DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
I am assuming nothing. Most congregations I know use plain olive oil, which I think is fine.

But this is the usual use for those who want to replicate the OT anointing oil. That and to ordain pastors. deacons, elders, etc.
I guess you did not catch the last verse in the passage from the OP did you? It was NOT supposed to be used on people. I suppose if someone thinks they have to replicate an ancient OT Levitical oil they should at least follow the instructions right?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess you did not catch the last verse in the passage from the OP did you? It was NOT supposed to be used on people. I suppose if someone thinks they have to replicate an ancient OT Levitical oil they should at least follow the instructions right?
It WAS to be used on Aaron and his sons. But no one else. And no one was to make a duplicate.

And to limit it to Aaron, et al takes all the fun out of it.
They take "we ain't under no law" to mean they can do pretty much anything they want.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I replicated the exact Holy Anointing Oil in Exodus, with the recipe found in Exodus 20

There appears to be a warning in the passage, would this warning apply to me, a believer in Christ?

The Anointing Oil

22Moreover, the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 23“Take also for yourself the finest of spices: of flowing myrrh five hundred shekels, and of fragrant cinnamon half as much, two hundred and fifty, and of fragrant cane two hundred and fifty, 24and of cassia five hundred, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and of olive oil a hin. 25“You shall make of these a holy anointing oil, a perfume mixture, the work of a perfumer; it shall be a holy anointing oil. 26“With it you shall anoint the tent of meeting and the ark of the testimony, 27and the table and all its utensils, and the lampstand and its utensils, and the altar of incense, 28and the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, and the laver and its stand. 29“You shall also consecrate them, that they may be most holy; whatever touches them shall be holy. 30“You shall anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister as priests to Me. 31“You shall speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘This shall be a holy anointing oil to Me throughout your generations. 32‘It shall not be poured on anyone’s body, nor shall you make any like it in the same proportions; it is holy, and it shall be holy to you. 33‘Whoever shall mix any like it or whoever puts any of it on a layman shall be cut off from his people.’”

This passage, contextually, was for ancient Israelites at the time of Aaron and Moses. I don't think it directly transposes to us in modern times, under the covenant of Grace.

There are no sacramental priests under the new covenant, because the sacrificial system was completed fully and sufficiently in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At present that is true.

"That seat" is in the Levitical Aaronic priesthood order. So who exactly is filling the LEVITICAL high priest office? (NOT the Melchizedek order high priest)
The ONE to whon it belonged to from the beginning. THE LORD. And if one is not born and led by HIS SPIRIT they have no right to take on any duties in any type of temporal priestly ministry

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anointing.

Jam 5.14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;
Why?

Can a man use a temporal shadow of the things that were pointing ahead and fulfilled in CHRIST? And why would a man want to go backwards to these things?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do so many Christians get their feathers ruffles about stuff that was commanded for the ISRAELITES in the Old Testament? Live your life in Christ not the Old Testament law.
Then are you advising this man to continue on and not to concern himself with doing this?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am assuming nothing. Most congregations I know use plain olive oil, which I think is fine.

But this is the usual use for those who want to replicate the OT anointing oil. That and to ordain pastors. deacons, elders, etc.
Who WANTS to?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why?

Can a man use a temporal shadow of the things that were pointing ahead and fulfilled in CHRIST? And why would a man want to go backwards to these things?
Are you claiming James was going backwards?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It WAS to be used on Aaron and his sons. But no one else. And no one was to make a duplicate.

And to limit it to Aaron, et al takes all the fun out of it.
They take "we ain't under no law" to mean they can do pretty much anything they want.
You are being sarcastic right?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who WANTS to?
Who wants to WHAT exactly?

Anoint the sick for healing?
Ordain congregational leaders?
Or duplicate the Temple dedication oil?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you claiming James was going backwards?
You are talking about one who is declared "righteous" laying their hands on the sick using that oil. Not one just
deciding to duplicate some sort of oil as a replicate of the Holy Spirit but one who has already received the Holy Spirit using sacramental things which were simply signs of what GOD has already done first.

That man that elder called should have been already anointed by the TRUE ANOINTING which is from GOD. The physical oil is not the thing that makes the man clean and healed. It is the prayers of the know declared "righteous" in the sight of GOD who by and through faith in HIS SON is as the aroma of CHRIST before GOD

No amount of replicated oil can fool GOD

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are talking about one who is declared "righteous" laying their hands on the sick using that oil. Not one just
deciding to duplicate some sort of oil as a replicate of the Holy Spirit but one who has already received the Holy Spirit using sacramental things which were simply signs of what GOD has already done first.

That man that elder called should have been already anointed by the TRUE ANOINTING which is from GOD
You are throwing the plain meaning of James on its head.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You believe that not a jot or a tittle if the law will pass until all has been accomplished
Correct?
That was what HE said.

But "all" has not been accomplished yet. We have NOT seen "face to face" 1 Cor 13. Nor has the devil been confined to hell forever. The Kingdoms of this world have not YET become the Kingdom of our Lord and His Messiah.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was what HE said.

But "all" has not been accomplished yet. We have NOT seen "face to face" 1 Cor 13. Nor has the devil been confined to hell forever. The Kingdoms of this world have not YET become the Kingdom of our Lord and His Messiah.
The reason why the law will not pass is because not all men handle the law properly not having been born of THE SPIRIT they can not and are not led by the promptings of THE SPIRIT so as to make the law of effect so as not to misrepresent GOD

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shall we take all of James 5 then in context to see who is throwing the plain meaning of James on its head?
Doing that is seriously off topic.

Only verses 13-16 are on topic with anointing oil (and really only v 14). But lets see the surrounding verses for context:

13 Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; 15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

After chiding wrong attitudes and behaviors, James is telling his readers what PROPER attitudes and actions are in various situations. So the sick are to call on the ELDERS (plural) of the congregation to pray and anoint them.

To do otherwise is to disobey scripture.

Upvote 0