• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Religeous OCD & Social Anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank1234

Apr 26, 2006
Winnetka, California
✟35,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was just curious If there is anybody who has religeous OCD and Social Anxiety Disorder together.It seems It is very difficult for people like that(Myself) to find some body suitable for them so they won't stay single. Any suggestions? GOD Bless.:wave:

OptimisticSmile

Mar 26, 2006
Pensacola, Florida
Visit site
✟15,552.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am both. I have a hard time seeing myself going through the process of dating and eventually marriage although I believe God has given me a desire for marriage and will lead me to somone special. I have recently opened my eyes to the one girl who is in my life and who I am comfortable (besides my family and pastor she is the only one Ive opened up to about the OCD I callled her one day freaking out and telling her to pray for me cause I felt so lost after I had previously talked to her about it) rather than thinking about the crush who I always try to avoid in public and am awkward around and who has not recipricated a desire for a freindship I am starting to believe that God has already given me someone special in my life and that one closed door means there is an open door elsewhere. the problem with this open door is that im not shure she truly understands the OCD and she has a testemony that makes it hard for her to doubt her salvaton being she left the occult for Christ and went from cursing the gospel to delighting in it wheras I grew up in church and proffessed Christ at age 6 and from childhood on up feared that I didnt truly accept him . she understands suffering though and so who knows.

i dont know about you but SA kept me from having freinds in high school but now its more of anxiety in crowds and with females and public speaking and such. the best way to overcome it is to challnge it by going to places that make you anxcious and learning to work through the anxiety much like learning to continue a christian walk despite the thoughts. Above all else trust in God to direct your (and a future spouses) path . As hard as it is try not to focus on the relationship you dont have and focus on the relationships you have and the oppertunities God has given you. He wants to use you and even though you may be socially anxious God can still use you if you are willing to trust him as he leads you out of your comfort zone.

a relationship with a female will not fix everything , a wife is a gift from the lord yes, but it is the result of Gods movement and will and it has little to do with our actions when you consider he is the one who joins two into being one flesh that means trusting in him will be the key to meeting someone who he has shaped into being someone who could understand you past the anxiety and OCD. If its Gods deire for you to be married and you submit to him there will be nothing you can do to mess it up. If you start to focus on yourself, wether selfish motives and desires or self doubt and your weaknesses then the path will not be straight because God promises that if we trust in him and lean not n our own understanding then he will make our paths straight. to look at our anxiety outside of the way God sees it is to look on our own understaning. when we doubt ourselves and are anxious its not so much doubting ourselves afterall but instead doubting that God will be exhibit power in our weaknesses. Moses said to God that he could not be of use because he was not a good speaker. Moses was doubting the ability of God to speak through him.

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
HI Frank,
I really struggled with social anxiety when I was younger. I remember when I went to high school reunion that someone walked up to me and said.. "so you really can talk...I never heard you speak before".
I still actually get red hives when I meet new people, or have to talk about myself or go to a Doctor etc. Pretty annoying - but I've just learned to live with it. I used to get nauseated if I had a date etc. But God still brought someone into my life and after quite a lot of anxiety when I'd be around him I eventually stopped feeling so anxious and he actually wanted to marry me!
(Guess he had a screw or two loose also.) We've been married for 31 years... so it is possible to find that someone. You just have to be willing to put up with all the anxiousness for a while but it gets better the more you are with them. I guess it's still exposure/response. You will get habituated to their presence and eventually your brain won't overeact to them with the anxiety response.
Blessings,
Mitzi

OP, so happy to hear that you have such a God centered relationship with your friend. That's such a blessing isn't it?

Mitzi

Upvote 0

OptimisticSmile

Mar 26, 2006
Pensacola, Florida
Visit site
✟15,552.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
yes it is and it is something ive prayed would happen. when I first met her she lived far away but had recentl;y been here. after praying about getting to meet her she moved back here . now my only fear is that she could leave at anytime because she has a tendency to move once she opens up to someone about herself and her past. she has her own weaknesses as well. we are both shy too.

Upvote 0

frank1234

Apr 26, 2006
Winnetka, California
✟35,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you OP;
I guess some times when you are in the long process, It's hard to see outside of it. Your comments where a good reminder for me to continue on trusting The LORD for every thing, including marriage. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's sooo right on OP and Frank!!!
I like the analogy CS Lewis used of a puppy who hasn't a clue why His Master is asking him to do things. The Master wants to take him for a walk in the field but he's too focused on the fencepost and he keeps running round and round it. The master pulls on the leash in an effort to get Him to come round the right way and yet he squirms all the more even yelping out in his panic. It is only when he learns to trust the master enough to respond to the tug on the leash without question that he begins to enjoy the benefits of the things that the master has been trying to teach him. He may never be able to comprehend the "whys" of the tug on the leash but he can comprehend that his master is to be trusted.
So it is with us and our Master. We may only see the fence post, but He sees the big picture. In this life we may not be able to comprehend the "why's" of what He is doing any more than the puppy understands that the leash is for his benefit. OCD (my fencepost) is teaching me that I don't need to know why... I just need to trust and follow the Master.
Blessings,
Mitzi

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.