Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
how do you know that? are you a historian, or you've studied in depth about his writing?

There are two writings attributed to St. Clement of Rome, 1 Clement and 2 Clement. Of these only 1 Clement is considered to have been authored by Clement. 2 Clement is a later work, long after Clement's death. So while we often still call the work 1 Clement, it is the only genuine Clementine work. This isn't merely what modern scholars say, this is what early Christian writers also say, for example the Church Historian Eusebius of Caesarea writes that there is only one recognized work from Clement of Rome, his epistle to the Corinthians (aka 1 Clement).

"But it must be observed also that there is said to be a second epistle of Clement. But we do not know that this is recognized like the former, for we do not find that the ancients have made any use of it. And certain men have lately brought forward other wordy and lengthy writings under his name, containing dialogues of Peter and Apion. But no mention has been made of these by the ancients; for they do not even preserve the pure stamp of apostolic orthodoxy." - Eusebius, Church History, Book 3, Ch. 38

Eusebius here references what are known as the Clementine Romance, works of late religious fiction (think religious fanfiction from antiquity).

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
how do you know that? are you a historian, or you've studied in depth about his writing?

I am an ordained minister who studied Patristics in seminary. Indeed, Patristics, Church History, Liturgiology, Eastern Christianity, and the study of heresies, particularly Gnosticism, and the related field of weird ancient or well established (that is to say, pre-Renaissance) religions derived from Christianity or closely related to it, such as the Iraqi Mandaeans who follow John the Baptist, and the Yazidis and certain crypto-Christian Sufi sects like the Alevi, are my four favorite subjects. I also did very well in the study of the history of the Bible and its canonization. Unfortunately the seminary I studied at was a liberal seminary for a mainline denomination which is only somewhat liturgical, so I would say most of my knowledge on these subjects I acquired afterwards, since about half the struggle was to avoid nausea at the wacky things liberal professors of theology would come up with.

Upvote 0