The Wild West
✟476,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The phrase "old as sin" is to imply something is as old as sin itself (otherwise referred as the dawn of time, or as old as dirt)

Helpful?

It's not knocking the elderly, or at least the phrase isn't.

Indeed I am aware of the history of the phrase. However I do believe we should avoid using it, particularly in the context of this thread, with respect to individuals, except perhaps in the spirit of self-deprecating humor. For example I might refer to myself using such a phrase (as it happens, I haven’t, but I have used other similar phrases in jest). The reason for this is because ageism is becoming more common and more widespread, in particular with the very disrespectful manner in which members of the Baby Boomer generation, who themselves I would note were, collectively, in their youth, known for a relative lack of respect of their elders compared to prior generations, which became the inspiration for books such as Logan’s Run, which was later adapted as a film regarding Michael York, but since that time, ageist discrimination has spread within society and in Europe, furthermore, there exists a problem with the social isolation of the elderly which drives many into a state of despair, which only deepens to my opposition to doctor-assisted homicide.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I get you. The whole mediated application of 'care' in the midst of Bio-Medical Ethics debates doesn't help when any of us are involved in these emergency and critical medical situations. From the sound of your experience, you were caught between a rock and a hard place in attempting to do what you were suppose to do as a minister of the faith.

I would say that I was subject to verbal abuse by a non-medical hospital manager for relaying the stated wishes of my friend’s wife, also expressed by him before his death, which I would not be able to dishonor while retaining any sense of personal moral integrity.

Now, furthermore, from my perspective I think his wife made the correct call, and my own advance directives stipulate that doctors are to try to save my life, and these are also the advanced directives of all of my relatives. However, I do have friends who fear the pain that might be inflicted with CPR and from intubation and would rather prefer not to be resuscitated using those specific therapies, and declining a treatment is not by itself suicidal, particularly when that treatment only offers a hope of continued life, and involves such a risk of pain. So I can’t fault people for not wanting it, but I do think that it should be the default standard of care in the absence of a known DNR directive, which it was in the US. Furthermore, I have a friend who once saved the life of my ailing grandfather, who was sued by a patient who survived, who would have died had he not resuscitated them, because the doctor resucitated them despite a DNR order being in place. As it happens the doctor was not made aware of the DNR order due to poor hospital communication. I believe the law should have protected him; as it happens he did not lose his license but was made to compensate the individual, despite the fact that he saved their life and they recovered. I do believe doctors should enjoy professional immunity from damages that result from successful life-saving medical interventions.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's you who doesn't understand that I reject your liberal worldview in favour of something reflecting the historic Christian view of the political. I don't get my spirituality from modern politicians, who are about as educated and invested on historic Christianity and the tradition as you are.
“Historic Christian view” does not support the idea that you follow politicians as religious leaders.
I don't root my spirituality in politics but I do not separate my politics from my religious views like you do.
You can rewrite it to make it more favorable to you however you like, but what you’re saying is that you’re turning to a politician for your religious fulfillment, which isn’t the point of religion or politician. And you should be glad for that, actually, because it means your faith is protected.

Your job in following a religion is to conduct yourself in accordance with your religion, with the support of your religious leaders. What not separating your politics with religion means (and looks like) is you making the choices and actions of your faith while weighted against what is legal.

IE, if your interpretation of your faith is that assisted suicide is not ok, then despite it being legal in your territory, you opt not to do it. It is not saying it’s against your interpretation of your faith, so NOBODY is allowed to do it. The former is living your faith, the latter you to controlling to force them to follow your vision, but hiding behind faith as the reason why you can’t be challenged.
In otherwords I don't subordinate Christianity to liberal political Orthodoxy like you do. This is why I put quotations around 'Christian Democrat.' They aren't really Christian at all.
You aren’t God, do you deciding who is and isn’t really a Christian is not only against forum rules, but also unbiblical. It denotes a level of pride that is problematic and it puts you in a position that is only held by God.
Given your support for suicide you I think you'd like that.
I do? That’s news to me.

Interesting you’d tell me what I believe and then condemning me for it instead of asking me. Curious what part of Christianity that practice is consistent with.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,216.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
“Historic Christian view” does not support the idea that you follow politicians as religious leaders.

You can rewrite it to make it more favorable to you however you like, but what you’re saying is that you’re turning to a politician for your religious fulfillment, which isn’t the point of religion or politician. And you should be glad for that, actually, because it means your faith is protected.

Your job in following a religion is to conduct yourself in accordance with your religion, with the support of your religious leaders. What not separating your politics with religion means (and looks like) is you making the choices and actions of your faith while weighted against what is legal.

IE, if your interpretation of your faith is that assisted suicide is not ok, then despite it being legal in your territory, you opt not to do it. It is not saying it’s against your interpretation of your faith, so NOBODY is allowed to do it. The former is living your faith, the latter you to controlling to force them to follow your vision, but hiding behind faith as the reason why you can’t be challenged.

You aren’t God, do you deciding who is and isn’t really a Christian is not only against forum rules, but also unbiblical. It denotes a level of pride that is problematic and it puts you in a position that is only held by God.

I do? That’s news to me.

Interesting you’d tell me what I believe and then condemning me for it instead of asking me. Curious what part of Christianity that practice is consistent with.
The historic Christian view doesn't say Christians should be excluded from the excercise of power and that only the non religious or the pagan may handle it. Nor does is it right for you suggest that to enact a policy whose basis is in religion renders that person a religious leader. To put it this way, Constantine may outlaw crucifixion and Pagan worship due to Christian concerns but that doesn't make him a priest. Get it?

My job in following Christ is to do my best in life. It isn't to hand power to my enemies and say they have the right to rule over me. If it is within my power to support policies which are in accordance with my faith I will do so. I will not submit my values to your preferred non Christian values in politics because Christianity is inherently superior to them. Christianity > Liberal secularism.

Also, it isn't just my interpretation. It is the interpretation of the Church throughout history. Your interpretation that we have to accept and tolerate suicide is the aberration.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,555.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, one which I would lament has in recent decades not quite lived up to either aspect of its name. Its more of a center-left technocratic party than a Christian and democratic party.
I do not know first-hand, because we do not have this party in my country.

But according to wiki, they differ significantly country to country and regarding specific policies (in some they are to the right, in some they are to the left).

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The historic Christian view doesn't say Christians should be excluded from the excercise of power and that only the non religious or the pagan may handle it. Nor does is it right for you suggest that to enact a policy whose basis is in religion renders that person a religious leader. To put it this way, Constantine may outlaw crucifixion and Pagan worship due to Christian concerns but that doesn't make him a priest. Get it?
LoL, you seem super intent on not getting the point. Constantine outlawing pagan worship and crucifixion doesn’t make him a priest, but it also doesn’t make him a representative of a modern democracy, either. This means you, as a Christian, should be turning to religious leaders for your spiritual practice, not to politicians to enact it.

So, you shouldn’t be crucifying people or being pagan because that’s what your religious leader and your faith tell you, not because a politician did. Which means that when you live in a free society, you continue to not be a pagan despite the fact the fact that no politician has made it illegal.
My job in following Christ is to do my best in life. It isn't to hand power to my enemies and say they have the right to rule over me. If it is within my power to support policies which are in accordance with my faith I will do so. I will not submit my values to your preferred non Christian values in politics because Christianity is inherently superior to them. Christianity > Liberal secularism.
Of course. You can throw your vote away however you want. That said, it means if people elect somebody who wants to legislate Islamic beliefs or Pagan beliefs, you have no business complaining as they’re just following the dynamic of leadership you advocated for.

Me? I’d rather pursue my faith though religious leaders and texts as I’m confident in my faith and don’t need somebody to legislate my faith as I’m strong enough in it to follow it without being compelled to do so. That said, my faith is a roadmap to God and spiritual growth, not a playbook for earthy control and power of the masses through politics.
Also, it isn't just my interpretation. It is the interpretation of the Church throughout history. Your interpretation that we have to accept and tolerate suicide is the aberration.
Again with telling me what I believe without even asking me. While I admire your commitment to being blatantly wrong at every opportunity, I think you’ll find people take you more seriously and less of a reactionary if you actually participated in the discussion vs inventing wild narratives about people, ideas, and people’s personal beliefs. You announcing what I believe and then arguing with yourself about why I’m wrong for holding the belief, even though I don’t,
feels a bit like the discussion is more that “old man yells at cloud” meme and less like you’re actually talking with any of us.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
But according to wiki, they differ significantly country to country and regarding specific policies (in some they are to the right, in some they are to the left).

Yes that is true.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,216.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
LoL, you seem super intent on not getting the point. Constantine outlawing pagan worship and crucifixion doesn’t make him a priest, but it also doesn’t make him a representative of a modern democracy, either. This means you, as a Christian, should be turning to religious leaders for your spiritual practice, not to politicians to enact it.
I think it's you who doesn't understand. Your implicit argument is that Christians cannot rely on politicians to represent their interests or enact policies which are in accordance with their values because it goes against modern democracy. I do not believe modern democracy is sacrosanct and cannot be changed. I do not have to honour your non-Christian belief in modern democracy. I do turn to spiritual leaders for my practice but that doesn't mean I have to separate my Christianity from my politics like you do. You for instance may believe there is a sacred right for suicide you cannot interfere with, I have no such belief.
So, you shouldn’t be crucifying people or being pagan because that’s what your religious leader and your faith tell you, not because a politician did. Which means that when you live in a free society, you continue to not be a pagan despite the fact the fact that no politician has made it illegal.

Um. You don't seem to understand the point I was making. In fact you're somewhat reinforcing it. You seem to have a problem with St Constantine outlawing crucifixion on religious grounds. That is you believe it was wrong for Constantine to outlaw crucifixion on the basis of Christianity, that our Lord suffered in such a way and that it is wrong for us to execute people in a similar fashion. My example wasn't to demonstrate that because Constantine outlawed it we should we follow that, it was to demonstrate that religious motivation in law matters and can be justified. But you don't believe that. You believe Constantine should have outlawed it on secular humanist grounds but not religious grounds. Interesting, it shows where your true values lie. You will gladly compel people in the name of secular humanism to not crucify people but to do so in the name of Christ is abhorrent to you.

Given the fact that I actually abhor what most modern politicians do, I'm curious as to who you think I think is a religious leader that I follow.
Of course. You can throw your vote away however you want. That said, it means if people elect somebody who wants to legislate Islamic beliefs or Pagan beliefs, you have no business complaining as they’re just following the dynamic of leadership you advocated for.

Of course Pagans and Muslims are going to seek their interests. I don't complain about that because I understand their perspective. This is why the Islamic world operating as Islamic principalities doesn't offend me. Here's the thing though, if you believe in democracy they are free to actually seek their own interests at the expense of others. Especially if they gain the majority and seek to impose more Islamic laws onto to society, which they will do so as their population grows in many countries in Europe. It's only natural. Like me, Muslims and pagans don't respect liberal democracy. It's to their benefit as well because Muslims understand society needs to reflect their religion, not Godless secularism that you love and adore.

Me? I’d rather pursue my faith though religious leaders and texts as I’m confident in my faith and don’t need somebody to legislate my faith as I’m strong enough in it to follow it without being compelled to do so. That said, my faith is a roadmap to God and spiritual growth, not a playbook for earthy control and power of the masses through politics.

Well what's your faith? What denomination are you? Is your Church one of the churches that are growing? Eastern Orthodoxy is growing and is more vibrant than most Protestant Churches. I think it's interesting you oppose the Idea of the masses being controlled through power and politics, yet the stark reality is that they are. Most people within life are followers of power and they conform themselves to it. Someone needs to be in power. Why should Christians abandon power completely from your perspective to be handled by their enemies? We haven't done this throughout most of our history, only relatively recently in the last two hundred years have things been building up to this point. Interestingly I note that it hasn't resulted in the flourishing of the faith. Christianity flourished when this separation wasn't maintained yet you oppose that non-modern system or way of thinking about politics. Why?

We have been following the liberal program of separating religion from society for about two hundred years and the results are pretty evident. The Faith is dying and less and less people are maintaining Christianity, instead they adopt new civil religions and ideologies which are woefully inadequate for sating the problems of modernity. Is this a good thing in your view? That society continues to become less and less Christian in general?

Again with telling me what I believe without even asking me. While I admire your commitment to being blatantly wrong at every opportunity, I think you’ll find people take you more seriously and less of a reactionary if you actually participated in the discussion vs inventing wild narratives about people, ideas, and people’s personal beliefs. You announcing what I believe and then arguing with yourself about why I’m wrong for holding the belief, even though I don’t,
feels a bit like the discussion is more that “old man yells at cloud” meme and less like you’re actually talking with any of us.
I am a reactionary... I do not have your political or religious views (Which are thoroughly modern and disconnected from historic Christianity). I don't know what you believe except that suicide is alright. If I'm wrong about you and suicide please explain how I am wrong. You support the couple in the OP who offed themselves. Explain to me how this doesn't support suicide.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
LoL, you seem super intent on not getting the point. Constantine outlawing pagan worship and crucifixion doesn’t make him a priest, but it also doesn’t make him a representative of a modern democracy, either.

So from this comparison, are we to believe that there are no modern democracies that outlaw assisted suicide? Japan, for instance, is not a modern democracy? Or perhaps they are somehow infested with Christian demagoguery, despite the Christian population of that country being only about 1%?

This means you, as a Christian, should be turning to religious leaders for your spiritual practice, not to politicians to enact it.

To be fairer to Ignatius' argument, it is not traditional to Christianity that we separate the two. Some of the earliest apologies we have for Christianity, such as the apology of Aristides (2nd century AD), were delivered directly to the emperor or before the senate. This tradition continued on later with debates occurring in Constantinople, for instance, or when the Melkite bishop Theodore Abu Qurrah went to Armenia to stump for Chalcedonianism in the court of Ashot Msaker (the Armenian prince of the time, during Arab/Rashidun-ruled Armenia, 9th century).

That does not follow at all. We in the Coptic Orthodox Church, for instance, have never relied on the benevolence of government in order to practice our faith, but we nevertheless recognize that it's good to have when we can get it! That's one of the reasons why we still pray to this day "for the king of this land" (in quotes, because it's part of the liturgical text itself). Should we not be doing that, just because since the 7th century Islam has come to Egypt, and eventually held sway there numerically by the turn of the first millennium?

This is the fundamental difference between the modern western secularist and the traditional Christian, it seems. The traditional Christian wants pious leadership because it is what is best for the Church, and it is ultimately best for all mankind when the Church is strongly present in the land. It seems that the modern western secularist looks at the presence of all these non-Christian minorities (or majorities, as the case may be) and says "What about them? You wouldn't want them ruling over you with their religious law, so why should you rule over them with yours?", not recognizing that there is a world of difference between the Christian approach to such matters and that of others.

To put it another way, we do not fast so as to have a pretext to punish those who do not do so, but because it's what we are called to do personally and collectively, as members of the Church. In great distinction to how it is in many Islamic societies, it is not the rule that we carry out collective punishments against any who do not follow our rules, as our scriptures say instead "What business do I have judging those who are outside?" (meaning outside of the Church; this is in St. Paul's first epistle to the Corinthians)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread is closed. One problem is that this topic could trigger readers and/or members who are fighting suicidal thoughts. The other problem is that no one can defend the activities of the people in the OP and not violate the site rules as they are at this time.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.