Reconciling Adam and Eve with Evolution

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

This is a simple statement of what God did. There really is no time stamp on this verse. HAD formed as many translations present it...seem to do a very good job of identifying a time stamp. No need to mess with it.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is a simple statement of what God did. There really is no time stamp on this verse. HAD formed as many translations present it...seem to do a very good job of identifying a time stamp. No need to mess with it.

Again, he is forming animals after forming Adam. It is not a reference to animals created in Gen 1. Verse 2:18 makes that clear since Adam was alone and God said he was going to create a helpmeet, and after creating animals there was no helpmeet found so God makes Eve. Your personal interpretation does not match the text.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Again, he is formed animals after forming Adam. It is not a reference to animals created in Gen 1. Verse 2:18 makes that clear.
Gen 2 doesn't say that. All that it mentions is God frormed the animals..it says not when. When we perform proper hermenuitics on the issue we see in chapter 1 when God formed the animals....before Adam. This means HAD formed is a better translation.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd rather stick with the bible than your edit.

lol, nice retort if that's what that was supposed to be. The bible makes it clear your interpretation is wrong because it clearly says Adam was ALONE and God was going to start creating as opposed to your view that he brought forth already created animals. We must pay attention to all details and info in the text not skip over them in favor of our personal interpretations.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Again, he is forming animals after forming Adam. It is not a reference to animals created in Gen 1. Verse 2:18 makes that clear since Adam was alone and God said he was going to create a helpmeet, and after creating animals there was no helpmeet found so God makes Eve. Your personal interpretation does not match the text.

Amen. Adam was formed on the 3rd Day BEFORE the plants, herbs and trees Gen 2:4-7 which GREW on the 3rd Day. Gen 1:12 AFTER Adam was made, he was alone at the beginning of the 6th Day and Jesus (Lord God) made the creatures from the ground and brought them to Adam who named them. Gen 2:19

The living creatures which were created and brought forth from water on the 5th Day were NOT made by Lord God (Jesus) but by God (Elohim-Trinity). Jesus is the creator of Adam (mankind) but we MUST be born again Spiritually, by Elohim/Trinity in order to inherit the kingdom of God. Jhn 3:3 That's God's Literal Truth. Amen?

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
After a great deal of contemplation regarding the relationship of the science of evolutionary biology and population genetics with sacred scripture, and specifically the universal descent of man from Adam and Eve, I've formulated a "theory" of how these may relate. It is essentially a Covenantal Theory of Adam and Eve. I admit it is mere speculation, but I think it effectively bridges the apparent gap between evolutionary biology/genetics and sacred scripture.

1. Throughout biblical history, God deals with man by way of successive covenants.
2. God entered into covenant relationship with Adam and Eve.
3. Population genetics reveals to a high degree of probability that the population of homo sapien sapiens has not at any time dropped below aproximately two thousand individuals.
4. The bible clearly affirms the historicity of two individual humans from whom originate all modern humans.
5. Essential Christian doctrines, such as the universality of human fallenness, necessitate the historicity of this aforementioned original pair.

So what are we to make of these five points? I would argue that the answer is to be found by way of covenant.

The basics of the theory are as follows.

1. All life on earth, including human biology, has evolved by the decree and creative guiding providence of God as per the theory of evolutionary creationism.
2. As described by population genetics, there was in fact an original population pool of anatomically modern homo sapien sapiens likely to exceed two thousand individuals.
3. These "humans" though anatomically modern, were not in fact originally ensouled.
4. God in his providence elected two homo sapien sapiens, male and female, to be heirs of a divine covenant of works.
5. God sealed this covenant by way of the mystery of ensoulment, wherein he, in supernatural power, bestowed a soul upon this covenantal pair, thereby enabling the spiritual bond and freedom of will necessary to the relational essence of the covenant.
6. All modern humans are the genetic progency of this original covenantal pair, and are thereby heirs of this original covenant, whereby we inherit ensoulment, moral responsibility, as well as fallenness consequent the original violation of the covenant.

So basically, human anatomy evolved like all other life does. Yet all modern humans are descended from two elect homo-sapiens with whom God entered into a covenant, which he sealed by means of ensoulment. So Adam and Eve were two real individuals, from whom we all descend, AND we can embrace the scientific record of human evolution.
To me it makes more sense to consider that Adam & Eve incarnate on a populated, evolved earth that had already fallen. The beast was already working against Gods will. Death is normal, this isn't our permanent home. It was Adam and Eve specifically that lost their immortality status, not man.

It would be later generations of men who speculated about death as a penalty, an abnormal condition and sun as somehow inheritable rather than a conscious choice.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
To me it makes more sense to consider that Adam & Eve incarnate on a populated, evolved earth that had already fallen. The beast was already working against Gods will. Death is normal, this isn't our permanent home.

You are right here but you contradict this next:

It was Adam and Eve specifically that lost their immortality status, not man.

Adam and Eve were never immortal. They were "man" just as any of us are and as you said, "Death is normal". It was normal for Adam and Eve to grow old and die too. That was always the plan for mortal beings.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Adam and Eve were never immortal. They were "man" just as any of us are and as you said, "Death is normal". It was normal for Adam and Eve to grow old and die too. That was always the plan for mortal beings.
But it says they became like one of us, it also said they could no longer eat from the tree of life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist

Jesus made Adam in a perfect body on the 3rd Day. Gen 2:4-7 Adam lived with Jesus until the present 6th Day which means that Adam lived to be some 14 Billion years old BEFORE Eve was made Gen 2:22 and thus BEFORE Adam sinned. After Adam sinned, he found himself and Eve in a body of flesh and no longer surrounded by a Shekinah Glory, like that of Jesus. Gen 3:7

Adam and Eve were BOTH created in God's Image, which is to be born again Spiritually in Christ, Gen 5:1-2 since He is the Image of the invisible God. Col 1:15 They will regain their perfect bodies at the Rapture, just before the people living at the time get theirs, 1Co 15:53 thanks to Jesus. Amen?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But it says they became like one of us,

You aren't quoting all of it:

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

That's the only way they became like God and the angels.

it also said they could no longer eat from the tree of life.

They never ate from it because eating from it made one immortal which means death wouldn't have been possible. When they were kicked out of the garden, the way to the tree of life was blocked and guarded so they couldn't become immortal.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

They never ate from it because eating from it made one immortal which means death wouldn't have been possible. When they were kicked out of the garden, the way to the tree of life was blocked and guarded so they couldn't become immortal.

The fragmented story used to write Genesis leaves a bit to be desired but I see it the other way around. Adam and Eve had initially been immortal, they could use the tree. But once they diverged from Gods plan of rehabilitation for the fallen earth then they to became like man.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist

Amen. Humankind would be living in sin and death FOREVER with no way back to the perfect God. Jesus made the way back with His sacrifice for Humankind's sins and God accepted His death, burial and resurrection the third day as the only way sinful man could be accepted in His perfect Heaven. Only the born again Spiirtually will be there to eat from the Tree of Life which TODAY is in the 3rd Heaven. Rev 2:7 Amen?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The fragmented story used to write Genesis leaves a bit to be desired but I see it the other way around. Adam and Eve had initially been immortal, they could use the tree.

While they had permission to eat from it, we cannot say they did. I see it as a classic choice between right and wrong, the good tree or the bad and they chose the bad one.

Also, Paul speaks of Adam as being mortal so Adam was created mortal, was mortal his entire life and died because he was mortal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
While they had permission to eat from it, we cannot say they did. I see it as a classic choice between right and wrong, the good tree or the bad and they chose the bad one.

Also, Paul speaks of Adam as being mortal so Adam was created mortal, was mortal his entire life and died because he was mortal.
Did it ever occur to you that when Adam and Eve sinned, they did so in the right way, upward to greater knowledge? You know, the early Christian gnostics thought so, and I am not sure but what they aren't correct.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Did it ever occur to you that when Adam and Eve sinned, they did so in the right way, upward to greater knowledge?

It wasn't the right way because it went against God and God punished them but they did receive "insight" from having their eyes opened but it was negative.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't the right way because it went against God and God punished them but they did receive "insight" from having their eyes opened but it was negative.
Hmmm. Well, see, I am not so sure. They lost their innocence, true. But that is the price to be paid for being bold enough to leave the comforts of home and step out into the real world and swim with the sharks.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm. Well, see, I am not so sure. They lost their innocence, true. But that is the price to be paid for being bold enough to leave the comforts of home and step out into the real world and swim with the sharks.

They did not benefit from what happened. Everything that happened to them was bad for them.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
They did not benefit from what happened. Everything that happened to them was bad for them.
Hmmm. Are you sure? Are you really sure? Lots of bad things happen to everyone when they go out into the big, bad world and try and swim with the sharks and find you sometimes have to make deals with the Devil.

Upvote 0