Freakin' ray of sunshyne
May 7, 2008
Nacogdoches, TX
✟17,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 1:5[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 1:6[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 1:7[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 1:8[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For if these things are yours and abound, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]you will be[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 1:9[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]In this listing, I find it very interesting that it starts out with faith. One by one, characteristics are added beginning with virtue. Step by step, the process builds. It's almost like you can't get virtue without faith or knowledge without virtue, or self control without knowledge, or perseverance without self-control and so on. Most interesting from my perspective, is that love is the final step in this pyramid of character traits to build a CHRISTian (or image of Christ). We see throughout the New Testament that love is the fulfillment of the law, and that love covers a multitude of sins. Perhaps this is why it is at the top of this “triangle”. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Going on, verse 8 tells us that if these things are ours and abound (I think it's important to note the “abound” part), then we will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]knowledge[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] of the Lord. This would imply to me that the more we imitate Christ, the more we [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]know [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]about Him. We learn by imitation. On the other hand, if we lack these things, we forget that we are cleansed from our old sins. For me, and others, I'm sure...this leads back to a life of guilt, shame and condemnation under the Law.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]In conclusion, it all points back to grace. The grace of God is what allows us to be diligent, virtuous, have the gift (yes I believe, the gift) of knowledge of Christ, self control, perseverance, godliness, and kindness, and finally, love. By the grace of God, I am what I am, and in Christ, I am the above listed things because I am imitating the one who gives me these qualities. Therefore, I could conclude that knowing who we are in Christ is what makes us fruitful.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]What say y'all?
[/FONT]

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 1:5[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 1:6[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 1:7[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 1:8[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For if these things are yours and abound, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]you will be[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 1:9[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]In this listing, I find it very interesting that it starts out with faith. One by one, characteristics are added beginning with virtue. Step by step, the process builds. It's almost like you can't get virtue without faith or knowledge without virtue, or self control without knowledge, or perseverance without self-control and so on. Most interesting from my perspective, is that love is the final step in this pyramid of character traits to build a CHRISTian (or image of Christ). We see throughout the New Testament that love is the fulfillment of the law, and that love covers a multitude of sins. Perhaps this is why it is at the top of this “triangle”. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Going on, verse 8 tells us that if these things are ours and abound (I think it's important to note the “abound” part), then we will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]knowledge[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] of the Lord. This would imply to me that the more we imitate Christ, the more we [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]know [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]about Him. We learn by imitation. On the other hand, if we lack these things, we forget that we are cleansed from our old sins. For me, and others, I'm sure...this leads back to a life of guilt, shame and condemnation under the Law. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]In conclusion, it all points back to grace. The grace of God is what allows us to be diligent, virtuous, have the gift (yes I believe, the gift) of knowledge of Christ, self control, perseverance, godliness, and kindness, and finally, love. By the grace of God, I am what I am, and in Christ, I am the above listed things because I am imitating the one who gives me these qualities. Therefore, I could conclude that knowing who we are in Christ is what makes us fruitful. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]What say y'all?[/FONT]
Totally awesome post sis!
Yes,i agree.
It is all by Him,he causes the growth,produces fruit,and sustains us.

For you know the grace of Our Lord Jesus Christ, though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich . 2Cor 8:9
:clap:

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2 Timothy 1:9
who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

Note the beginning of time part..
Eternal grace!

It goes so much more deeper than our natural minds can understand,thats why it comes by revelation.:clap:

The prophets searched for it,along time ago..

1 Peter 1:10
Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care,

Upvote 0

map4

Love Never Fails
Mar 29, 2008
Texas
✟10,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is all about knowing who we are in Christ.

Not in an arrogant, gimme mentality.

It wasn't until I had a revelation of who we are in Christ that I was set free from guilt, (self) condemnation, 'works' mentality, etc. and realized that it is not all about me and what I have to do to 'be good'. But it is about who I am IN HIM. Because without Him, I am not good anyway. And because of Christ, Christ in me and me in Him, I can be and do all He wants me to be. I can be myself, my true self that He created me to be.

Line upon line, precept upon precept. From glory to glory.
He perfects those things mentioned in the OP.
The fruits of the spirit blossom and mature as we grow in our knowledge of Him.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2Pe 1:9[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Going on, verse 8 tells us that if these things are ours and abound (I think it's important to note the “abound” part), then we will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]knowledge[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] of the Lord. This would imply to me that the more we imitate Christ, the more we [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]know [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]about Him. We learn by imitation. On the other hand, if we lack these things, we forget that we are cleansed from our old sins. For me, and others, I'm sure...this leads back to a life of guilt, shame and condemnation under the Law. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]In conclusion, it all points back to grace. The grace of God is what allows us to be diligent, virtuous, have the gift (yes I believe, the gift) of knowledge of Christ, self control, perseverance, godliness, and kindness, and finally, love. By the grace of God, I am what I am, and in Christ, I am the above listed things because I am imitating the one who gives me these qualities. Therefore, I could conclude that knowing who we are in Christ is what makes us fruitful. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]What say y'all?[/FONT]

Isn't it beautiful...how a soul grounded in the grace of God is free to embrace what the Lord is doing in his or her life.

Great post...Grape Girl!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.