Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The author of this study, Milton Rokeach, found that religious people, especially Protestants, actually did not value compassion very much compared to the non-religious. He found that religious people tend to be inwardly focused and self-centered. Jews, Catholics, and Episcopalians were the least bigoted, with Baptists being the most bigoted. Valuing salvation was not highly correlated with valuing forgiveness, either, and the more somebody valued salvation, the less compassionate they were.

This study dates from the 60's, and I would be curious if the results were still the same today. Many mainline denominations shifted focus after the 60's.

Faith, Hope and Bigotry

I think its still timely considering how many churches still have teachings against gays and Muslims and are still focused on otherworldly salvation, obedience to divine prohibitions, etc., and there seems to be politically a proponderance of self-described Christians among those who support the least compassionate social policies.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The idea -- coming from a Christian -- that anyone of any Christian confession should stop teaching against soul-destroying false religions like Islam, or stop teaching the traditional Christian anthropology that is naturally against the modern sex-obssessed secular anthropology that defines people primarily by what they do with their genitals rather than who and what they were created to be because some study from the 1960s called Baptists bigoted is just about the worst, most theologically-shallow idea I have ever seen expressed on this website. And I've been here a while now.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It sounds to me like it is saying if you don't believe in liberal policies and big government then you are bunch of uncompassionate bigots. What else is new?
It didnt say that.

@FireDragon76 do you have the whole article?

• Agree
Reactions: Rebecca12
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It sounds to me like it is saying if you don't believe in liberal policies and big government then you are bunch of uncompassionate bigots.

Not really. In fact a lot of the bigoted responses had to do with the murder of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Unless you are a member of the far right now days, nobody considers that a political issue.

The idea -- coming from a Christian -- that anyone of any Christian confession ...

I follow Jesus and believe in his ideals, however difficult to follow those are. That includes acting justly towards our Muslim and gay neighbors.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The author of this study, Milton Rokeach, found that religious people, especially Protestants, actually did not value compassion very much compared to the non-religious. He found that religious people tend to be inwardly focused and self-centered. Jews, Catholics, and Episcopalians were the least bigoted, with Baptists being the most bigoted. Valuing salvation was not highly correlated with valuing forgiveness, either, and the more somebody valued salvation, the less compassionate they were.

This study dates from the 60's, and I would be curious if the results were still the same today. Many mainline denominations shifted focus after the 60's.

Faith, Hope and Bigotry

I think its still timely considering how many churches still have teachings against gays and Muslims and are still focused on otherworldly salvation, obedience to divine prohibitions, etc., and there seems to be politically a proponderance of self-described Christians among those who support the least compassionate social policies.

Well, I guess it wouldn't be too much to say that just as in Jesus' time, organized religion doesn't necessarily represent or express the tenets of its foundational sources. There's always going to be "white-washed tombs" standing in the face of all that God would really like to accomplish among humanity.

It's not surprising. And it's nothing new; but it is sad to see.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The idea -- coming from a Christian -- that anyone of any Christian confession ...

I follow Jesus and believe in truth, however difficult to accept it may be.
It didnt say that.

@FireDragon76 do you have the whole article?

Faith, Hope and Bigotry

I'd love to see more research along these lines, curiously to see if the situation has gotten any better. I'm distressed by the amount of bigotry, fear, and self-centeredness I see among Christians.

Even in my own church, sometimes there is a "kinder, gentler" bigotry" at work at times, and I just don't think it is a healthy response to life. The pastor occasionally will make some remark at secularists expense, and I don't think that's right. I think we should really listen to people that feel wounded or hurt by Christianity, and not merely dismiss their concerns.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The 1960s study does not surprise me. I suspect a similar study today would replicate the results. Compassion is a very undervalued virtue today even though it was a priority of Jesus.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me inform you that Jesus Christ according to this world would top the most bigoted and least compassionate list and would still reject practising homosexuals...

Jesus never said anything about gay people but thank you for demonstrating that religious-based contempt for gay people is still alive and well.

Are you with Jesus Christ or are you with the world?

This is a perfect example of the sort of thing Milton Rokeach studied.

Look, this is foolishness, you don't even need to answer my questions, for God already knows your heart.

And I sleep easy at night knowing that.

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The problem with the world and many churches
is they view compassion as leaving one in darkness of sin and calling it love.
Where is the compassion in that, when the end of sin is death.
Its high time to awake to righteousness and sin not.
most have no idea who the real JESUS was , is and always will be.
But then most would rather have a make believe Jesus so they can live in sin and feel saved.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus never said anything about gay people but thank you for demonstrating that religious-based contempt for gay people is still alive and well.
Perhaps, but FD, there are a lot of sexual issues that the writers of the Gospels don't seem to have touched upon in what they apparently shared about in regard to some of the things Jesus said and did. So, we don't really know to what extent Jesus did or did not speak about some sexual subjects.

On the other hand, I think we can see from history that a lot of "Christian" people have held bigoted, even racist views based on what are clearly terrible interpretations of the Biblical contents. One example being the "myth-application" of either the Curse of Cain or the Curse of Ham; and because of lousy interpretations, Black people (or persons of African descent, if you will) have suffered quite a bit at the hands of Muslims and Europeans and Americans.

This is a perfect example of the sort of thing Milton Rokeach studied.
...I would say that we all have to wrestle to some extent with whatever Paul's exact meaning is in Romans chapter 1. But regardless, even if God isn't pleased by people's sexual conduct, this doesn't mean that Christians can then be free to accost and socially upstage homosexuals or any other people group.

And I sleep easy at night knowing that.
I sleep anyway, even when surrounded by Leftists on one side, and Rightists on the other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus spoke of his utter rejection of all practising sin....

Outside are the dogs, and the sorcerers, and the sexually immoral, and the murderers, and the idolaters, and everyone loving and practicing falsehood. (Revelation 22:15)

It is not a case of contempt for people committing the many sins of the world, rather a flat out rejection of practising sins that openly mock our Holy God.

Jesus rejects it, the apostles rejected it and I reject it......

WHO CARES WHAT MEN SAY.

For it is written God is no respecter of persons. (Romans 2:11)

You can idolise your role model, I won't.

Sleep easy while our Holy God and his Christ are being openly mocked and you on the other hand are turning a blind eye to the sins of the world.

Have you become an accessory to the sins of the world and the crimes committed against God and his Christ?

View attachment 199962
Hello times. Yes most are calling evil good and good evil
putting light for dark and dark as light
sweet as bitter and bitter as sweet. Notice also how most think
that GOD wont judge the world , that their is no lake of fire judgment
and that we aint anywhere near the last days.
Because most are under delusion. Hey Jesus never said I cant marry a donkey
guess that is okay , he never said I cant marry a five year old....
SEE the point . Yes You are correct , most have no idea WHO JESUS IS
and they SURE don't love the real JESUS.
IT is sad to have to watch it, but if we love we warn in hopes they repent.

• Prayers
Reactions: The Times
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I follow Jesus and believe in truth, however difficult to accept it may be.

I never wrote that you aren't a Christian. I wrote that you've advanced horrible, theologically-shallow ideas by claiming that it somehow a problem in a Christian context to be against Islam and the normalization of sexual activity-based anthropologies. Obviously these things are not a problem for the world, and the world will love you for embracing everything that is against Christianity, as these two things definitely are, but if your standard is Jesus Christ our God, and the faith of all Christianity down to the present day and forever, then there can be nothing wrong with standing against what the world loves. "Do not love the world nor the things that are in the world" (1 John 2:15) is not a commandment to be superseded by anything or anyone, ever. Rather, we are to live it without compromise, just as we are to be uncompromisingly compassionate.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never wrote that you aren't a Christian. I wrote that you've advanced horrible, theologically-shallow ideas by claiming that it somehow a problem in a Christian context to be against Islam and the normalization of sexual activity-based anthropologies. Obviously these things are not a problem for the world, and the world will love you for embracing everything that is against Christianity, as these two things definitely are, but if your standard is Jesus Christ our God, and the faith of all Christianity down to the present day and forever, then there can be nothing wrong with standing against what the world loves. "Do not love the world nor the things that are in the world" (1 John 2:15) is not a commandment to be superseded by anything or anyone, ever. Rather, we are to live it without compromise, just as we are to be uncompromisingly compassionate.

Of course, we shouldn't compromise our love for God. But as Christians, we do need to make sure our efforts to "not love the world" don't degenerate into an excuse to berate or abuse non-Christians. We need to show our love for Christ by reflecting the Grace, Mercy, and Truth that He Himself would show.

Unfortunately, the history of the U.S. alone shows that countless people who have counted themselves as 'Christians' have had little idea as to what "loving your neighbor" means; it would seem at times they have absorbed preaching befitting the podiums of churches like Westboro Baptist. This kind of thing should *NEVER* be the case, but...........look at the news and ....there it is, in living color!

Personally, I have a tough time in knowing that there are Christians who think Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. somehow "had it coming to him." One can't be much more racist than to think that. [Interesting factoid: at a church I used to attend a long time ago, I found that a tire of my car had been slashed...after I gave a communion message that included my support for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.........go figure! :confused:]

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hello times. Yes most are calling evil good and good evil
putting light for dark and dark as light
sweet as bitter and bitter as sweet. Notice also how most think
that GOD wont judge the world , that their is no lake of fire judgment
and that we aint anywhere near the last days.
Because most are under delusion. Hey Jesus never said I cant marry a donkey
guess that is okay , he never said I cant marry a five year old....
SEE the point . Yes You are correct , most have no idea WHO JESUS IS
and they SURE don't love the real JESUS.
IT is sad to have to watch it, but if we love we warn in hopes they repent.

Always and I mean always ask Jesus to please protect us and to guide us. I make it a prayer in my heart to ask him everyday, even whenever I momentarily awake at night, my thoughts are directly gravitated towards Jesus and I say please Jesus protect me and guide me.

Upvote 0