Dec 8, 2007
✟829,083.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You’ve been here 2 yrs, I’ve been a year longer than Mark, know what has transpired in that time and am not lying, so refrain from the condemnation of anyone’s opinions. Some good advise not usually taken but should be.

Thanks Cassia,

No worries; we discuss stuff at length all the time, and Liturgist and I are on the same page way more often than we disagree. It's all good. :)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,083.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You could be right, but that wasn’t the kind of experience and reason I had in mind. I am extremely opposed to critical approaches to scriptural interpretation, and to schisms and sectarianism. So if you think the Wesleyan Quadrilateral actually puts us in danger of it, I really want to know why, because if you are correct, it is a view I want to disavow myself of. I had considered it a fuller version of the Anglican Scripture, Tradition, Reason model.

So please, if you could elaborate, I really want to understand your perspective on this.
It is a slippery slope to employ personal experience to interpret Scripture, and the same goes for reason an logic. What we are seeing more and more over the last number of years are people and even denominations putting more and more emphasis on experience and less and less on confessions of faith and traditions. The United Church of Canada is virtually "universalist", some Franciscans are as well, as are many anglicans; likewise lots of other Christians. Things that the Bible clearly state as "sin", are now OK because their theology allows for experiential interpretation which, through the application of reason applies various criticisms to interpret and apply scripture to everyday life. Few Anglicans know what the 39 articles contain; few liberal Lutherans know what their confessions state, or even learn the catechism. The ELCA/ELCIC have removed the Athanasian Creed from their Hymnals and service books. In many Churches it is now a free-for-all; ask any two people specific questions about doctrine, and it would be rare not to ge two completely different answers.

Are we not warned that the wisdom of God is foolishness to men?

Mark

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,083.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why do modern-day Calvinists insist on breaking the the ninth commandment for any preacher or theologian who disagrees with their theology, by falsely accusing them of Pelagianism?
Making others look less righteous, so they can feel puffed up.

Upvote 0