Reincarnation and Christianity

C

cupid dave

Does anyone have any views they'd like to share on how Christianity and reincarnation might possibly be connected?

"For just as the Father raises the dead (the code for reconstruction resting in the human gene pool) and gives them life (again), even so, (Holy Conscience), the Son, (by means of the next mutation in our evolution: [Gen 9:11]), also gives life to whom He wishes. For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to (the Holy Conscience in their psyche), the Son, (and they, themselves, will know the judgement), so that all will honor the Son (who is Truth) even as they honor the Father (who is almighty Reality).
He who does not honor (the Holy Conscience within his psyche), the Son, does not honor (almighty reality), the Father (sanely imaged in his own mind: [Gen 1:26-7]) who sent Him." - John 5:21-23

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,933,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone have any views they'd like to share on how Christianity and reincarnation might possibly be connected?

IMHO, they're not, nor can they ever be.
"Man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment" Hebrews 9:27

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The judgement will determine resurrection or extinction willt not???

Isn't that the point of the scriptures?
Salvation and eternal life for our species?

Resurrection is different than reincarnation, which is what the OP is asking about.

Upvote 0
C

cupid dave

Resurrection is different than reincarnation, which is what the OP is asking about.

What is the difference?

The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon

Definition
  1. a raising up, rising (e.g. from a seat)
  2. a rising from the dead
    1. that of Christ
    2. that of all men at the end of this present age
    3. the resurrection of certain ones history who were restored to life (Heb. 11:
a rising up
rising from the dead

Strong's Number: 386Original WordWord Originajnavstasißfrom (450)Transliterated WordTDNT EntryAnastasis1:371,60Phonetic SpellingParts of Speechan-as'-tas-is Noun Feminine Definition
  1. a raising up, rising (e.g. from a seat)
  2. a rising from the dead
    1. that of Christ
    2. that of all men at the end of this present age
    3. the resurrection of certain ones history who were restored to life (Heb. 11:

Upvote 0
L

Light of Jehovah

I think that an interpretation of reincarnation in Christianity is as valid as any other Afterlife belief system in the Bible, from soul sleep to the Rapture, so as long as you can Biblically prove it.

We will never know for sure; in the house of the Father there are many mansions. Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, what Jehovah has ready for those who love Him! :)

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference?

First, reincarnation is not a Biblical concept. Resurrection is.

Second, by the definitions below, the main difference is that with reincarnation, one's soul comes back as a different body or form. Some religions say insects, animals, another human, etc. depending on what you did in your human life.

res·ur·rec·tion

   /ˌrɛz
thinsp.png
əˈrɛk
thinsp.png
ʃən/ Show Spelled[rez-uh-rek-shuh
thinsp.png
n] Show IPA
noun 1. the act of rising from the dead.

2. ( initial capital letter
thinsp.png
) the rising of Christ after His death and burial.

3. ( initial capital letter
thinsp.png
) the rising of the dead on Judgment Day.

4. the state of those risen from the dead.

5. a rising again, as from decay, disuse, etc.; revival.

re·in·car·na·tion

   /ˌri
thinsp.png
ɪn
thinsp.png
kɑrˈneɪ
thinsp.png
ʃən/ Show Spelled[ree-in-kahr-ney-shuh
thinsp.png
n] Show IPA
noun 1. the belief that the soul, upon death of the body, comes back to earth in another body or form.

2. rebirth of the soul in a new body.

3. a new incarnation or embodiment, as of a person.

Source: dictionary.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justagirl123

Jan 3, 2012
✟7,627.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks everyone, for you input. It's really helping me to clear some things up. Although I have to admit, I'm very comfortable with the idea of reincarnation, because it means everyone gets a chance to get to God. I'm just not so sure if I really believe it could work this way. I don't think there's any strong Biblical proof toward it, although I've read where the early church may have supported theories on reincarnation- I still have more research to do on that.
I'm still really struggling with the idea that God sends people to Hell for eternity. I certainly feel that there are plenty of metaphors in the Bible, and along with the fact that it has been interpreted and translated many different ways and times, as well as having been tweaked by the Catholic church. However, the Bible continues to resonate strongly with me. I'll never know for sure in this life, but it sure would make it easier if there were more answers.

Upvote 0

david14433

I am a seeker of truth and reality.
Jan 22, 2007
✟7,892.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I think all of your assumptions are correct justagirl123. I use to be in your same boat as a Christian, but through my research I have come to a much more universal way of seeing the bible and Jesus' teachings.

Here is a post I made on another thread here at Christian forums. If you like we can go into more detail about this.

I use to be ignorant about reincarnation as a young Christian until I grew up and found the truth. Jesus himself confirms that reincarnation is true. Reincarnation is like the missing link in Christianity. It explains a lot about Gods justice. And if you comprehend it, you will be liberated, and can move to a higher place spiritually.

If you want a very detailed presentation on this topic, check out. Fill in the [Dot] dots.
www [dot] near-death [dot] com/experiences/origen03 [dot] html

or

reluctant-messenger[dot]com/origen[dot]html

Jesus is very clear on this subject. There are many bible versus that confirm reincarnation. I will post some of them here.

For all the prophets and the law have prophesied until John. And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who was to come. (Matt. 11:13-14)

Here Jesus clearly says that Elijah reincarnated as John the baptist.
Here Jesus reiterates and confirms it again.

And the disciples asked him, saying, "Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?"

But he answered them and said, "Elijah indeed is to come and will restore all things. But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also shall the Son of Man suffer at their hand."

Then the disciples understood that he had spoken of John the Baptist." (Matt. 17:10-13)

Jesus very clearly says that John the baptist is the reincarnation of Elijah. Then the disciples affirm this at the end.

Again here is another clear statement by Jesus.

This is the one ... there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist ... And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. He who has ears, let him hear. (Matt. 11:11-15)

Skeptics of reincarnation like to pull this scripture saying that Elijah will come in the power of Elijah but not Elijah himself. Or they will say that John the baptist will have the some ministry as Elijah but he is not Elijah. But if you read the verse for what is actually says, you will see it. Notice the word "spirit".

[Angel speaking]
And he [John the Baptist] will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah. (Luke 1:17)

Obviously the if you see the word spirit, you will know that it can't just be the ministry of Elijah. The actual spirit of Elijah came to this earth as John the baptist.

Then the skeptics will point out this scripture and say that John the baptist denied being Elijah when asked. [Rebuttal latter.]

They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?"
He said, "I am not."
"Are you the Prophet?"
He answered, "No."
Finally they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?"

John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, "Make straight the way for the Lord.""

Now some Pharisees who had been sent questioned him, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"

"I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know. He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie." (John 1:21-27)

So here you can see Jesus saying multiple times and an angel once that John the baptist was in fact Elijah. You also have John the baptist denying hes the reincarnation of Elijah. The question is who do you believe. Do you believe Jesus and the angel or do you believe John the baptist that actually just admitted that Jesus was greater then him.

Now some of you might say we'll that was just something that happened with John the baptist and nobody else will be reincarnated. I say that you better believe that if Elijah the prophet was reincarnated that everyone you know will be including you. The reason way is because if someone who is as righteous as Elijah has to reincarnate you better believe that ones that aren't as righteous have to also reincarnate.

Given the above statements by Jesus, the angel, John the baptist, and me. You have to come to either one of the following conclusions.

A. John the baptist is the spirit of Elijah thus the reincarnation is true. If that is true then reincarnation must belong back in the Christian theology.

B. John is not Elijah reincarnated which means that both of these statements is true (1) and (2) :
1. Jesus and the angel are lying and the bible is fallible.
2. Jesus must not be the messiah.

Based on all the logic presented so far, only one of the following conclusions are true:
I. Reincarnation is a reality OR...
II. Jesus was not the Messiah OR...
III.
The bible is not reliable.

So as you can clearly see Jesus supports reincarnation. There is no way around it. This is one of the first steps in advancing spiritually.

Now this also brings us to the resurrection which is covered here.
They also talk about reincarnation in depth too. Fill in the [Dot] dots.

I have debated Christians on the forums here about reincarnation and Christianity, and none of seem have been able to rebuttal my view.

There are plenty of great books on this subject. Check them out at you local library if you can't afford them. One of them is.

Reincarnation: The Missing Link In Christianity

by Elizabeth Clare Prophet

Also

Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation

That is a very technical read but it's the best scientific evidence we have for reincarnation.

If you are to comprehend reincarnation as a Christian you will have to do your homework just like me.

Thanks for reading.

Peace!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

cupid dave

I think all of your assumptions are correct justagirl123. I use to be in your same boat as a Christian, but through my research I have come to a much more universal way of seeing the bible and Jesus' teachings.

Here is a post I made on another thread here at Christian forums. If you like we can go into more detail about this.

I use to be ignorant about reincarnation as a young Christian until I grew up and found the truth. Jesus himself confirms that reincarnation is true. Reincarnation is like the missing link in Christianity. It explains a lot about Gods justice. And if you comprehend it, you will be liberated, and can move to a higher place spiritually.

If you want a very detailed presentation on this topic, check out. Fill in the [Dot] dots.

or

reluctant-messenger[dot]com/origen[dot]html

Jesus is very clear on this subject. There are many bible versus that confirm reincarnation. I will post some of them here.

For all the prophets and the law have prophesied until John. And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who was to come. (Matt. 11:13-14)

Here Jesus clearly says that Elijah reincarnated as John the baptist.
Here Jesus reiterates and confirms it again.

And the disciples asked him, saying, "Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?"

But he answered them and said, "Elijah indeed is to come and will restore all things. But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also shall the Son of Man suffer at their hand."

Then the disciples understood that he had spoken of John the Baptist." (Matt. 17:10-13)

Jesus very clearly says that John the baptist is the reincarnation of Elijah. Then the disciples affirm this at the end.

Again here is another clear statement by Jesus.

This is the one ... there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist ... And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. He who has ears, let him hear. (Matt. 11:11-15)

Skeptics of reincarnation like to pull this scripture saying that Elijah will come in the power of Elijah but not Elijah himself. Or they will say that John the baptist will have the some ministry as Elijah but he is not Elijah. But if you read the verse for what is actually says, you will see it. Notice the word "spirit".

[Angel speaking]
And he [John the Baptist] will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah. (Luke 1:17)

Obviously the if you see the word spirit, you will know that it can't just be the ministry of Elijah. The actual spirit of Elijah came to this earth as John the baptist.

Then the skeptics will point out this scripture and say that John the baptist denied being Elijah when asked. [Rebuttal latter.]

They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?"
He said, "I am not."
"Are you the Prophet?"
He answered, "No."
Finally they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?"

John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, "Make straight the way for the Lord.""

Now some Pharisees who had been sent questioned him, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"

"I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know. He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie." (John 1:21-27)

So here you can see Jesus saying multiple times and an angel once that John the baptist was in fact Elijah. You also have John the baptist denying hes the reincarnation of Elijah. The question is who do you believe. Do you believe Jesus and the angel or do you believe John the baptist that actually just admitted that Jesus was greater then him.

Now some of you might say we'll that was just something that happened with John the baptist and nobody else will be reincarnated. I say that you better believe that if Elijah the prophet was reincarnated that everyone you know will be including you. The reason way is because if someone who is as righteous as Elijah has to reincarnate you better believe that ones that aren't as righteous have to also reincarnate.

Given the above statements by Jesus, the angel, John the baptist, and me. You have to come to either one of the following conclusions.

A. John the baptist is the spirit of Elijah thus the reincarnation is true. If that is true then reincarnation must belong back in the Christian theology.

B. John is not Elijah reincarnated which means that both of these statements is true (1) and (2) :
1. Jesus and the angel are lying and the bible is fallible.
2. Jesus must not be the messiah.

Based on all the logic presented so far, only one of the following conclusions are true:
I. Reincarnation is a reality OR...
II. Jesus was not the Messiah OR...
III. The bible is not reliable.

So as you can clearly see Jesus supports reincarnation. There is no way around it. This is one of the first steps in advancing spiritually.

Now this also brings us to the resurrection which is covered here. They also talk about reincarnation in depth too. Fill in the [Dot] dots.

I have debated Christians on the forums here about reincarnation and Christianity, and none of seem have been able to rebuttal my view.

There are plenty of great books on this subject. Check them out at you local library if you can't afford them. One of them is.

Reincarnation: The Missing Link In Christianity
by Elizabeth Clare Prophet

Also

Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation

That is a very technical read but it's the best scientific evidence we have for reincarnation.

If you are to comprehend reincarnation as a Christian you will have to do your homework just like me.

Thanks for reading.

Peace!

I agree with the p;art of yopur atatement that Elijah returning in 32AD supports reincarnation and does not deny a resurrection of someone who ahd died 800 years prior.

I disagree that John was the Elijah because he did no miracles like Elijah and he made no prophecies.

It seems clear that Jesus was the Elijah who was to return, the son of God that came down from heaven as a dove:

13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven (as we read about in 32AD), but he, (The Elijah), that came down (after 800 years) from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Upvote 0

david14433

Jan 22, 2007
✟7,892.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the p;art of yopur atatement that Elijah returning in 32AD supports reincarnation and does not deny a resurrection of someone who ahd died 800 years prior.

I disagree that John was the Elijah because he did no miracles like Elijah and he made no prophecies.

It seems clear that Jesus was the Elijah who was to return, the son of God that came down from heaven as a dove:

13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven (as we read about in 32AD), but he, (The Elijah), that came down (after 800 years) from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
Only thing is there is many more scripture that support that John the baptist was Elijah.

Also who is to say that John the baptist didn't do any miracles. The miracles may have not made it into the bible. Or what is to say that he would have to do any miracles. Abraham, Isac, Jacob, and Joseph didn't do any miracles per say I think.

But you do believe in reincarnation in general though, right?

Peace!

Upvote 0
C

cupid dave

Only thing is there is many more scripture that support that John the baptist was Elijah.Peace!

Give me one!

John SPECIFICAL says he is NOT elijah, not even a prophet....

Jesus returned after the transfiguring metamorphosis on the mountain returned Elijah to join with Moses.

Jesus tells a crowd that if,...

If that crowd insisted he was the messiah that would fight the Romans for them, and John was his Elijah, then so be it.
But he added that John was the least in heaven.

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2011
The Corn Desert
✟8,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One's view on reincarnation must be accompanied by a view of the origination and propagation of souls. Anybody wanna broach that topic?

Where did/do souls originate? And how are they propagated? How are humans ensouled? How does any of that make it possible or impossible for the re-ensoulment of reincarnation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

david14433

Jan 22, 2007
✟7,892.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
david14433 "Only thing is there is many more scripture that support that John the baptist was Elijah."

Give me one!

How about I give you more than one. Will that help?

And again.

And again.

And again.

[Angel speaking]

OT prophesies for Elijah coming as John the baptist.

Malachi 3:1 “Behold, I am going to send My messenger, and he will clear the way before Me. And the Lord, whom you seek, will suddenly come to His temple; and the messenger of the covenant, in whom you delight, behold, He is coming,” says the LORD of hosts.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Who is that messenger look and see.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]MALACHI 4:5 “Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD. [/FONT]6[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] He will restore the hearts of the fathers to [/FONT]their[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] children and the hearts of the children to their fathers, so that I will not come and smite the land with a curse.” [/FONT]

John SPECIFICAL says he is NOT elijah, not even a prophet....

OK so John does not know that he was Elijah the prophet, just like most of us don't remember our past incarnations. But lets look at the facts.

John says he's not Elijah once.

Jesus says John is Elijah multiple times.

And finally and angel also say John is Elijah.

So who do you believe. Do you believe John, or Jesus and the angel. The choice is clear to me.

Jesus returned after the transfiguring metamorphosis on the mountain returned Elijah to join with Moses.

You must remember that the disciples saw Elijah at the transfiguration after John the baptist died.

Jesus tells a crowd that if,...

If that crowd insisted he was the messiah that would fight the Romans for them, and John was his Elijah, then so be it.
But he added that John was the least in heaven.

Give me a quote for that.

Peace!

Upvote 0

david14433

Jan 22, 2007
✟7,892.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Originally Posted by david14433 "How about I give you more than one. Will that help?"
If only.

He rejects all these scripture or explains them away by taking them out of context.

One thing at a time. If we want to have a constructive debate you need to address what is present. So can you rebuttal the scriptures I did give?

Peace!

Upvote 0