Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If your reading this and you are a Premillennialist, I'm sorry, I don't have a problem with you personnally I just need to vent.

So, I have a huge problem with Premillennialism as it is, it might even be my pet peeve, but televangelist John Hagee just fired me up about it (forgive me for listening to him). So he writes all these books, seromons, etc. about how Jesus will come back and set up a 1,000 year long Jewish rule under Jewish laws where the Jews come first and Christians come 2nd and accuses all who disagree with this of beign anti-semites. GRRRR :mad:!!!!

Where do people get this stuff from? To me it is the equivalent of saying that Jesus' death wasn't good enough and we need to revert to the Old Covenant again. Why did Jesus come in the first place? To make a better covenant, making the old one obsolete.

Then he talks about the Edict of Milan (which he said made Christianity the official religion, but it didn't.) He goes on to say that the Christianity that was "made official" then was not the Christianity taught by Jesus.

So what does he want me to believe, that Christianity practised in 2006 is closer to the original than Christianity practised in 313?

:mad: :mad:

Does this bother anyone other than me?

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Cosmic Charlie said:
Whats a Premillennialist ?

From Encarta:

belief in Second Coming before millennium: the belief that Jesus Christ will return for the Last Judgment just before the one-thousand-year reign of peace millennium mentioned in the Bible.

As far as the end of the world goes, my theory is that it will indeed happen. Pretty solid on that one.

I don't have theological name for that one....maybe I'll call it Italianist since I hope that I will have just had some pasta since it is filling but easy to travel on:)

Upon_This_Rock said:
Then he talks about the Edict of Milan (which he said made Christianity the official religion, but it didn't.) He goes on to say that the Christianity that was "made official" then was not the Christianity taught by Jesus.

So what does he want me to believe, that Christianity practised in 2006 is closer to the original than Christianity practised in 313?

Maybe he was talking to the mormons earlier.

Seriously, I try not to give alot of thought to this kind of stuff. How does it in anyway make a difference to how we should care about and love one another or live our Christian lives. The Edict of Milan thing is just wacky. It made Christianity legal not offical. Maybe he should try a google search.

But I understand how frustrating it can be. so vent away.

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
NewMan99 said:
Dear Upon,

A very good book to help you with this topic is "Will Catholics Be Left Behind" by Carl Olson. Carl is a first rate guy and knows his stuff. His book was most helpful to me.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
What about the dual-covenant people that believe Jews can be saved by the Old Covenant only, but non-Jews need the New Covenant.

Pro-Israel evangelicals have tried to tout that teaching to me many a times before.
Ya, I just don't get this stuff.

Sorry guys, this is just one of those things to me...

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
just before the one-thousand-year reign of peace millennium mentioned in the Bible.
That's where the Evangelical Premillennial View differs from the Catholic Amillennial view. The thousand year reign is not a future earthly event it is a current spiritual kingdom known as the church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Davidnic said:
From Encarta:

belief in Second Coming before millennium: the belief that Jesus Christ will return for the Last Judgment just before the one-thousand-year reign of peace millennium mentioned in the Bible.

Thank you

Now, what is is called if you beleive that Revelation is just an allegory wiritten in apocalyptic style. That it is a book written to give hope to Christians living in difficult times and has nothing whatsoever to do with any future happenings ?

Just wondering.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Cosmic Charlie said:
Thank you

Now, what is is called if you beleive that Revelation is just an allegory wiritten in apocalyptic style. That it is a book written to give hope to Christians living in difficult times and has nothing whatsoever to do with any future happenings ?

Just wondering.

It's called being in agreement with alot of people.

Alot of Catholics believe that Revelation is reflective of the earlier persecutions. It's inspired nature is not tied strictly to it being prophecy. It could also be God's continuing message on the struggle between the Christian life and the way of the world in general.

As far as I know, I could be wrong, the Church mandates no interpetation of Revelations aside from the fact that it is inspired Scripture.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Davidnic said:
It's called being in agreement with alot of people.

"being in agreement with alot of people"

That's not a cool name like

Permilliumism

or

Postperterism

or

anitdisatablibshmentariain ism

Can we work on that ?

Upvote 0

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Cosmic Charlie said:
Thank you

Just wondering.

Preterist

There are three other views: Futurist, Historist, and Idealist. We as Catholics can be any of the above, or a combination of two or more. The one thing that we are not permitted is to be Hyper-preterist, which is a view that the second coming alreay happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics