Religion in Hollywood: Tom Cruise Vs. Mel Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Cruise Vs. Mel Gibson
By Cliff Kincaid | July 26, 2005

Scientology and Islam are two religions gaining favor in Hollywood.
divider_line_gray.gif

We have commented on actor Tom Cruise using the media to preach the virtues of Scientology and the evils of psychiatry. He gave interviews about his new film, "War of the Worlds," as long as he was permitted to talk about his religion. Some journalists who interviewed him had to learn something about Scientology before the interview.

In addition to this Tom Cruise media blitz, stories have appeared depicting Scientology as the new "it" religion. To his credit, NBC Today Show co-host Matt Lauer challenged Cruise about his beliefs, including his view that psychiatric drugs should never be used on anybody. When Lauer pointed out that psychiatric drugs have actually helped some people, Cruise rejected that, saying Lauer didn't know what he was talking about.

Can you imagine Mel Gibson being given these opportunities to promote his own brand of conservative Catholicism? Gibson is such a pariah in Hollywood that he had to finance the production of his own film on Christ. And can you imagine if Gibson had announced he was marrying a young actress-16 years younger-and that she was leaving her religion to join his? Hollywood and much of the rest of the liberal media would be in an uproar.

But Scientology not only has a base in Hollywood, it has enjoyed powerful friends in Washington. For years, Scientology fought a battle with the IRS because the government would not recognize its claim to be a religion. The IRS finally granted Scientology its desired status under President Bill Clinton, the recipient of massive donations from Hollywood.

Now it gets more interesting: Clinton helped the Church of Scientology in return for John Travolta, a member of Scientology, softening up his portrayal of the Clinton character in Primary Colors! Clinton and Travolta cut a deal. Travolta agreed to go easy on Clinton in the movie Primary Colors and Clinton reportedly agreed to use his influence to get the German government to leave Scientology alone.

Now why does Scientology get such a good press? One ex-Scientologist told me, "The reason the press treats them better than Christians is because Scientology will sue at the drop of a pejorative and they don't care if they lose the suit. They do it to punish detractors with the hassle of going through a lawsuit. The media knows this. Christians don't sue, so they are fair game."

Another religion that enjoys cordial relations with Hollywood is Islam.

In the movie version of Tom Clancy's book, The Sum of All Fears, the Islamic terrorists were transformed into European neo-Nazis.

In the popular Fox television show 24, the terrorists who are trying to detonate a nuclear bomb on U.S. soil were Muslim. But the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) was so upset and put so much pressure on Fox that it forced the network to air public service announcements making the obvious claim that not all Muslim are terrorists. CAIR also claimed that network representatives had also "removed some aspects that could potentially be viewed as stereotypical."

Scientology and Islam are two religions gaining favor in Hollywood.

Lifesaver

Fides et Ratio
Jan 8, 2004
São Paulo, Brazil
✟16,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know; the more I learn about Scientology, the worse it seems. I find it hard that this publicity will do it much good, so bizarre it is. It is one of those sects in which people have to gradually adapt to the doctrines; if presented directly to the real deal, most will never give it a thought.

But who knows, there sure are lonely and desperate people who may be convinced by Tom Cruise and John Travolta to get into it.

I guess all we can do is pray for the end of these sects, and for people to search happiness only where it can be found: in the Church.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Maggie893 said:
Interesting article. One reason I think people give Scientology a break is that it's "me" focused rather than God focused. Helps one feel good about oneself and the power they hold over themselves and others.

Sad but Jesus never said we'd be popular.

It's worse than that. Scientology is self worship. They don't believe in God. You are God according to them. And they'll help you learn all about it if you give them thousands of dollars.

Upvote 0

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Maggie893 said:
Interesting article. One reason I think people give Scientology a break is that it's "me" focused rather than God focused. Helps one feel good about oneself and the power they hold over themselves and others.

Sad but Jesus never said we'd be popular.

I agree, we're a ME generated world full of self-fullfillment, self-discovery, self-improvement, self-involved, self-worth, self-esteem, self-depravity, self-destruction...etc...though some of that is good (example: a woman in an abusive relationship finding her own SELF worth and gaining strength to leave) it's gotten to the point of outrageousness.

when i was searching for faith, anything any answers outside the nothing i was surrounded by, you know how i knew Christ was the savior, what really convinced me. that i didn't like it. meaning i hated that had to happen, i hated that i had to admit i was a sinner, i hated giving up certain parts of me that i had deemed my "personality" and that i had been told to accept and love as part of my SELF. i knew it was true, partly cause it DIDN'T fit my life, didn't make my life easier and didn't always work easily for me.

for that same reason i believe many people turn from it, they are looking for something to validate them, something to tell them they are right...

hollywood especially doesn't take kindly to being told they are wrong...they call it closed minded, i call it truth and SELF-denial

Reactions: Maggie893
Upvote 0

Kasia

Pray for our troops!
May 31, 2005
San Diego
✟19,576.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) was so upset and put so much pressure on Fox that it forced the network to air public service announcements making the obvious claim that not all Muslim are terrorists.
I remember that. I actually thought it was pretty cheesy, but what's sad is that some people (actually, a lot of people) need that reminder.

(I love 24 and watch it all the time) :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.