Kansas City
✟8,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello! I am a Catholic student and for my theology class I must gain insight from an Eastern Orthodox person on the following questions:

1. How do you view the Roman Catholic Church and its unity or lack of unity with your church?
2. What do you think of the Filioque?
3. What do you think of the teaching on Purgatory?
4. What do you think of the liturgy of the West?
5. What do you think of Rome's claim to primacy?
6. What do you find beautiful or distinctive about your own church?
7. What do you hope for the future concerning the unity of Christians?

Elias Mims

May 2, 2019
Utah
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello! I am a Catholic student and for my theology class I must gain insight from an Eastern Orthodox person on the following questions:

1. How do you view the Roman Catholic Church and its unity or lack of unity with your church? --With sadness, but the result of the Bishop of Rome attempting to impose his "indisputable" will and authority over this equals, the bishops of the East.
2. What do you think of the Filioque? -- An erosion, however unintentional, of the Trinity as co-eternal and consubstantial. To EO, it is not a minor issue but fundamental.
3. What do you think of the teaching on Purgatory? -- a post-schism invention of Rome, along with the (more recently ignored by Latins) Limbo. Also, a teaching that led directly to the abuses of indulgences and the Protestant Reformation.
4. What do you think of the liturgy of the West? -- While containing some forms and rituals of the East, it has unfortunately been allowed to drift away from the foundations provided by the Church Fathers.
5. What do you think of Rome's claim to primacy? -- Rome formerly was honored as first among equals in honor, but not in dictatorial authority. Dogma, doctrine and canon law are the domain of truly ecumenical councils, of which there have been seven.
6. What do you find beautiful or distinctive about your own church? -- It's adherence to the gospel, traditions and Church Fathers in doctrine, liturgy and beliefs. (We are far from perfect, but we remain the faith handed down once, and for all, 2000 years ago by Christ and his apostles).
7. What do you hope for the future concerning the unity of Christians? -- Outside a miraculous move of the Holy Spirit, there is no human prospect for this . . . unless Christians rediscover the foundations of their faith, untarnished by the actions of willful men, and those today who seek to sacrifice the truth for cultural convenience.

Upvote 0