Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
New to me - I didn't know that cows could get rabies. I guess they can get bit same as any other mammal. Perhaps the oddest part is that this cow bit a person or two in turn.

Shocking: Rabid Cow Attacks People In Upstate New York

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in North America rabies is most commonly found in bats, skunks, raccoons, foxes, and mongoose. It is also found in cats, cattle, and dogs. The CDC says that rabid bats have been found in every state except for Hawaii. Rabid mongoose have been found in Puerto Rico.

Rabies is easily transmitted from animals to other animals, including human beings. Human cases are rare in the United States, but deadly if not caught in time.

jacorian

Dec 27, 2022
New England
✟15,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This would be rare but it is possible that canines, felines, ursines, or bats could target the animal as prey & convey the virus. The family of animals least likely to be affected are reptiles because they are cold-blooded the weasel family.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This would be rare but it is possible that canines, felines, ursines, or bats could target the animal as prey & convey the virus. The family of animals least likely to be affected are reptiles because they are cold-blooded the weasel family.
Ah yes, bats! Are there any blood sucking bats in the US? Yes, but... ...not in NY, just in the extreme southwest. Still, rabid animals bite indiscriminately, so it could've been a bat, just not a vampire bat.

There are black bears here in New York - do bears get rabies? Yes, but......very rarely. Somewhat recently in NC, 2019.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have read that foxes with rabies have been able to attack a person. That could be before they became more disabled by the rabies virus.

So, I can see it possible that some rabies infected animal could have attacked the cow before the attacking creature was too disabled to attack anything.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He got rabies from a rabid cow. - edit, that is how I remembered it.

Actually, I remembered wrong. A cow got rabies from a wolf after being attacked ,and after the cow was killed by Travis, and while the carcass was burning, a rabid wolf came around Travis's mother. Old Yeller fought off the wolf and then got rabies.

It's been a few decades so I remembered it as the rabid cow attacking and Old Yeller getting rabies from the cow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0