Rabbits do "chew the cud".

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Praise God, having digested all the "crap" on this thread I know I've finally found the perfect panel of experts I need to solve a great theological problem, and my question is surely far more significant to mankind than kosher rabbits.

I am cruelly tormented about the subject of coffee.
Is coffee kosher?
Not any coffee, but Kopi-Luwak or Civet cat coffee.

Kopi Luwak | Luwak Coffee | Civet Cat Coffee | Civet Coffee | Cat Poop Coffee
Kopi Luwak - Wikipedia

Civet Cat Feces
After about 24 to 36 hours the coffee beans eaten by the palm civet cat are defecated. In most parts of the world excrement from wild animals is considered waste. But in Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines civet cat feces are seen as gold. This is because the coffee beans departed the civet’s digestive tract almost unaffected, but as noted in the previous article, some fermentation during the digestion process occurs in the beans. According to scientists, this adds to the special flavor of the coffee made from civet cat beans. Today, these coffee beans are a luxury good and sold all over the globe. It is better known as kopi luwak or civet coffee. Due to its rarity, cat feces coffee is also the world’s most expensive coffee.

Are we talking about cud, or fecal matter, does the civet cat have cloven hooves????
You can see the appropriateness of why I have chosen you for this task, so please cast your collective expert eyes over it, not that I can afford to drink this stuff!

I’ll go halves with you if you want to invest in one of those cats and a sack of coffee beans.... we could be the new Starbucks! Who wouldn’t want to drink boiled cat crap?

• Haha
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
My understanding and explanation is post 43. If you aren't satisfied with that I can't help you and I don't owe you anything. This is not your thread or your OP.
There is nothing in that post that even mentions the Hebrew word for cud, let alone gives the etymology.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The bible says the rabbit chews the cud, not the feces.

And the Bible is wrong.

Cud is material brought from the stomach back up through the esophagus to the mouth for additional chewing. Rabbits do not do this. Argue all you want, what rabbits do can't be classified as chewing cud.

Your attempts to redefine words to mean what you want just so you can claim the Bible is correct are very obvious and not convincing.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Feces is 'waste'. Rabbit cud isn't waste.
Whatever it is called today it is the same thing as a 'cud' in ruminants, regardless of it's 'route'.
No, what rabbits eat is not the same thing as cud.

Or do rabbits make vocalizations based on nerve signals from their feces?

• Haha
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And the Bible is wrong.

Cud is material brought from the stomach back up through the esophagus to the mouth for additional chewing. Rabbits do not do this. Argue all you want, what rabbits do can't be classified as chewing cud.

Your attempts to redefine words to mean what you want just so you can claim the Bible is correct are very obvious and not convincing.

That aside, the point was that such animals are/were unclean to the Israelites. You could then argue that since the 'turd' isn't really a 'cud' that the rabbit is ok to eat. Is that where you're going?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing in that post that even mentions the Hebrew word for cud, let alone gives the etymology.

The etymology in Hebrew for the word as used for the rabbit is the same as is used for ruminants.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That aside, the point was that such animals are/were unclean to the Israelites. You could then argue that since the 'turd' isn't really a 'cud' that the rabbit is ok to eat. Is that where you're going?

No, I'm pointing out that when the Bible says that rabbits chew the cud, it is wrong. It makes a statement that is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Science says that rabbits DO chew cud?

Oh, I gotta see this. Go on then. Show us this "science".

Science likens what they do to ruminants. A distinction with a small difference.

• Haha
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Feces is 'waste'. Rabbit cud isn't waste.
Whatever it is called today it is the same thing as a 'cud' in ruminants, regardless of it's 'route'.
No, it isn't.

This is now how desperate you are to find one itty bitty thing in the bible that you can claim has been "proven"?

I guess ignoring WHY rabbits have to eat things that have traveled through their digestive tract in the first place is just nothing you want to deal with..

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Species within the Lagomorpha (rabbits, hares, and pikas) produce two types of fecal pellets:
This process serves the same purpose within these animals as rumination (cud-chewing) does in cattle and sheep.[9]

Could we say that for God's purposes in describing clean and unclean animals to His people this description would be quite accurate? I think it would.
They chew/gamar, their food more than once but don't eat them like you can those with a split hoof.
All sounds pretty desperate, to me.

• Agree
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So it would seem that in the Hebrew language and according to God, whether this ball of undigested roughage is regurgitated into the mouth or taken in by the mouth it is the same thing, an undigested ball of roughage that passes back through the digestive system to further break it down.
Cool, so no matter what the process, it is all God-good.

But one has to wonder why the Great Designer, in His infinite Wisdom and Power, made it so only certain of His amazing creations had to puke back into their mouths or eat their not-feces in order to get the nutrition they need to survive. Couldn't He have just spoken a gene for an enzyme that breaks down 'roughage' into existence?

Panda pretty much only eat 'roughage', yet they don't eat their poop nor do they puke it back into their mouths.

Cool example of the unfalsifiability of creationism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Your opinion is certainly justified, based on what I post on the forums. But know this; these forums are my playpen, not my workshop. ;)
Right, if you say so. I'm sure your 'work' is so much more sensible.

Had a similarly self-absorbed creationist on another forum a few years ago claim that all of the mistakes he made (and had been corrected by those with relevant knowledge) were all made on purpose, because when we corrected his errors and showed him to be ignorant, it somehow made us look bad. Curious if you will be trying that face-saving joke at some point... I mean, it didn't work for him, but he sure thought it did.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The etymology in Hebrew for the word as used for the rabbit is the same as is used for ruminants.
So you're aware that the etymology has to do with things coming back up the throat? Are you now going to claim that rabbits defecate through the throat?

Man, you guys make the weirdest claims.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So you're aware that the etymology has to do with things coming back up the throat? Are you now going to claim that rabbits defecate through the throat?

Man, you guys make the weirdest claims.

:scratch: ?

Upvote 0