Re-married pastors

Can a man be divorced and re married and still pastor a church?

• Yes

• No

• Don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother Jason

KJV (King Jesus Version)
Feb 26, 2006
South Carolina
Visit site
✟23,494.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was just wondering what all of your takes were on this subject. I feel that the Bible is clear about the matter; 1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;. I don't believe that God wants His church led by a pastor that has been re married even if it wasn't his fault.

My reason for asking this is the only pentecostal church in our little town (so small it's amazing it has 1 church, let alone 3) has a pastor that has been re married. My oldest surviving brother is youth leader and he is also re married. I just really feel that this is a black and white matter but I would like to hear what you all have to say about it.

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am a Nazarene pastor and hope you don't mind my input. I am divorced and remarried. This is certainly a complex issue that can really incite the passions of the people involved in the discussion so please accept my words in the spirit of fellowship, as brothers looking to Scripture for the answer.

Scripture tells us that there are two reasons divorce is allowed. 1. Jesus tells us the case of immorality 2. Paul tells us a believing spouse should not force an unbeliever to stay if they want to leave. In the case of #2 the Bible even says the believer is free to remarry.

I my case, my first wife was unfaithful and likely an unbeliever, in fact last I heard she claimed to be a buddhist. Being human I know I also had my own sins in the matter, which I repented of and I believe Christs blood covered. I am now married to a godly woman, about to hit the 11 year mark, and I would defy any one to say that this marriage is anything but blessed. She is my one and only bride and I thank God for her everyday.

I do understand how sensitive this issue can be and when I told my senior pastor that my bride and I had been praying about full time ministry he said, "well, you've been doing the work of a pastor, let's make it official." Before starting the road to ordination I expressed my own concern over the issue. I did not want anyone to think I was hiding anything and I wanted everyone involved to know I was aware that some people may have very real concerns. The discussion was definately a blessed one.

Incidently, my bride's step father is a pentacostal minister in SC. He is a widower and married her mother, who was divorced. Her first husband was an abusive drunk who cheated on her. he actually lost his ordination over the marriage, but was able to get it re-instated a couple years later after much prayer and discussion.

Remember, Paul (when he was still Saul) was essentially a murderer and look what position God called him too?

God bless
Jason

Upvote 0

Brother Jason

KJV (King Jesus Version)
Feb 26, 2006
South Carolina
Visit site
✟23,494.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is certainly a touchy subject, I'm not looking to ruffle feathers though. I'm not asking you to defend yourself, what you do is in between you and God and your congregation, but how do you answer Paul's qualifications of a Bishop and Deacon?

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Titus 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

Once again, I'm not looking to ruffle feathers so if you are uncomfortable answering don't, I'm just curious. Thanks.

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I told you, I am the husband of one wife. According to 1 Cor 7 I am free. Why should I allow men to tell me I am not free (by saying I should not remarry) when Scripture says I am free. God does not place such limitations on our freedom.

Also, none of the qualifications are a beat all end all issue. Meaning, we need to look at the full chracter of the man and the circumstances involved. I know many pastors that I did not think they ran their house well, but met the other issues well. Also, in the list given to Timothy we are told that leaders should not be new converts, however in Titus that is not an issue.

Truth be told, no one would fully fit the qualifications, certainly not to the standards and opinions of many men. Paul, Peter, and Jesus would all be rejected.

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I am a re-married minister. I was in an abusive situation, and when that abuse spread to my toddler, I left.

Does that mean I'm disqualified to pastor a church? Would it have been more "Godly" to stay and put myself and my baby at risk? My ex hit our baby the first time when he was six weeks old. I stayed another 18 months trying to work it out. Where is my sin?

Upvote 0

okieray

Dec 30, 2006
sallisaw,oklahoma
✟15,620.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i don`t see a problem as long the wife is the problem, i think she should be the one who ask for the marriage to become final. the man has little control in this area. i`ve known of too many cases where the preacher ended up with someone`s wife causing two divorces, in this case the preacher should not be allowed to preach any longer

Upvote 0

the.Sheepdog

You must be born again!
Oct 26, 2008
Sanford, FL
✟31,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Who amongst us is so shiny clean that we can cast doubt on anyone else? I am on my 3rd marriage. Two wives cheated on me and I would have taken them back even before being a Christian, as I still loved them. 13 years with my third but really in my view she is my first. She is also my last. Legalism will kill a church and a spiritual life.

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Who amongst us is so shiny clean that we can cast doubt on anyone else? I am on my 3rd marriage. Two wives cheated on me and I would have taken them back even before being a Christian, as I still loved them. 13 years with my third but really in my view she is my first. She is also my last. Legalism will kill a church and a spiritual life.

That is an interesting point of view. I am divorced and remarried as well. So, I find the topic interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

everhopeful

Nov 7, 2008
United States of America
✟15,238.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My thoughts, for what they're respectfully worth, are:

I do think mont974x4 is right in the fact that one is permitted to remarry if one of the two biblical conditions are met.

But, as Brother Jason pointed out using Scripture, one who has been married before cannot be a pastor.

Reactions: Brother Jason
Upvote 0

okieray

Dec 30, 2006
sallisaw,oklahoma
✟15,620.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
matt.19:9 "and i say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another , commits adultery ;and whoever marries her who is devorced commits adultery." it looks like there is only one reason for a devorce '' adultery"

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
matt.19:9 "and i say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another , commits adultery ;and whoever marries her who is devorced commits adultery." it looks like there is only one reason for a devorce '' adultery"

Read 1 Cor 7 also

Upvote 0

rae72

Nov 18, 2008
Idaho
✟15,183.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I was just wondering what all of your takes were on this subject. I feel that the Bible is clear about the matter; 1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;. I don't believe that God wants His church led by a pastor that has been re married even if it wasn't his fault.

I agree with you. I believe it is black and white. It clearly says a husband of one wife, not a husband who has been biblically divorced. Even if you are not biblically divorced, you can be forgiven because of the blood of Jesus. However, even though you are forgiven, there are consequences to sin (yours and those around you). For example, a person who was a needle drug addict before becoming a Christian may still end up with AIDS or a promiscuous women will become a believer but will still struggle with infertility becauce of infection, a child of a smoker can have asthma. Your divorced and the Bible says you can't be a pastor. There are many other ways to serve the Lord.

I know this is a Pentecostal/Assemblies of God thread, but I think this is a worthy discussion so I hope you don't mind that I butted in. I don't know the "rules" of your denominations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

okieray

Dec 30, 2006
sallisaw,oklahoma
✟15,620.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Read 1 Cor 7 also
yes 1 cor. 7 is good i`ve read it many times in the past, this talks of self control. in this world of pagan ways many live for self as it was when Jesus walked the earth. i have some self problems also and in these times i lean on the Lord! i`m glad the assembley of god churches have stood fast on devorce with our pastors anlike some others who don`t have morals , i believe we in the aog are guided by the Holy Spirit!

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Mod Hat Post

This thread is being closed at OP request. If you would like to continue the discussion, I suggest starting a new thread and maybe copying some of your posts there.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.