• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Raped girl, 17, dies by legal euthanasia in the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by myst33, Jun 5, 2019.

1. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+934
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HannahT

HannahT Newbie Supporter

+1,721
    Christian
    Married
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's heartbreaking.

3. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 In a Kingdom by the Sea. Staff Member Administrator Supporter CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team

+5,461
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    Very sad. When I think of the intent of assisted suicide, I think of those on their deathbed with no hope, dying of cancer or another terrible disease, and wanting it to end to save them dignity, sanity and pain. Assisted suicide because of PTSD, something that can be eased with time and therapy, is certainly something different.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  4. Willing-heart

Willing-heart In Christ Alone. Supporter

+455
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Ironically, suicide is a kind of survival mechanism. Most suicides are undertaken as a way to escape the unbearable physical and mental pain. For a young beautiful girl to want to die is utterly heart-breaking, for her and her family and friends. I would think they all had exhausted every way to help her. If this poor girl saw suicide as the only way out, then the system clearly failed her. A country that truly cares for its people would have systems in place to better care for the lives of victims, not kill them. The Dutch are against capital punishment but are seemingly okay with letting this teenage girl drown. According to the state, she wasn’t mature enough to vote, she wasn’t mature enough to drink, she wasn’t mature enough to drive, but she can sign her own legal and governmentally approved euthanasia. This makes no sense…

Joni Eareckson Tada once said suffering presses you up against God. This is coming from someone who understands physical chronic pain every single day of her precious God-given life. Joni’s ability to live as a quadriplegic for 50 years is evidence for the power of God. I can’t even imagine living her life! And chronic pain on top of that. The sufferings of the world do not confirm God's absence; rather, God makes his presence in the midst of suffering. But sadly, not everyone may know that. C.S Lewis grief led him to struggle with the possibility that ‘there is nothing we can do with suffering except to suffer it.’

Pain is no evil, unless it conquers us.

5. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+934
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    They edited the article:

"[This article has been updated to remove references to how Pothoven died.]"

Not sure why, it was clearly said that she died in assisted euthanasia in Netherlands, in the original. There were also various details about euthanasia in Netherlands, Switzerland and Finland, and her age - also removed now.

6. Willing-heart

Willing-heart In Christ Alone. Supporter

+455
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Even sky news has changed their story on it so has not to reference about the euthanasia.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+13,164
    Christian
    Married
    https://www.politico.eu/article/noa-pothoven-euthanasia-that-wasnt-suicide-mental-illness-anorexia/
    perhaps this article can help.
    tulc(hopes this helps people understand what happened) :sigh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Newbie

+1,146
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    There are some people who think this girls death is a good thing.

9. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats God Seeker

+381
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Those people are mentally sick.

10. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,265
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I doubt that anyone thinks her death is a good thing. I have concerns about the parents' actions, as they could have prevented it. But it wasn't assisted suicide / euthanasia.