United States
✟20,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have trouble regarding psychopaths or sociopaths and how it relates to salvation? I have always been a firm believer in that everyone is born with a conscience, the bible backs me up on that belief. Well, supposedly psychopathic individuals don't have a conscience, and simply lack empathy. I can believe that everyone is born sinners but I can't wrap my head around that some are born full blown evil and they are destined for hell, when they can't help how they act. I think when someone engages in sinful behavior over a course of time, eventually they will sear their own conscience and finally is molded into the perfect image of a psychopath or sociopath. Especially when as children we can become heavily influenced and affected in a negative way if we are brought up in a very unloving environment. Could there be more to it than meets the eye, as we all know there is a spiritual reality and an ongoing war for man's souls. Christ died for everybody, even those who fall into the worst category. But how can these damaged people ever come to salvation when their mindset is set on their own self destructive path?

Are people truly born evil despite everyone having the image of God within them?Supposedly these people are unreedemable and unreachable, is it because they are of the devil? Or they are predestined to become this way?

Reactions: Sarah G

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Well, supposedly psychopathic individuals don't have a conscience, and simply lack empathy. I can believe that everyone is born sinners but I can't wrap my head around that some are born full blown evil and they are destined for hell, when they can't help how they act. Are people truly born evil despite everyone having the image of God within them? Supposedly these people are unreedemable and unreachable, is it because they are of the devil? Or they are predestined to become this way?

Nowhere in the DSM 5 does it say that psychopathic individuals and sociopathic individuals have no conscience.

No human is un-redeemable.

What Are Personality Disorders?

In the DSM 5, psychopathy and sociopathy fall under Cluster B of Personality Disorders.

Antisocial personality disorder: a pattern of disregarding or violating the rights of others. A person with antisocial personality disorder may not conform to social norms, may repeatedly lie or deceive others, or may act impulsively.

DSM-V offers new criteria for personality disorders

Antisocial/Psychopathic types have inflated grandiosity and a pervasive pattern of taking advantage of other people.

How to Tell a Sociopath from a Psychopath

Sociopaths tend to be nervous and easily agitated. They are volatile and prone to emotional outbursts, including fits of rage. They are likely to be uneducated and live on the fringes of society, unable to hold down a steady job or stay in one place for very long. It is difficult but not impossible for sociopaths to form attachments with others. Many sociopaths are able to form an attachment to a particular individual or group, although they have no regard for society in general or its rules. In the eyes of others, sociopaths will appear to be very disturbed. Any crimes committed by a sociopath, including murder, will tend to be haphazard, disorganized and spontaneous rather than planned.

Psychopaths, on the other hand, are unable to form emotional attachments or feel real empathy with others, although they often have disarming or even charming personalities. Psychopaths are very manipulative and can easily gain people’s trust. They learn to mimic emotions, despite their inability to actually feel them, and will appear normal to unsuspecting people. Psychopaths are often well educated and hold steady jobs. Some are so good at manipulation and mimicry that they have families and other long-term relationships without those around them ever suspecting their true nature.

When committing crimes, psychopaths carefully plan out every detail in advance and often have contingency plans in place. Unlike their sociopathic counterparts, psychopathic criminals are cool, calm, and meticulous. Their crimes, whether violent or non-violent, will be highly organized and generally offer few clues for authorities to pursue. Intelligent psychopaths make excellent white-collar criminals and "con artists" due to their calm and charismatic natures.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Everyone has traits that set them back in one way or another. It's not impossible to overcome them, it's just more difficult.

I agree with Wayholka.

Overcoming psychopathy is not impossible.

Overcoming sociopathy is not impossible.

I believe that psychopaths and sociopaths can be saved by Jesus Christ if they truly repent of their sin and sins....and if they trust in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I agree with Wayholka.

Overcoming psychopathy is not impossible.

Overcoming sociopathy is not impossible.

I believe that psychopaths and sociopaths can be saved by Jesus Christ if they truly repent of their sin and sins....and if they trust in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord

But often they'd be incapable of feeling any empathy or compassion and thus no desire to get "saved" because of how God made their brains.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
But often they'd be incapable of feeling any empathy or compassion and thus no desire to get "saved" because of how God made their brains.

CrystalDragon, I respectfully disagree.

Psychopathy is the result of genetics, but God is NOT to blame for the actions of psychopathic individuals.

Every individual, every human being makes choices in his or her life.

Individuals with a predisposition to psychopathy can choose to resist/fight against his or her predisposition to psychopathy.

Although individuals with a predisposition to psychopathy have brains that are predisposed to poor impulse control and poor control of their emotions, this does not necessarily mean that individuals with a predisposition to psychopathy are 100% evil....this does not mean that individuals with a predisposition to psychopathy are automatically predestined by God to go to Hell.

Although individuals with a predisposition to psychopathy must overcome their genetic tendencies and although individuals with a predisposition to sociopathy must overcome their childhood trauma and history of physical/emotional abuse, every single human being makes choices.

Ultimately, individuals who are eternally separated from God make their own choice to be eternally separated from their Creator/Heavenly Father.

How to Tell a Sociopath from a Psychopath

The cause of psychopathy is different than the cause of sociopathy. It is believed that psychopathy is the largely the result of “nature” (genetics) while sociopathy is more likely the result of “nurture” (environment). Psychopathy is related to a physiological defect that results in the underdevelopment of the part of the brain responsible for impulse control and emotions. Sociopathy, on the other hand, is more likely the product of childhood trauma and physical/emotional abuse. Because sociopathy appears to be learned rather than innate, sociopaths are capable of empathy in certain limited circumstances but not in others, and with a few individuals but not others.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can believe that everyone is born sinners but I can't wrap my head around that some are born full blown evil and they are destined for hell, when they can't help how they act.
I understand and experience that we humans can not help ourselves. 2 Corinthians 3:4-5

Psychopaths and sociopaths are more advanced in their sin ways than others. But in sin all humans are like clocks. The principles which make a wristwatch tick are the same as what make a grandfather clock tick. But our trick can be to make it seem like a serial habitual predator psycho is so different than we are in our selfish ways. But the basics are the same.

Therefore, I mean, if you get to understand your own ways of ego and sin, this can make you able to basically understand any evil person. And have compassion and hope for the person, since you have found how God has corrected you > if God has been successful in correcting you, then He is able to change any evil person to be and love like Jesus; from your own failures and sin problems, you can feel for any other person and have compassion, then, with hope for any person, at all >

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

I think when someone engages in sinful behavior over a course of time, eventually they will sear their own conscience and finally is molded into the perfect image of a psychopath or sociopath.
2 Timothy 3:13

Could there be more to it than meets the eye, as we all know there is a spiritual reality and an ongoing war for man's souls.
Our Apostle Paul says there is "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience." (in Ephesians 2:2)

Christ died for everybody, even those who fall into the worst category.
Jesus suffered and died on the cross with hope for any evil person, at all. Jesus is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. He does not only take away the sins, but the sin in our nature which makes us all able to do the sins. The solution is the same for every one > take away the sin and cure the nature with God's love.

There are plenty of tickers who do not know how to love. But they all are not equally alarming. But what makes them tick to be selfish is basically the same.

But how can these damaged people ever come to salvation when their mindset is set on their own self destructive path?
People who argue in their marriages are self-destructive against how they could become in God's love, and their bad example is violating their children so it is possible that the children will not know how to love. This bad example of parents could be more deeply damaging than what a predator might do to a child. And staying busy with pointing at predators could be a way of being in denial about how they themselves have been hurting their own selves and children.

And there are people who violate themselves by means of food abuse.

And there are people who can get along only with their pets, instead of taking on the challenge of learning how to love and relate with people. This is very deeply destructive to how they could become in God's love which makes us strong enough and sensitive and sensible enough to relate in love with any and all people.

And there are excitement seekers who so keep going after yet another challenge, but they do not deal with the most worthwhile challenge of finding out how to submit to God and please Him and relate in His love as family with His children while also caring for any and all sinners. And, likewise, psychopaths can be trying to get excitement > they can consider what they do to be challenging and entertaining . . . but missing out on how interesting it is, and specially beneficial, to take on the challenge to learn how to love.

And there are people who are unforgiving. Their unforgiveness keeps them from enjoying God's love where God's forgiveness lives. While they feed on their unforgiveness, they miss out on how they could be in God's love; and, often enough, psychopaths are not being forgiving and this way is helping to keep them deeply degraded so they do not know how to love.

Are people truly born evil despite everyone having the image of God within them?
If babies were born angels, how come every one has gone into sin????? Ephesians 2:2

Supposedly these people are unreedemable and unreachable, is it because they are of the devil?
Whenever I have done wrong things, I often have thought I was being smart. And there is the ability of being in denial. But God is able to get through to us. Hebrews 12:4-11, I understand, encourages us all to actively seek our Father for His correction. There always is correction which He knows we need, and God is able to succeed in us. So, if I am failing, I likely am doing my own so-called effort which might even be designed to fail so I then can excuse myself to keep indulging in my selfish pleasures.

Or they are predestined to become this way?
I think Romans chapters nine through eleven, taken as is, can give you more than any human or group has been teaching about this. But do not limit yourself to the predestination issue. But, for one example, I feed on how God's ways are "past finding out" > Romans 11:33 >

Our Apostle Paul says that predestination is connected to God's ways which are "past finding out" (Romans 11:33). But from this I see how "God is love" and so the ways of real love are "past finding out" ! ! ! :pray::groupray::hug::groupray::wave::prayer:

I can submit to how God's love has me becoming and loving, and rest and ride in His ways, even if I can't figure them out, in sharing and caring as family with my lady friend and other Jesus people.

But if I take things into my own hands and try to use charm and intimidation and intelligence and control to get others to do what I want . . . these are ways which also make a psychopath tick.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God did NOT make them that way, any more than God created babies with severe birth defects. It is a product of the fall.

Upvote 0