Status
Not open for further replies.

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
I have complained bitterly about the standing commities blocking concent for Mark Lawrence, whom my diocese has elected to be our next Bishop. I told you all that via media's assertion that he was a schsmatic was BS.

http://titusonenine.classicalanglican.net/?p=18040

...All standing committees and bishops with jurisdiction should know that granting consent for the consecration of Mark Lawrence is voting to implement his (and the primates) radical plan to emasculate The Episcopal Church.

AngCath

Jul 7, 2005
✟12,588.00
Faith
Anglican
I am speaking with some degree of ignorance of the matter, but I have to say that: yes, a diocese has the right to elect their own bishop and under normal conditions should be approved. that being said, if he is going to openly challenge the polity of the Episcopal Church and endorse submission of the Episcopal Church to the Primates then standing committies are well within their rights to think twice about it.

please don't read this as my opposition to his election because that is not my role nor my right. I just think that in this time when unity is needed, I can sympathize with those unwilling to confirm his election out of fear of his future actions as a bishop in the Episcopal Church.

Upvote 0

john23237

Jan 30, 2005
virginia
✟213,811.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
The people of the your diocese have spoken. That should settle the matter. We are in complete agreement on this one. However I may feel about his views on certain matters, the bottom line is that the people of the diocese of South Carolina have the God given right to select their spiritual leader and TEC needs to respect that.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,832.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
sooo... its schizmatic to argue that a national church should submit to the global body of which it claims to be a member.... BUT, on the other hand, its not schizmatic to knowingly and deliberately take actions which break the historic teachings of the world wide church, and consequently strain to the breaking point, relations with the rest of the communion and then thumb your nose at their requests for you to consider whether you want to continue in fellowship.

Ahhh liberal logic :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RadixLecti

Mar 14, 2006
✟16,213.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Clock is ticking for S.C. diocese
Bishop-elect 10 votes shy of needed majority

BY ADAM PARKER
The Post and Courier
Time is running out and the Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina remains uncertain about its next bishop.

The diocese must receive approval, or "consent," from a majority of Episcopal bishops and standing committees nationwide before the Very Rev. Mark Lawrence can assume the post he was elected to in a landslide vote Sept. 16.

Bishops have responded favorably, but the diocese has received 46 consents from standing committees, 10 short of the needed majority of 56, according to the Rev. J. Haden McCormick, president of the Diocese of South Carolina's standing committee and rector at St. Philip's Episcopal Church.

http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPages/departmental/news/default_pf.aspx?NEWSID=133192

Upvote 0

plaid_pixie

Jul 17, 2005
✟7,726.00
Faith
Christian
Perhaps - but he wasn't openly courting schism!

and viki gene robinson and frank griswold (as well as the rest of the house of bishops) wasn't when they consented to the ordination of a bishop that the rest of the anglican communion was pleading with them not to consent to?

Upvote 0

plaid_pixie

Jul 17, 2005
✟7,726.00
Faith
Christian
I am speaking with some degree of ignorance of the matter, but I have to say that: yes, a diocese has the right to elect their own bishop and under normal conditions should be approved. that being said, if he is going to openly challenge the polity of the Episcopal Church and endorse submission of the Episcopal Church to the Primates then standing committies are well within their rights to think twice about it.

please don't read this as my opposition to his election because that is not my role nor my right. I just think that in this time when unity is needed, I can sympathize with those unwilling to confirm his election out of fear of his future actions as a bishop in the Episcopal Church.

did you sympathize with south carolina or fort worth or any diocese that feared the future actions of griswold or robinson?

and you are right, unity is needed. however, when a bishop (schori, robinson, griswold, etc.) is no longer preaching the christian fath, and the bishop is the instrument of unity, how can you be unified? there is nothing to unify around.

Upvote 0

AngCath

Jul 7, 2005
✟12,588.00
Faith
Anglican
did you sympathize with south carolina or fort worth or any diocese that feared the future actions of griswold or robinson?

and you are right, unity is needed. however, when a bishop (schori, robinson, griswold, etc.) is no longer preaching the christian fath, and the bishop is the instrument of unity, how can you be unified? there is nothing to unify around.
I opposed +Robinson's consecration

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
sooo... its schizmatic to argue that a national church should submit to the global body of which it claims to be a member.... BUT, on the other hand, its not schizmatic to knowingly and deliberately take actions which break the historic teachings of the world wide church, and consequently strain to the breaking point, relations with the rest of the communion and then thumb your nose at their requests for you to consider whether you want to continue in fellowship.

Ahhh liberal logic :)
Hi Simon_Templar, nice to see you around, you've been a bit scarce lately :) :wave:

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
There is really no way to say that Lawrence+ is a fascist, without implying that most Christians for the last 2,000 years, who held his same beliefs, were also fascist. Now, if it is the case that one doesn’t believe what most people belonging to the faith believe, and have believed since they defined the faith, then it is irrational to hold a new belief, demand that it be called Christianity, and sabotage those holding the traditional belief.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.