Questions on the Byzantine Catholic Churches!

RomanRite

Roman Catholic - FSSP
Jun 2, 2012
✟15,922.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. Do Byzantine Catholics pray the Rosary, or do they use prayer ropes?
2. What would be some differences between the Byzantine Rite liturgy and the Latin Church Roman Rite Ordinary Mass?
3. What traditions do the Byzantine Churches practices that the Latin Church does not.

4. My last question is why do Byzantine Catholics cross themselves opposite from Latin Rite Catholics?

God Bless

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟16,309.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
1. Some of us do but it is not part of our tradition, we do have a shorter chain of beads with a cross used to say the Jesus prayer, but it not that common.
2. I am not very familar with any of the Latin masses so can't answer that well.
3. Some of the more obvious differences : we don't have confirmation, our infants recieve Communion as soon as they are baptized we recived the Euacharist in the form of yeast bread soaked in wine on a spoon, when we bow to front of the church unpon entering and leaving we bow at the waist not on one knee, we don't kneel during the Divine Liturgy, we do have some other services durin Lent that we kneel at.
4. I don't know why either.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
1. Do Byzantine Catholics pray the Rosary, or do they use prayer ropes?
Either or; or both. Some Byzantine Churches pray a group rosary before Divine Liturgy; there are a few by me that do this. I think one is a Ukrainian Catholic parish.

2. What would be some differences between the Byzantine Rite liturgy and the Latin Church Roman Rite Ordinary Mass?
There is a lot more bowing, reverence, depth, repetition in prayers. Lots of Icons and incense.

3. What traditions do the Byzantine Churches practices that the Latin Church does not.
We have pre-sanctified liturgies every Friday during Great Lent. We have more Fasts. Our fasts are generally stricter than the very lax modern-Roman fasting rules. I.E. One meal per day, no meat or fish products at all.

4. My last question is why do Byzantine Catholics cross themselves opposite from Latin Rite Catholics?

God Bless

I think perhaps so? I could never remember. I always mix myself up and cross myself the wrong way anyways. I've kinda given up trying to remember and I just cross myself.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,302,413.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Oh dear - let me please correct one wee slip up now before it goes any further

Fran said
we don't have confirmation, our infants recieve Communion as soon as they are baptized

Our little ones at Baptism are received fully into the Church with the 3 Sacraments of Initiation - Baptism - either by pouring or immersion , Chrismation [ confirmation ] and Holy Communion. The children Receive Communion thereafter whenever their parents approach the chalice with them

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,302,413.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Fasting is very different from the Latin Church - and we know what is the ideal - but we do what we can and is permitted by our priest - this can vary from person to person . There are 4 fast periods a year.

We do not normally discuss how each individual fasts .

Virgil - you forgot the bells !! We have bells on our censors :)

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟51,795.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I may not be a Byzantine Rite Catholic for I am a Roman Rite like you there Roman Rite-san, their priests most of the time face the altar and often does incensing. They also have those two and three candles to bless the people. These represent Christ's dual nature, the Divine and the Man, and the Holy Trinity (dikaidron and trikaidron respectively, excuse me if I spelled it wrong).

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Fasting is very different from the Latin Church - and we know what is the ideal - but we do what we can and is permitted by our priest - this can vary from person to person . There are 4 fast periods a year.

We do not normally discuss how each individual fasts .

Virgil - you forgot the bells !! We have bells on our censors :)

I did! There are twelve bells; however, one has no 'clanger', as it represents the unfaithfulness of Judas Iscariot.

Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟16,309.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh dear - let me please correct one wee slip up now before it goes any further

Fran said

Our little ones at Baptism are received fully into the Church with the 3 Sacraments of Initiation - Baptism - either by pouring or immersion , Chrismation [ confirmation ] and Holy Communion. The children Receive Communion thereafter whenever their parents approach the chalice with them

Oh yes, this is true we have chrismation instead of confirmation. I think the process of confirmation is very valuable and I wish we had something like it in our church. We do things traditionally and I respect that about our church but I think making definate decison as a adult, well, teenager at least, to become a member of the Catholic Church after more eduction of on what it entials intstead of someeone deciding for us would be beneficial. My son was baptised, chirsmated and recieved his first communion in April at 10 months old, we couldn't have it done until his adoption was finalized, that is not a good time to do it, he screamed his head off and through out it and they must be completely naked, the super huge towel he was wrapped in kept slipping, I wish he could have at least worn a diaper, it was not fun, everyone still talks about it, it was a very spirtual beutiful process but also tragically comical at the same time father tried to fully imeares him in the water but he was too big, he settled for pouring water over his head. He was sleeping when it came time for communion so our priest gave it to him after liturgy, holding him while he he recieved our Lord for the first time filled my heart with joy, I am so glad I had that experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟51,795.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Azure - the Trikiri and Dikeri [ not sure of my spelling either ] are not normally used by our Priests , but the Hierarchs for giving Blessings

Yeah! Those! *googles* aha! Proper spelling finally found!

Dikirion and trikirion.

Our Heirarchical Masses never used any of those (Unless there will be a hybrid Roman-Byzantine Rite be created out there.) which is something unique with the Byzantine Rite Catholic Churches.

Upvote 0
Jun 19, 2012
Gray, GA
✟15,430.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
They also kiss things. A lot!

Depending on the Church, some have Antidoron, which is part of the original sacramental loaf that wasn't used. The Lamb (host) is cut out of it and the rest is blessed but not consecrated, and it can be given out to visitors!

There are liturgical fans used in some rites called ripidia... i think...

There's a big Iconastasis (compare with rood screens that still exist in some Latin Churches, as well as more loosely to Communion rails which separated the altar from the people) which has huge icons of saints and angels and Christ, symbolizing how the Saints are worshiping with us in heaven. It has doors in a lot of places which open and close at certain parts of the liturgy.

Usually no organ or instruments at all, just plainchant, but some do have organs (I know Armenians like Organs but they aren't byzantine)

As for the sign of the cross, there's different significance for both left to right and right to left. I think you can find some info on it here:

Sign of the Cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
For the OPs #4 question I think I can answer it though John the Roman has provided a link in case I get it wrong.

The two variants of signing the cross, Eastern and Western. In both cases we say: "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost". However, the actions itself has a deeper meaning than that.

The Eastern variant is actually the original method where you hold your first three fingers into a single point while the last two is placed on your palm. This symbolizes the Holy Trinity and the Two Natures of Christ. This is used by all Eastern Rite Churches (Catholics and non-Catholics alike). Then you start from the forehead, then to your stomach, then right shoulder then left shoulder. This represents the Father sending his one and only Son onto earth, where he will separate the sheep from the goat (a symbolism for judging the righteous from the wicked I presume). If I am not mistaken this is exclusively used by Byzantine Rite Christians (again, Catholics and non-Catholics alike).

The Western variant is a slight modification which was approved by one of the Popes named "Innocent" where you spread out your fingers. This symbolizes the five wounds suffered by Christ during his crucifixion. This is used exclusively by the Roman Rite Christians as well as some of the Protestant derivatives. Then you start from the forehead, then to your heart, then left should then right shoulder. This represents the Father sending his one and only Son to us where in his name we can cross from our misery/hades/hell to paradise/heaven. This is used pretty much by every Christians regardless of Rites save for the Byzantine Rite Christians (for the last time, Catholics and non-Catholics alike).

I hope this was of some use to you.

Upvote 0

Irish Melkite

Melkite Greek-Catholic
Dec 30, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟1,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Eastern variant is actually the original method where you hold your first three fingers into a single point while the last two is placed on your palm. This symbolizes the Holy Trinity and the Two Natures of Christ. This is used by all Eastern Rite Churches (Catholics and non-Catholics alike). Then you start from the forehead, then to your stomach, then right shoulder then left shoulder. This represents the Father sending his one and only Son onto earth, where he will separate the sheep from the goat (a symbolism for judging the righteous from the wicked I presume). If I am not mistaken this is exclusively used by Byzantine Rite Christians (again, Catholics and non-Catholics alike).

The Western variant is a slight modification which was approved by one of the Popes named "Innocent" where you spread out your fingers. This symbolizes the five wounds suffered by Christ during his crucifixion. This is used exclusively by the Roman Rite Christians as well as some of the Protestant derivatives. Then you start from the forehead, then to your heart, then left should then right shoulder. This represents the Father sending his one and only Son to us where in his name we can cross from our misery/hades/hell to paradise/heaven. This is used pretty much by every Christians regardless of Rites save for the Byzantine Rite Christians (for the last time, Catholics and non-Catholics alike).

Not entirely correct ...

Sign of the Cross:

Right to Left - Byzantine and Chaldean Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Old Ritualist Orthodox and Catholics; Assyrians, Chaldean Assyrians, and Ancient Church of the East

Left to Right - Latin, Oriental, Maronite, and Syro-Malabarese Catholics, Knanya Catholics and Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox

Many years,

Neil

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not entirely correct ...

Sign of the Cross:

Right to Left - Byzantine and Chaldean Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Old Ritualist Orthodox and Catholics; Assyrians, Chaldean Assyrians, and Ancient Church of the East

Left to Right - Latin, Oriental, Maronite, and Syro-Malabarese Catholics, Knanya Catholics and Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox

Many years,

Neil

I stand corrected!

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The can be very much a people that keeps themselves to themselves
As I thought. I watched a documentary and a short film on them; the former about an Old Believer community that had settled in the plains of Canada, the other about communities that had settled in Alaska.

Upvote 0