Reality Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JasonV

Jason, when it came to the question of judgment I was in full agreement with you, or at least partial. But as I mentioned, the type of universalism you were referring to changed so that now we were talking about what we were teaching or who we were allowing to teach.

We can never overestimate the mercy and love of God. But we also have a revelation of God to share and teach, which is the good news of salvation. When Bishop Spong rejects essentially everything that has been revealed in Christ the teachers are no longer teaching anything, that I can define.

Does it make you feel better to know that even a notorious heretic like me rejects the former Bishop of Newark? ;)

I'll shift my attention over to him, rather than you, as I once again reiterate my great respect for your wisdom and kind thinking. As I see it, the way to avert a crisis in Anglicanism is to get this man defrocked if he does not repent of his words mentioned in Albion's post and to have a vocal episcopate that will deny what he has said as belonging to the truth of Anglicanism.

The fact remains that having a communion means that no one single person speaks for the Church. No layperson, no Reader, Sub Deacon, Deacon, Priest, Bishop, Presiding Bishop, Choir Bishop, Arch Bishop, Metropolitian, Patriarch, or Pope can do that.

Let it go my brother. It's His church, His people, let Him worry about it. Being a defender of the faith is way over-rated.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You are right in that I choose TEC for reasons I deem "correct". God wants me there, so I went there. That's good enough of a reason IMO.

Without commenting on the "God wants me there" part, this is exactly what I was saying. You went to TEC after assuring yourself that the Church's stance on some lesser theological issues (which you explained to us earlier) was in accord with what you think right. You were not saying to yourself "It's His church, His people, let Him worry about it."

The process is the same for James.

Surely, if you needed to satisfy yourself about some issues other than *It is Jesus who saves,* then James--understandably enough--should and must do no less.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.