Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I replicated the exact Holy Anointing Oil in Exodus, with the recipe found in Exodus 20

There appears to be a warning in the passage, would this warning apply to me, a believer in Christ?

The Anointing Oil

22Moreover, the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 23“Take also for yourself the finest of spices: of flowing myrrh five hundred shekels, and of fragrant cinnamon half as much, two hundred and fifty, and of fragrant cane two hundred and fifty, 24and of cassia five hundred, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and of olive oil a hin. 25“You shall make of these a holy anointing oil, a perfume mixture, the work of a perfumer; it shall be a holy anointing oil. 26“With it you shall anoint the tent of meeting and the ark of the testimony, 27and the table and all its utensils, and the lampstand and its utensils, and the altar of incense, 28and the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, and the laver and its stand. 29“You shall also consecrate them, that they may be most holy; whatever touches them shall be holy. 30“You shall anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister as priests to Me. 31“You shall speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘This shall be a holy anointing oil to Me throughout your generations. 32‘It shall not be poured on anyone’s body, nor shall you make any like it in the same proportions; it is holy, and it shall be holy to you. 33‘Whoever shall mix any like it or whoever puts any of it on a layman shall be cut off from his people.’”

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The-Holy-Anointing-Oil.png

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I replicated the exact Holy Anointing Oil in Exodus, with the recipe found in Exodus 20

There appears to be a warning in the passage, would this warning apply to me, a believer in Christ?

The Anointing Oil

22Moreover, the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 23“Take also for yourself the finest of spices: of flowing myrrh five hundred shekels, and of fragrant cinnamon half as much, two hundred and fifty, and of fragrant cane two hundred and fifty, 24and of cassia five hundred, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and of olive oil a hin. 25“You shall make of these a holy anointing oil, a perfume mixture, the work of a perfumer; it shall be a holy anointing oil. 26“With it you shall anoint the tent of meeting and the ark of the testimony, 27and the table and all its utensils, and the lampstand and its utensils, and the altar of incense, 28and the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, and the laver and its stand. 29“You shall also consecrate them, that they may be most holy; whatever touches them shall be holy. 30“You shall anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister as priests to Me. 31“You shall speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘This shall be a holy anointing oil to Me throughout your generations. 32‘It shall not be poured on anyone’s body, nor shall you make any like it in the same proportions; it is holy, and it shall be holy to you. 33‘Whoever shall mix any like it or whoever puts any of it on a layman shall be cut off from his people.’”
You are fine. We are priests to God and holy in Christ.

The oil was typical of the Spirit. Just as there was no true atonement in the sacrifices there is no spiritual efficacy in the oil. It is just a mixture of physical things that represent the Spirit. All of the holy things in the Tabernacle and Temple were typical of Christ, the Spirit and the truth of salvation in Him alone.

If I can find it I will post John Bunyan's writing on the spiritual nature of the tabernacle. You remember him. He wrote "Pilgrim's Progress".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
In light of twins post from above, why would it be a warning to a NT believer in Christ, with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit
Did you read the Scripture where you 'found' the formula ?

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Did you read the Scripture where you 'found' the formula ?

I did, I made the oil myself, exact recipe pursuant to Exodus 20, I find it is an amazing scent, smells like a biblical aroma.

I am concerned because of the warning in passage, which is why I posted here!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I did, I made the oil myself, exact recipe pursuant to Exodus 20, I find it is an amazing scent, smells like a biblical aroma.

I am concerned because of the warning in passage, which is why I posted here!
Perhaps an analogy with something else will help ?
Do you believe Yhwh is Right when HE says HE hates divorce ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God seems to want love not incense.

Isaiah 66 This is what the Lord says:

“Heaven is my throne,
and the earth is my footstool.
Where is the house you will build for me?
Where will my resting place be?

2 Has not my hand made all these things,
and so they came into being?”
declares the Lord.

“These are the ones I look on with favor:
those who are humble and contrite in spirit,
and who tremble at my word.

3 But whoever sacrifices a bull
is like one who kills a person,
and whoever offers a lamb
is like one who breaks a dog’s neck;
whoever makes a grain offering
is like one who presents pig’s blood,
and whoever burns memorial incense
is like one who worships an idol.

They have chosen their own ways,
and they delight in their abominations;

4 so I also will choose harsh treatment for them
and will bring on them what they dread.
For when I called, no one answered,
when I spoke, no one listened.
They did evil in my sight
and chose what displeases me.”

Ephesians 5 1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
That Anointing Oil appears to be designed for GOD Only, not for anyone else.
Remember what happened
when the people took an image of the snake for themselves not appointed by Yhwh
and used it other than Yhwh had appointed it for....

instead of HEALING when people looked at it,

I believe many people died. (as has happened often in the last 2000 years worldwide)

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Remember what happened
when the people took an image of the snake for themselves not appointed by Yhwh
and used it other than Yhwh had appointed it for....

instead of HEALING when people looked at it,

I believe many people died. (as has happened often in the last 2000 years worldwide)
The oil is nothing, faith in Christ is everything. Every single sin of the believer was put away by the sacrifice of Christ. We do not need a works righteousness for we are as righteous as God's Son. We live by faith not by sight. We walk in this world looking to Christ by faith not to law or Old Testament rules and practices.

It seems to me that someone needs to learn the Gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God seems to want love not incense.

Isaiah 66 This is what the Lord says:

“Heaven is my throne,
and the earth is my footstool.
Where is the house you will build for me?
Where will my resting place be?

2 Has not my hand made all these things,
and so they came into being?”
declares the Lord.

“These are the ones I look on with favor:
those who are humble and contrite in spirit,
and who tremble at my word.

3 But whoever sacrifices a bull
is like one who kills a person,
and whoever offers a lamb
is like one who breaks a dog’s neck;
whoever makes a grain offering
is like one who presents pig’s blood,
and whoever burns memorial incense
is like one who worships an idol.

They have chosen their own ways,
and they delight in their abominations;

4 so I also will choose harsh treatment for them
and will bring on them what they dread.
For when I called, no one answered,
when I spoke, no one listened.
They did evil in my sight
and chose what displeases me.”

Ephesians 5 1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

I would want to give him both, and also use the oil

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You are fine. We are priests to God and holy in Christ.

The oil was typical of the Spirit. Just as there was no true atonement in the sacrifices there is no spiritual efficacy in the oil. It is just a mixture of physical things that represent the Spirit. All of the holy things in the Tabernacle and Temple were typical of Christ, the Spirit and the truth of salvation in Him alone.

If I can find it I will post John Bunyan's writing on the spiritual nature of the tabernacle. You remember him. He wrote "Pilgrim's Progress".

Ummmm. The text says "whatever the oil touched was holy". Thus it had literal holy value. It's not symbolic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ummmm. The text says "whatever the oil touched was holy". Thus it had literal holy value. It's not symbolic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holy simply means separated unto God for His use. It is the same word we use as sanctified.

All believers are sanctified, separated unto God for His use, and need not fear Him in any way.

The oil is of no value to God for it only pictured the Spirit which all believers have.

Using it as a talisman though is WRONG! All we need is Christ and He is enough. We don't need holy oil, pictures that don't even look like the Lord Jesus, crosses or anything else that we use as though they make some sort of difference.

By all means use the oil to stir a good smell but NEVER as something that can bring you closer to God.

Upvote 0