The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. I read verses in the Bible like "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind". If I'm being honest with myself (and I know God knows my heart); my love is not this strong - I would probably describe it as feeble. I acknowledge what Jesus dying on the cross means for us and I am appreciative, but I feel like my love and appreciation is inadequate. Perhaps my heart has been hardened after many years of sin. Is my situation normal? How can I learn to love and appreciate God/Jesus more?

Your situation is normal. If your heart was hardened, you wouldn't be here asking these questions and having this struggle.

2. The Bible implies that we should fear God e.g. "the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him" and "fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell". My mind goes through all sorts of 'what-if' scenarios e.g. what if my heart is so hardened that I'm unacceptable to God, what if I've committed some unforgivable sin... perhaps it's the Devil bullying me to feel despair - I don't know, but I do get moments of worry/fear/anxiety... Is this normal? How do I overcome this?

It's normal to experience those things in your situation. The Devil is bullying you and accusing you and scaring you and discouraging you. The way to overcome this is though prayer and resisting the Devil. The Bible says if you resist the Devil, he will flee from you. Resist his tricks and temptations. But mainly reach out to your Father in prayer. Jesus says to literally pester Him in prayer over your needs.

3. I'm genuinely trying to live a more Godly life as one of God's children. When it comes to things like charity; one of the things I've been doing more of is giving money to the occasional homeless person I see. I do feel sorry for these people, but I ask myself; am I doing this out of genuine love and compassion for my fellow human being, or to win the approval of God... I do have empathy and compassion, but I'd definitely say the latter is a factor. Does this make me a bad person, or is it OK for God to be the reason for charity.

I would say to please God, rather than to win His approval. We're all bad people, that's why we need Jesus. You're not alone in this struggle either.

4. In Matthew there is the The Parable of the Talents. In this parable 'talents' refers to a sum of money, but it could also be interpreted as actual gifts/talents given to us by God e.g. good at public speaking, gifted at basketball etc. In some ways I think I'm gifted - probably not in the looks departments, but as a real example; I'm probably slightly above average in intelligence (sincerely not trying to brag). What would God be expecting with the talents He's given me? I've worked very hard at the things I'm good at to be successful both individually, as well as for the benefit of other people and/or groups. Is God just expecting us to make use of our talents in the world, or is He expecting something else e.g. good works for God, bringing/encouraging other people to God's family, etc.

Simply put what you have to use, don't be a spiritual couch potato. The Holy Spirit will guide you. Give things time too. Stick with the program, but pace yourself. As you continue the more things will fall into place.

5. What does discipleship mean? Are we expected to sell our property and give away all our possessions? IMO this would have been hard in Jesus` day, but would be even harder today... for me; I've got a career, wife, kids, etc. I'm probably considered wealthy in the sense that I have a good paying job, I live in a clean modern city in a first world country, etc; but I'm definitely not in the 1% - I have a mortgage and have to work to pay this and other bills like most other people, so that me and my family can get by. God is now my number #1 priority, and if he called me to do something I'd do it, but what is the expectation...

Pretty much every Christian you'll meet has an ordinary life with a job, home, car, possessions etc. Some are called to leave things behind and become overseas missionaries. But most aren't. What matters is God being more valuable to you than stuff. I've found the older I get the easier this gets.

6. Sometimes I feel like I need guidance from the Holy Spirit. I was baptized as an infant, so I can't remember this occasion. I've never really experienced a moment of overwhelming love/joy, or any spiritual encounter. I've read about some of these testimonials (and there's many documented in the Bible e.g. in Acts) and I truly believe they do occur, but just not for me (so far). I don't expect this to happen to me, but is this type of thing something that most Christians get to experience?

Give it time. Things like that will unfold as they should. It's not something you can make happen. All of us feel like we don't love God enough, love others enough, don't feel spiritual enough. There's Christians I know that I want to be like. They seems so much more spiritual and seem to have so much more assurance than I do. But I've learned they have their struggles too.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey! Welcome to the forum!
I read verses in the Bible like "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind". If I'm being honest with myself (and I know God knows my heart); my love is not this strong - I would probably describe it as feeble. I acknowledge what Jesus dying on the cross means for us and I am appreciative, but I feel like my love and appreciation is inadequate. Perhaps my heart has been hardened after many years of sin. Is my situation normal? How can I learn to love and appreciate God/Jesus more?
I always tell people to camp on the cross. The more revelation you receive about why Jesus had die and how valuable you are to Him, not because He needs you, but because He truly loves you, the more your love and admiration will grow for Him. When I came to God, I thought He loved me for what I could give Him, but then He taught me He truly loves me for who I am as an individual. He had to slow me down to show me. Because of His revelation for His love for His kids, I can now genuinely express my love to Him. The Bible says we love Him because He loved us first. 1 John 4:19

The Bible implies that we should fear God e.g. "the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him" and "fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell". My mind goes through all sorts of 'what-if' scenarios e.g. what if my heart is so hardened that I'm unacceptable to God, what if I've committed some unforgivable sin... perhaps it's the Devil bullying me to feel despair - I don't know, but I do get moments of worry/fear/anxiety... Is this normal? How do I overcome this?
Fear of the Lord means respect. Slaves fear, sons and daughters respect their Father. There’s a difference. A Christian is no longer a slave (not as the world defines a slave). A christian becomes a son/daughter who is in a process of learning their identity in Christ.

I'm genuinely trying to live a more Godly life as one of God's children. When it comes to things like charity; one of the things I've been doing more of is giving money to the occasional homeless person I see. I do feel sorry for these people, but I ask myself; am I doing this out of genuine love and compassion for my fellow human being, or to win the approval of God... I do have empathy and compassion, but I'd definitely say the latter is a factor. Does this make me a bad person, or is it OK for God to be the reason for charity.
It’s a constant war between the flesh and the spirit. The best thing you can do is be honest with God about it. I used to hold my feelings and I used to pray and do what I thought He wanted me to pray and do. I used to try to live righteously on what I thought was right, and even though it takes our will, it’s important to be honest with Him. So, one day I was praying my usual soulish prayer, but then I heard the Lord whispered, “I heard you, but what do you really want?” As in, what was really in my heart. That day I understood He knows me (my intentions, my heart, my personality) and I don’t need to hide it from Him. So, yeah help others, but ask Him to change your heart and always remember we do things because we are grateful, not out of obligation.

In Matthew there is the The Parable of the Talents. In this parable 'talents' refers to a sum of money, but it could also be interpreted as actual gifts/talents given to us by God e.g. good at public speaking, gifted at basketball etc. In some ways I think I'm gifted - probably not in the looks departments, but as a real example; I'm probably slightly above average in intelligence (sincerely not trying to brag). What would God be expecting with the talents He's given me? I've worked very hard at the things I'm good at to be successful both individually, as well as for the benefit of other people and/or groups. Is God just expecting us to make use of our talents in the world, or is He expecting something else e.g. good works for God, bringing/encouraging other people to God's family, etc.
Since you are starting back I suggest you take it slow and keep learning. God has a way to position people where they are needed. You make sure you enter the canoe, but let the river (Spirit) be the one who leads.

What does discipleship mean? Are we expected to sell our property and give away all our possessions? IMO this would have been hard in Jesus` day, but would be even harder today... for me; I've got a career, wife, kids, etc. I'm probably considered wealthy in the sense that I have a good paying job, I live in a clean modern city in a first world country, etc; but I'm definitely not in the 1% - I have a mortgage and have to work to pay this and other bills like most other people, so that me and my family can get by. God is now my number #1 priority, and if he called me to do something I'd do it, but what is the expectation...
Again, He will lead the way. One of the first things I did was ask if theres anything I should get rid of. He showed me I needed to throw away many horror movies I had. I just pay attention to the Spirit. You start to discern and learn His own unique language with you. You can always ask Him for discernment.

Sometimes I feel like I need guidance from the Holy Spirit. I was baptized as an infant, so I can't remember this occasion. I've never really experienced a moment of overwhelming love/joy, or any spiritual encounter. I've read about some of these testimonials (and there's many documented in the Bible e.g. in Acts) and I truly believe they do occur, but just not for me (so far). I don't expect this to happen to me, but is this type of thing something that most Christians get to experience?
We all have different gifts and the Lord works in seasons. Sometimes you might sense Him more, other times you might feel dry, but everyday is an invitation to talk to Him. Ask Him for your gifts and to teach you to hear Him. He speaks in many ways; images, impressions, dreams, vision, nature. You can always ask Him to amaze you, for encounters, for His voice. He’s your Father, He wants to have communion with you.

I always recommend listening to Foundations of Freedom by Bob Hamp. He has 5 videos. They help me a lot to understand who we are, who God is, what happened and how we try to change, but how the only thing we can do is surrender to the Spirit. He also teaches on hearing God. He used to work for Gateway Church but he has a private practice now. He founded the Freedom department at Gateway. I don’t agree much with that church, but I do trust Bob Hamp and I once called him “Wisdom walking on earth” in a dream, so you might want to check it out. He also offers a lot of free classes.

i hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone.

This is my first post, so be kind :)

Greetings to you Ryan in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
I hope you are doing well in the Lord today.

You said:
Just a bit of background about me; I was raised as a Christian in a small town. I've always believed in God from a young age, but got drawn away by worldly pursuits (e.g. sport, friends, partying, work, marriage, kids, etc) from my mid-late teens all the way through to me now at 39 years of age.

I was raised in a liberal Christian home, and I even went through an atheist phase as a kid, but God had other plans for me. I first got saved back in 1992 by reading a comic tract called,

This Was Your Life.”

full

Chick.com: This Was Your Life

You said:
I guess you could say my story (at least from a spiritual perspective) is a bit like the story of the prodigal son.

I reached a bit of a turning point recently (about 6 weeks ago) - nothing health related or anything like that... I guess it was a bit of a light-bulb moment where I started to appreciate the real purpose of our time here on earth, as well as the insignificant time frame of our physical existence compared to our eternal spiritual existence.

I like to think it was God drawing me back to Him, but who knows...

In my life I've sinned a LOT - inappropriate content/masturbation, pride, hate for others, racist thoughts, lust, impatience, disacknowledgement of God in front of others due to fear of ridicule, etc. I've now repented of my sins many times over and sincerely asked for Jesus to come into my life. Almost miraculously a lot of the sin has gone e.g. no more inappropriate content/masturbation, my hate has subdued, etc. Obviously there's temptation to return to some of these things, but so far (with the help of God) I've been able to resist. I do still sin and I'm far from perfect, but my sins are now less frequent and less significant (that is, if there's a scale to sin e.g. my sins now include occasional moments of grumpiness, accidentally swearing as it's hard to break old habits).

One of several things that I'm doing to help bring me closer to God is that I'm reading the Bible (which I've never done before). Starting in the New Testament, I've read Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, & Acts in the last few weeks alone. I'm doing research as I go, but I've still got quite a few questions I'm hoping for some help with, so here goes...

I also at one point went prodigal into a life of sin and worldliness (even though I never denied Jesus as my Savior). I rededicated my life to following Christ in approximately 2010.

You said:
1. I read verses in the Bible like "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind". If I'm being honest with myself (and I know God knows my heart); my love is not this strong - I would probably describe it as feeble. I acknowledge what Jesus dying on the cross means for us and I am appreciative, but I feel like my love and appreciation is inadequate. Perhaps my heart has been hardened after many years of sin. Is my situation normal? How can I learn to love and appreciate God/Jesus more?

Obeying the first greatest commandment takes a lot of work and effort and I think it involves a maturing process in Christ for most Christians (Although I am sure with God nothing is impossible to making that happen right away). But I believe in most cases, that obeying the first greatest command is a process over time; We will start to put away things of this world if our love for Christ is stronger than the things of this world. We will focus more on Christ and His love than the things of this world. It's like exercising. We need to strengthen those muscles of loving God with every fiber of our being. The more we obey God's Word, the more we will be loving the Lord with everything we are.

The full version of the 1st greatest commandment is found in Mark 12:29-30 (Which is considered the least of the 4 gospels, meaning “humble”).

Here is the passage for the FULL version of the 1st greatest commandment.

“Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.” (Mark 12:29-30).

This is a five part instruction for the 1st greatest commandment. It is one command, but it has a five part way we can obey it.

Part #1. Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord,
Part #2. Love the Lord your God with all your heart,
Part #3. Love the Lord your God with all your soul,
Part #4. Love the Lord your God with all your mind,
Part #5. Love the Lord your God with all your strength.​

For example: For my #5: Loving God with all your strength, I see as asking God to give you HIS strength by the working of His power within you to obey His commands and to meditate on them day and night. For without God, we can do nothing (John 15:5). For Scripture says God is our strength. (Exodus 15:2) (Isaiah 12:2) (Isaiah 40:29) (1 Peter 5:10) (Psalms 73:26) (Philippians 4:13).

As for the meaning behind the other parts in loving God:

#1. Make God the only one in your life by putting away any idols or things that get in the way of our loving the Lord (1 Corinthians 8:4-6).
#2. Love God with your heart by keeping His commands (John 14:15).
#3. Love God with your soul by offering your body as a willing sacrifice today (Romans 12:1).
#4. Love God with your mind by focusing on His words; 2 Timothy 2:15 in the King James Bible says, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”​

What is interesting is that Deuteronomy 6, and Deuteronomy 10 does not mention Part #4 that says to love the Lord your God with all your mind. So this was an added improvement by our Lord in Mark 12:29-30.

You said:
2. The Bible implies that we should fear God e.g. "the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him" and "fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell". My mind goes through all sorts of 'what-if' scenarios e.g. what if my heart is so hardened that I'm unacceptable to God, what if I've committed some unforgivable sin... perhaps it's the Devil bullying me to feel despair - I don't know, but I do get moments of worry/fear/anxiety... Is this normal? How do I overcome this?

Beware of the sin and still be saved group of Christians out there. They are many. They will say that you are forgiven of all your future sin even without you confessing and forsaking sin. This is a dangerous belief. Eve was deceived by the devil that she could break God's command and not die. This was a spiritual death. How so? Well, in Genesis 2:17, God basically told Adam to not eat of the wrong tree otherwise he would die in the day that he did eat of it. But when Adam ate of the wrong tree, he did not drop dead on the spot physically. So the logical conclusion is that Adam died spiritually that day he ate of the wrong tree and he need to be reconciled back to God.

The best thing to do to overcome anxiety over our state with God and our salvation in Him is to ask the Lord immediately for forgiveness of any sin standing between us and Him. For if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). That is a promise you can bank on. Also, ask God to reveal by His Spirit any sin that may be standing between you and Him.

The unforgivable sin is not as popular Christianity teaches. They say it is a rejection of Jesus in this life or something similar to that effect. They say this because they do not think any sin can separate you from God. They believe they can sin on some level and still be saved. George Sodini, and Kenneth Nally are sad examples of this kind of belief. See this article here.

The Bible itself defines what the unforgivable sin is.

31 “Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.”​

Blasphemy of the Holy Ghost is speaking a word against the Holy Ghost because it is related to speaking a word against the Son of man. Speaking bad words against Jesus is forgivable for a believer. But it is not forgivable for a believer (who has been transformed by the Spirit) to speak bad words against the Holy Spirit. The Pharisees were in danger of committing this sin because they were unbelievers. Only a believer can be condemned by this sin because they would not be committing this sin in ignorance. For Jesus told the Jews to make the tree good and the fruit good. This would not be possible if they were condemned by the committing the unforgivable sin. So pray so as to guard your heart against this one. After I rededicated my life to Christ, and I really started to study the Bible, I would not even discuss this topic or issue because I felt like I had to grow stronger in the Lord in order to discuss it.

You said:
3. I'm genuinely trying to live a more Godly life as one of God's children. When it comes to things like charity; one of the things I've been doing more of is giving money to the occasional homeless person I see. I do feel sorry for these people, but I ask myself; am I doing this out of genuine love and compassion for my fellow human being, or to win the approval of God... I do have empathy and compassion, but I'd definitely say the latter is a factor. Does this make me a bad person, or is it OK for God to be the reason for charity.

Actually, Matthew 25:31-46, and Luke 10:25-37 shows that loving your neighbor (i.e. helping the poor or the poor beat up man on the side of the road) is a part of inheriting eternal life. So no. It is not wrong to help the poor with the motivation that you are seeking God's approval. Many in Christianity today will say it is wrong to have this kind of thinking. They believe that all you have to do is trust in the finished work of Christ and you can sin and still be saved on some level. They take 1 John 1:8 as an excuse to sin when that is not what it saying (See: 1 John 2:3-4, and 1 John 1:5-7). They take Romans 7:14-24 as an excuse to sin when that is not what it is saying (See: Romans 6:1-2, Romans 8:1-4, Romans 8:13, Romans 13:14, and 2 Corinthians 7:1).

You said:
4. In Matthew there is the The Parable of the Talents. In this parable 'talents' refers to a sum of money, but it could also be interpreted as actual gifts/talents given to us by God e.g. good at public speaking, gifted at basketball etc. In some ways I think I'm gifted - probably not in the looks departments, but as a real example; I'm probably slightly above average in intelligence (sincerely not trying to brag). What would God be expecting with the talents He's given me? I've worked very hard at the things I'm good at to be successful both individually, as well as for the benefit of other people and/or groups. Is God just expecting us to make use of our talents in the world, or is He expecting something else e.g. good works for God, bringing/encouraging other people to God's family, etc.

I think it is a combination of both our talents and our good works because our talents can lead to good works. Side Note: I have recently been doing a study on the Parable of the Talents recently. Most Christians today fail to understand two things from this parable.

#1. Many believers today mock the idea that no believer can do enough works to satisfy God (after they are saved by God's grace). Yet, we learn in this parable that the servant who was faithful over a few things was told to enter the joy of His Lord (Matthew 25:21).

#2. The unprofitable servant was cast into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 25:30) (Note: Gnashing of teeth is what wolves do). Anyways, the point I wanted to make here is that the idea that we are saved by a Belief Alone in Jesus and we do not have to raise a finger for God to be a part of His kingdom is false according to this parable because the unprofitable servant did not make it into God's kingdom.

You said:
5. What does discipleship mean? Are we expected to sell our property and give away all our possessions? IMO this would have been hard in Jesus` day, but would be even harder today... for me; I've got a career, wife, kids, etc. I'm probably considered wealthy in the sense that I have a good paying job, I live in a clean modern city in a first world country, etc; but I'm definitely not in the 1% - I have a mortgage and have to work to pay this and other bills like most other people, so that me and my family can get by. God is now my number #1 priority, and if he called me to do something I'd do it, but what is the expectation...

In Luke 19:1-10: We learn that Zacchaeus was only willing to give away half of his goods to the poor; and if had taken anything from any man by false accusation, he would restore to them fourfold the amount; And yet Jesus said unto Zacchaeus that salvation came unto his house that day. Jesus did not reject His offer and tell him to sell everything. The key is what is our focus? Our we focused more on worldly things or God? Are we using our resources and material things for the Lord in some way? We can use our home as a place to have fellowship for other believers. We can use our car to drive around and find those who are in need of food and give to them. There is much we can use for God's kingdom. But the problem is in chasing after riches instead of chasing after godliness (See: 1 Timothy 6).

You said:
6. Sometimes I feel like I need guidance from the Holy Spirit. I was baptized as an infant, so I can't remember this occasion. I've never really experienced a moment of overwhelming love/joy, or any spiritual encounter. I've read about some of these testimonials (and there's many documented in the Bible e.g. in Acts) and I truly believe they do occur, but just not for me (so far). I don't expect this to happen to me, but is this type of thing something that most Christians get to experience?

All you need do is ask God for the guidance of the Holy Spirit and He will guide you. Keep asking and keep trusting what His Word says and not what popular Christianity says. Test everything you hear with God's Word. I did experience an overwhelming moment of peace, love, and joy when I received Christ way back in 1992. But this may not be the case for every believer. I know that the more we bare our soul to the Lord and we surrender to Him, the joy, and peace from the Lord will come over you in time. Seeking forgiveness with the Lord and trust in what Jesus did for us in that he died for our sins, He was buried, and He was risen three days later on our behalf for salvation is key, as well. It is the grace of God in how we first get saved and it is the grace of God that is our foundation. For we do not do a good work to redeem ourselves from sin. We go to God's grace. For if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9) (cf. Proverbs 28:13).

You said:
Thanks you for any answers

You are most welcome, Ryan.
May God's love shine greatly upon you today, and I hope my answers were helpful to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone.

Just a bit of background about me; I was raised as a Christian in a small town. I've always believed in God from a young age, but got drawn away by worldly pursuits (e.g. sport, friends, partying, work, marriage, kids, etc) from my mid-late teens all the way through to me now at 39 years of age.

I guess you could say my story (at least from a spiritual perspective) is a bit like the story of the prodigal son.

I reached a bit of a turning point recently (about 6 weeks ago) - nothing health related or anything like that... I guess it was a bit of a light-bulb moment where I started to appreciate the real purpose of our time here on earth, as well as the insignificant time frame of our physical existence compared to our eternal spiritual existence.

In my life I've sinned a LOT - inappropriate content/masturbation, pride, hate for others, racist thoughts, lust, impatience, disacknowledgement of God in front of others due to fear of ridicule, etc. I've now repented of my sins many times over and sincerely asked for Jesus to come into my life. Almost miraculously a lot of the sin has gone e.g. no more inappropriate content/masturbation, my hate has subdued, etc. Obviously there's temptation to return to some of these things, but so far (with the help of God) I've been able to resist. I do still sin and I'm far from perfect, but my sins are now less frequent and less significant (that is, if there's a scale to sin e.g. my sins now include occasional moments of grumpiness, accidentally swearing as it's hard to break old habits).

One of several things that I'm doing to help bring me closer to God is that I'm reading the Bible (which I've never done before). Starting in the New Testament, I've read Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, & Acts in the last few weeks alone. I'm doing research as I go, but I've still got quite a few questions I'm hoping for some help with, so here goes...

Oh, and here are some Christian links that may be helpful to you.

CF Thread links:

The Four Aspects of Salvation.
What are the BIG things in the Bible we must accept as Christians? (Please no debating or criticism)
My Christian DVD Collection

My Blogger Article on many evidences that back up God's Word as being holy and divine:

Love Branch: Evidences for the Word of God

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone.

A spirit-filled believer needs to lay hands on you to be filled with the Holy Spirit, re. Point number six.

Shalom.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Bible Highlighter I want to ask you something privately, but I can't start a conversation as I haven't met the minimum criteria. Can you please start a conversation with me.

My pleasure. I just started one with you, brother.

Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟95,699.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @ryan_abc

Firstly, I'm so pleased to hear that you are now back on track to the Father and are reading His Word again! That's great news.

Secondly, thank you for your honesty in your post. It must have taken some bravery.

Now onto your questions...

I read verses in the Bible like "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind". If I'm being honest with myself (and I know God knows my heart); my love is not this strong - I would probably describe it as feeble. I acknowledge what Jesus dying on the cross means for us and I am appreciative, but I feel like my love and appreciation is inadequate. Perhaps my heart has been hardened after many years of sin. Is my situation normal? How can I learn to love and appreciate God/Jesus more?

How you're feeling is completely understandable. It sounds like your love has grown cold towards Him because of your absence - just as it would be towards someone you haven't seen for many years. However, the good news is that this will change! I speak after going through a very similar experience as you.

For now, know that love in the Bible is an active choice. Just as feeding someone hungry is an active step in love, so too is loving God.

You know He created you, everyone you love, the world you live in and the life you are living. Give Him gratitude for these things daily. Eventually, you will find that your love for Him will spiral almost out of control, as if you are overwhelmed by it and you will be at a loss of words to describe your love for Him.

This will come soon not necessarily right away. So, for now, just be grateful and humbly respect and honour Him - soberly and honestly. Then, the relationship between you two will soon grow and become very loving and intimate.

The Bible implies that we should fear God e.g. "the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him" and "fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell". My mind goes through all sorts of 'what-if' scenarios e.g. what if my heart is so hardened that I'm unacceptable to God, what if I've committed some unforgivable sin... perhaps it's the Devil bullying me to feel despair - I don't know, but I do get moments of worry/fear/anxiety... Is this normal? How do I overcome this?

Yes, you should fear Yahweh, always. That is, a fear that respects Him - for who He is and the power He wields as the Creator.

Even now, as much as I love Yahweh with all my heart and He is my loving Father - I still fear Him, or rather, greatly respect Him with reverence. He is the Creator, He has standards, and He isn't playing games. Far too many get a bit too casual with God and make jokes about Him or speak casually concerning Him. That's not cool.

It may sound strange to you now but you can't truly love Him deeply until you first learn to fear Him. We can discuss that more another time if you wish as it's an interesting subject. But, if we don't, one day these words will makes sense to you.

But yes, all these "what if" scenarios in your head are normal. Is it the devil? I doubt it. I think it's far more likely to be you worrying and stressing out about getting this right. That's good. It shows you have a health respect for Him.

In time, as you find the narrow path, those worries will be replaced with confidence and peace. For now, be strong in heart and don't always doubt yourself - try to be objective.

I'm genuinely trying to live a more Godly life as one of God's children. When it comes to things like charity; one of the things I've been doing more of is giving money to the occasional homeless person I see. I do feel sorry for these people, but I ask myself; am I doing this out of genuine love and compassion for my fellow human being, or to win the approval of God... I do have empathy and compassion, but I'd definitely say the latter is a factor. Does this make me a bad person, or is it OK for God to be the reason for charity.

No, it doesn't make you bad person. I think it's the "fleshy" side of human nature to accuse ourselves of being secretly selfish whenever we act altruistically.

It's good to give to the poor. Continue to do so. Only be mindful not to tell anyone, even those close to you and even if it's only part of a bigger point you're making. Then, your conscience will be clear when those accusations arise again as you can respond "Yes, but no one knows I do these things but me and God, so how is it not genuine?"

And so what if you do it to win favour with God? Is that not a worthy goal as well as helping the poor? Therefore, if you wish to help the poor and win favour with God - you seek good things. If your son acted good both because he wanted to and in order to please you, would that disappoint you in anyway?

So don't stress about this but remember to keep your acts of charity as a secret between you and Him.

In Matthew there is the The Parable of the Talents. In this parable 'talents' refers to a sum of money, but it could also be interpreted as actual gifts/talents given to us by God e.g. good at public speaking, gifted at basketball etc. In some ways I think I'm gifted - probably not in the looks departments, but as a real example; I'm probably slightly above average in intelligence (sincerely not trying to brag). What would God be expecting with the talents He's given me? I've worked very hard at the things I'm good at to be successful both individually, as well as for the benefit of other people and/or groups. Is God just expecting us to make use of our talents in the world, or is He expecting something else e.g. good works for God, bringing/encouraging other people to God's family, etc.

I believe He absolutely expects us to use our talents or gifts in service for Him.

If you have above average intelligence, you will be of real benefit to the Kingdom in many ways. However, for now, you should effectively be on "sabbatical" whilst you dive into the Word and learn it.

You will indeed be called upon to serve. But you must train first. Perhaps use your gift to analyse and study the Word effectively and methodically so that when that time comes, you'll be prepared.

Again, first study the Word. This is very important. Else you may run off to serve but do so poorly, being unschooled in the Word.

What does discipleship mean? Are we expected to sell our property and give away all our possessions? IMO this would have been hard in Jesus` day, but would be even harder today... for me; I've got a career, wife, kids, etc. I'm probably considered wealthy in the sense that I have a good paying job, I live in a clean modern city in a first world country, etc; but I'm definitely not in the 1% - I have a mortgage and have to work to pay this and other bills like most other people, so that me and my family can get by. God is now my number #1 priority, and if he called me to do something I'd do it, but what is the expectation...

I would say that the heart behind discipleship is to be prepared to give it all up for Him if you necessary. That's not to say it will happen or that you need to sell your house. Rather, that nothing should come before God in your heart. Not a home, career, car, possession, spouse, child or family member. If Yahweh is to be your God, that means no one is to be above Him or come before Him in your life.

Practically speaking, discipleship is following in the steps of the Messiah and walking in His ways and by His words. He is our great Teacher who teaches us the ways of the Most High. Now, if Messiah happened to visit again and was in your town centre right now, I'm sure you'd run to Him barely grabbing your coat and keys on the way. With that same passion, follow Him today - seeking Him in prayer and in the Word. And to be His disciple means His words always are fact - above whatever you might hear from other teachers or in church. His words are truth and you can't go wrong by following them.

Sometimes I feel like I need guidance from the Holy Spirit. I was baptized as an infant, so I can't remember this occasion. I've never really experienced a moment of overwhelming love/joy, or any spiritual encounter. I've read about some of these testimonials (and there's many documented in the Bible e.g. in Acts) and I truly believe they do occur, but just not for me (so far). I don't expect this to happen to me, but is this type of thing something that most Christians get to experience?

It sounds like you have not been baptised in the Holy Spirit yet. When that happens, things become a lot easier and you will be filled with a great sense of peace and joy. Sure, you may still have bad days, but that deep anchor within, of peace and joy, will not leave you - providing you abide in Him.

Forget the infant baptism thing. It doesn't count. Some may contest, but it's not in Scripture.

So, first seek Water Baptism - but only do so if you REALLY are committed to walk this path. Again, only get baptised if you have fully committed your spirit into His Hands. IT sounds like you have reached this stage.

Thereafter, seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Seek this above all things. This isn't taught as much as it should be and some teach it just happens in background when you believe. That is not the case. It's a supernatural event and when it happens you will KNOW, you won't be left wondering if it has happened. Again, seek this baptism above ALL things. This is the moment of sealing you into the Kingdom of God. Then, an inner peace, joy and guidance will be given to you from Yahweh, through the Messiah, in the Spirit.

I hope that helps. I'm sorry that I rambled on.

May Yahweh guide your heart and steps towards all truth, wisdom and life, in the name of our Lord Yahushua (Jesus Christ)

PS. For more help with starting to read the Bible all the way through, see this page here which will help you a lot.

Love & Shalom

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It will grow. It helps if you pray something like this sincerily:
"Lord, I love you, but not enough. Help me to love you more, with all my heart, all my soul, all my mind, and all of my strength."
Also do that for other commands like loving your neighbor as yourself, and forgiving as Christ has forgiven you.
Yeah, people get doubts like that, and they're baseless. If you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for your justification and your forgiveness, and seek to follow him, then you're not unforgivable - you're forgiven. Choose to believe Scripture rather than these worrisome thoughts. I think you'll pick up a difference between them and genuine conviction of sin.
Don't do it to appease God, do it to please God. You don't do it to earn your life with God, you do it because it it's part of your new life with God, and part of who you are now because you have been born again (Ephesians 2:8-10).
That's ongoing self-discovery. Part of how it has appeared in my own life was that I went to school to be an artist, that didn't turn into dollars, so I had to retrain and I became a technician. My work as a technician has forced be to think in certain ways and conduct myself in certain ways, which caused me to grow in certain ways, and I apply those ways and those approaches to talking with people about the faith now, whether they are Christians in need of encouragement, or unbelievers in need of outreach. It's a much stronger approach than I had when I was in high school and college. I truly see that as putting a talent to work and gaining another.
First of all, take care of your family. The Bible says harsh things about people who would be able to do so if they put forth the effort, but refuse to (1 Timothy 5:8). Now, this may seem confusing when people also read passages like Luke 9:57-62 and Luke 18:18-30 but that indicates a need to understand each passage.
In both Luke passages, Jesus hadn't died yet, and the Holy Spirit hadn't come upon the church yet. Therefore, to learn Jesus' ways, you had to follow him in a very literal sense. Additionally, he was calling people to full-time ministry positions, as evangelists.
Also, in Luke 18:27 it tells us that he was dispelling the myth that because the man had material wealth, he must have been a righteous person (Jews had their own form of "prosperity teaching" in that day). And Peter was expressing concern because he had left his home to follow Jesus, and he was not seeing earthly rewards as this rich young man seemed to have, and if the rich young man wasn't getting anything, what was he, Peter, going to get? Jesus then let him know that there are heavenly rewards for those who sacrificed as he did.
As you read the Letters in the New Testament, you'll get a sense that while these churches did send people out, not everyone who was Christian and inheriting eternal life was expected to go out. But everyone was expected to be generous with what they had to those in need. And one must weigh the role of hospitality in that day of providing basic needs to people vs. today with the infrastructure and social expectations of the societies we live in. The existence of the structures we have to assist travelers and the sick and the needy do not eliminate our responsibilities as Christians to care for them as appropriate, but it will change how and where we focus our efforts to do so.
I did get that for a while. It eventually fades, kind of like taking the training wheels off of a bicycle.

Upvote 0