• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Religeous OCD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank1234

Apr 26, 2006
Winnetka, California
✟35,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Part of my religeous OCD has to do with praying routine things that we pray everyday(Protection, guidance, ...), instead of praying from the heart(which is based on relationship). Meaning that unless I pray for all of those routine prayers everyday, fear will not allow me to go on. I know that praying those "rittual prayers" are based on fear:(fear of: what would happen incase I don't pray for those things; Maybe an accident, or maybe not receiving the guidance from The Lord, etc...).
I have been trying to get rid of these fears, but it seems extremely difficult.
Anybody else has this type of religeous OCD to deal with? I could use your story. Thank you.

BeccaLynn

Jul 22, 2007
✟8,030.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Frank,

I can truly relate. I get so concerned that if I don't pray for the safety of my son, husband (those closest to me) and something bad happens, it's my fault. Then, when I do pray, it's not about relationship because I get caught up in everything/everyone I need to cover in the prayer and the fear that makes me feel so responsible to not leave anyone out. Then, it leaves me feeling like I don't want to pray at all, because that is such a huge responsiblity. Sometimes, I just have to step back and make my prayers simple, tell God that His word says that the Holy Spirit prays for us with groans that words cannot express, and He knows the mind of the Spirit because He prays in accordance to God's will for our lives. Sometimes I simply pray that the blood of Jesus will cover my son spiritually, physically, mentally and emotionally (which, in all honesty, the Blood of Jesus is more than enough). I often feel like I'm being lazy or insincere, but the thought of the labored praying without feeling it's ever enough, incomplete or resolved gets real old. I think we just have to remember that He is MORE THAN ENOUGH. Saying one thing from the heart (and I know, I can even struggle if it's really from my heart), is worth more than rambling on as if we can "make" God do what we ask due to our faithful quoted words. What works for me seems to be praying, not even for a designated amount of time like I used to try, by praising Him, reading a Psalm, and praying for those closest to me. I've even told God that there's so much to pray for, and it is such a huge responsiblity and weight, but I've got to remember that His yoke is light. He can handle it. He is in control, and that can be what is so scary because that leaves us "not in control". We like to control the outcome. We should actually be glad that He is in control, because we would actually make a huge mess of things. I myself have to just try and leave these with Him when I've prayed about them. Not saying that I don't pray about them again, but knowing He has heard me and loves me, as well as everyone I'm praying for. I do understand, but please take heart. God understands.

Rebecca

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.