I Witness

Oct 18, 2016
AB
✟721.00
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Private
Yes. Baptism does seal the deal. Read what Peter said about baptism.

It is a pledge between you and God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit to keep a clear conscience toward God.

A pledge is a covenant between you and God. Romans. For as many as have been baptized have been baptized into his death.

What did Jesus die to? Jesus died to sin!

Why was Jesus baptized by John? To fulfill all righteousness. The law did not require baptism. There is no regulation in the law about baptisms.

Jesus fulfilled righteousness by keeping a clear conscience toward man and the Father leaving us an example to follow.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Water baptism is meant to be a testimony, an acknowledgement of our need to die to sin, so that we may be alive unto God and His Righteousness. Also it professes faith in Christ's resurrection and the resurrection of the body.

And that we believe in God's Love & Power to accomplish this miracle.

But it is possible for someone to go through the motions, (out of being pressured to conform), to attain status or the like, and in such an instance that would not be recognized as a fulfillment of what is promised / instructed.

If the heart isn't right, the act itself won't be right either.

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: <---> Romans 6:3-5

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Water baptism is meant to be a testimony, an acknowledgement of our need to die to sin, so that we may be alive unto God and His Righteousness. Also it professes faith in Christ's resurrection and the resurrection of the body.

And that we believe in God's Love & Power to accomplish this miracle.

But it is possible for someone to go through the motions, (out of being pressured to conform), to attain status or the like, and in such an instance that would not be recognized as a fulfillment of what is promised / instructed.

If the heart isn't right, the act itself won't be right either.

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: <---> Romans 6:3-5

Paul tells the crowd in Athens that they have been ignoring their Creator, and have indulged in seeking their own interests by worshipping idols using gold and silver images, hoping in turn to get wealth and happiness. Their neglect of their Master had been overlooked in the past, but now He will no longer tolerate their negligence, and judgment awaits those under infraction, confirming this by resurrecting Christ, who will be their judge.

Baptism is the acceptance of this truth and symbolises repentance, turning from seeking fulfillment through idols/the world to serving the true Creator.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not flip flopping definitions. You are talking of a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TOPIC ALTOGETHER. Fullness of the Truth is not fullness of the spirit.

And I don't choose not to go to church. I CAN'T go to Church. You can go to Church. You have the ability to go to church.

So don't YOU judge me. You have nowhere to stand, for you create a double standard. You do not do something you can do. I want to do something I can't. You may as well judge a quadriplegic for not lifting the fallen log off of the person it fell on while you're a fireman who was next to the same victim. The quadriplegic isn't expected to live up to that standard, but he would be right in judging you, the fireman, for not doing what you not only can do, but are expected to do.
You don't even know me, how can you judge what you don't know? I forgive you though. You don't know any better. God bless you, have a good evening.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So if someone wants to follow Jesus the person needs to Repent and be Baptized.
I'm sure everyone here will agree with this statement.

Ok so tell me, what is the person repenting from?
How does he know he did something wrong?
How does he know what IS WRONG?

Do pastors just accept someone just saying, "i repented" ?
Doesn't the person need to know what they are repenting from?
So that they don't start doing things that are WRONG all over again?

Do people really think that telling someone that they need to repent but not tell them what repentance really means and where THEY can find out what IS WRONG, what is SIN... do people really think this is actually OK?

There is one source that tells a person what they need to repent from - The Bible.
God's instructions tell us what is SIN, what is WRONG.

To tell a person they need to repent but not point them to God's instructions so that they can actually see for themselves what God says SIN is, is really deceiving a person.
Making anyone think that they repented when they really have no idea what they are repenting from is just plain wrong.

in principle the truth of God is based on quite understandable universal laws - for example it begins with the fact that no soul would like to experience what is harmful, unpleasant or unbearable to them, especially for (too) long, and even if there is someone temerarious to claim they want (or don't object) to suffer(ing) so, it is certain they will change their mind when the pain becomes intolerable not so long after it starts i.e. in case they are subjected to such a thing

Romans 1:20 "the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:",

Romans 2:1 "Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things."

but there are also some things hard to be understood, namely the spiritual ones that can be discerned/appraised only spiritually, that is why there is a need of people that can preach the Gospel well enough:

2 Peter 3:15-16 "account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.",

1 Corinthians 2:12-14 (NIV) "What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.",

Romans 10:13-16 "whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?"

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
You don't even know me, how can you judge what you don't know? I forgive you though. You don't know any better. God bless you, have a good evening.
I'm judging the words. You're talking about fullness of the spirit, while I'm talking about the fullness of the Truth which was delivered once by Christ. The Spirit is constantly given to us throughout life and we will be full of the Spirit ONLY when we are in heaven. Until we reach heaven, we will always have some imperfection to correct. You and I will always believe some false teaching. This is why God gave some to be teachers. The people who need teachers the most are those who believe they have no need of teachers at all. The belief that one has already arrived at the Truth completely and without error is the belief that he is completely perfect, and the only Person Who is perfect is Jesus Christ. Until we are perfect, we will always need the teachers God appoints, and to reject them is to reject God. Tell me, if Jesus Christ appeared in front of you and told you to go to Church, would you then obey Him?

Scripture gives the answer. When the rich man is suffering in torment after death he begs for Lazarus to be sent to the living to correct their ways. Abraham's answer is chilling: "They already have the words of Moses and the prophets. If they will not follow those, they will not repent, even if one were to rise from the dead".

If we are unwilling to listen to Scripture directly, and obey it directly, then we wouldn't obey it if Christ Himself came to tell us. Sure, we might SAY that we would, but the reality is that we have already made up our minds.

A person, on his own, has none of the safeguards Christ and the Apostles set for the early Church. Since he has no teacher, he has nothing to keep him from falling off the edge into heresy. Since he has no submission to his brethren, he has nothing to catch him when he does fall.

Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
-Proverbs 15:22

We need other people, because when we are alone, we are weak. We really are stronger together.

Upvote 0