility-stops-by-hotel-to-pay-bill/article_1c500008-e499-5df1-9711-443190574579.html

Pope Francis has lived according to his vow of poverty all of his priestly life. What he is paid as Pope is uncertain,
but other cardinals of the currier were upset when their life of luxury was removed by Pope Francis. :D

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Pope Francis is a Jesuit and his pay originally came from the Jesuit Order.

As Pope, he gave up the papal palace and moved into the apartment that other clergy stay in.

He gave up the gold throne and red shoes.

Remember this? .......https://www.tribdem.com/news/pope-francis-humility-stops-by-hotel-to-pay-bill/article_1c500008-e499-5df1-9711-443190574579.html

Pope Francis has lived according to his vow of poverty all of his priestly life. What he is paid as Pope is uncertain,
but other cardinals of the currier were upset when their life of luxury was removed by Pope Francis. :D
You answered some other question from what I asked.

Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's just from the Vatican. They also get a pension in the USA.

If you can't live on $68,000 per year with free room and board, you've got problems that
have nothing to do with your level of pay.
Certainly you can live nicely on that for sure, but you ain't exactly buying a yacht. A top doctor or lawyer earns that in 1 month in many cities.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Certainly you can live nicely on that for sure, but you ain't exactly buying a yacht. A top doctor or lawyer earns that in 1 month in many cities.
FYI, diocesan priest have extra spending cash which they invest in the stock market with. They also buy
real-estate and other things that earn them good amounts of wealth.

Don't believe me, but I happen to have known such priest in my 72 years.

Most priest are good men, who are very much devoted to Christ. But there is a minority of priests, just
like those in the sex abuse scandal, that do not live according to the Gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
FYI, diocesan priest have extra spending cash which they invest in the stock market with. They also buy
real-estate and other things that earn them good amounts of wealth.

Don't believe me, but I happen to have known such priest in my 72 years.

Most priest are good men, who are very much devoted to Christ. But there is a minority of priests, just
like those in the sex abuse scandal, that do not live according to the Gospel.
I dunno if the parish priest gets all that much. I would guess that the average parish priest gets like a $30,000 stipend on top of free housing. I mean nobody really becomes a parish priest to get rich, let's keep it real. You live in a rectory and get a stipend that you can use however you want, but you ain't exactly buying a Lambo on that.

But yeah, I have heard of some cases here or there where certain clergy work the system and receive things that appear a little excessive, for sure.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I dunno if the parish priest gets all that much. I would guess that the average parish priest gets like a $30,000 stipend on top of free housing. I mean nobody really becomes a parish priest to get rich, let's keep it real. You live in a rectory and get a stipend that you can use however you want, but you ain't exactly buying a Lambo on that.

But yeah, I have heard of some cases here or there where certain clergy work the system and receive things that appear a little excessive, for sure.
The priests are paid by the dioceses, not the parish. The parishes pay what my father-in-law, who kept the books for three
parishes, a tax to the dioceses.

In my dioceses, the dioceses even charges for the Catholic Free Press, according to the number of people
in the parish. Not sure how that works today, being I read the Free Press e-edition on line.

I agree that most are not super rich, but compared to most families, they live well.

Reactions: IcyChain
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Finally finally the pope has the belated decency to himself tell cardinal Burke what the cardinal had to learn from the AP.
There is no reason to believe that the decision was intended to go to the press before Cardinal Burke was informed.

The information appears to have been leaked by an anonymous source.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There is no reason to believe that the decision was intended to go to the press before Cardinal Burke was informed.
Oh of course not.
The information appears to have been leaked by an anonymous source.
And confirmed by others, and a part contradicted by somebody else, and discussed around the world for days, and finally finally the pope has the decency to have one of his people send a note to cardinal Burke telling him to pack up. This was well handled.

But I'm betting that anonymous source and those who confirmed it will be found out and punished soon enough.

Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh of course not.

And confirmed by others, and a part contradicted by somebody else, and discussed around the world for days, and finally finally the pope has the decency to have one of his people send a note to cardinal Burke telling him to pack up. This was well handled.

But I'm betting that anonymous source and those who confirmed it will be found out and punished soon enough.
It could have been handled better, but it's not always easy to keep things under wraps when you have the trad anti-Francis industry and Satan constantly working to undermine you.

The official letter took about a week after the leak. It would have been better if the letter had gone out sooner, but it ain't like the police showed up in Rome this morning with a 24hour order to vacate. Nor should it come as any surprise to Cardinal Burke that the pope would like him to leave.

"The letter did not arrive soon enough!" sounds just as nit-picky and petty as the leak and other nonsense that occurred here. Seems a bit like just keep throwing stones at the pope until something hits.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Nor should it come as any surprise to Cardinal Burke that the pope would like him to leave.
In deed. But Austin Ivereigh says cardinal Burke is not an enemy.
"The letter did not arrive soon enough!" sounds just as nit-picky and petty as the leak and other nonsense that occurred here.
More like the letter was not 'written' soon enough.

Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In deed. But Austin Ivereigh says cardinal Burke is not an enemy.

More like the letter was not 'written' soon enough.
"Written" 6 days after the leak.The pope has other items on his agenda apparently. Who would have known.

If it were 5 days some will complain that it should have been 4.

If it were 2 days some will complain that it should have been 1.

If it were 24 hours some will complain that it should have been 8 hours.

If it were 8 hours the they will complain that the letter was not written in the appropriate font size.

That's the way the anti-Francis accusers work.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
"Written" 6 days after the leak.The pope has other items on his agenda apparently. Who would have known.

If it were 5 days some will complain that it should have been 4.

If it were 2 days some will complain that it should have been 1.

If it were 24 hours some will complain that it should have been 8 hours.

If it were 8 hours the they will complain that the letter was not written in the appropriate font size.

That's the way the anti-Francis accusers work.
Actually that's a pretty clever response. Make it all about how awful I am. But you said it all when you said "Nor should it come as any surprise to Cardinal Burke that the pope would like him to leave."

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0