Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Inspired by this thread:

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/27161.html

Shimon,

I've always been interested in Messianic Judism.

I'd like to hear what difference there are if any, there are between those that are Messianic Jews compared to your run of the mill denominational Christianity.

I know we all believe that the Messiah & Savior is Jesus Christ but are there any fundamental differences?

Thank's, :)

Michie

Michie:

Thanks again for the warm welcome! :)

Basically, the main difference between Messianic Judaism and Christianity is that Christians believe that Yeshua "freed us from the need to obey the Torah" while Messianic Judaism holds that Yeshua freed us to walk *in* it.

In other words, Yeshua died for our transgression of the Torah, He didn't die so that we could turn around and start transgressing it all over again.

We observe the Sabbath and worship on the seventh day (Saturday instead of Sunday).  We observe the biblical ("Jewish") Festivals such as Passover, Shavuot, Yom Kippur and Sukkot, rather than celebrate Christmas and Easter.  We observe the kosher laws, we wear kippah and tallit, we learn Hebrew, and recite the traditional Jewish prayers.  Basically, we resemble a traditional Jewish synagogue in every way, the only difference being that we recognize Yeshua as Messiah.

You had said that you live 90 miles from the nearest Messianic congregation, that's no problem -- I learned most of what I've learned through online resources before I ever attended a Messianic congregation for the first time.  There is wealth of information on the internet.

One *very* good site is IsraelNet.tv:

http://www.israelnet.tv

If offers video programming 24 hours a day which you can watch for free.  It's kinda like watching TV -- you have to catch the show you want to watch at the time designated on their programming schedule.  They also offer access to their archives where you can watch any program you wish at the time of your choosing, but it requires a subscription membership.  The subscription is only $6.95/month so it's very reasonable, and help to support the ministry.

Another wonderful Messianic ministry is "First Fruits of Zion:"

http://www.ffoz.org/index_mk.html

They offer a wide variety of materials, books, videos, tapes, and a magazine subscription named "Bikurei Tziyon."  They have many sample articles available for free on their website, and you can subscribe to the magazine online, or order any of their other materials online.  You can even start your own Messianic study group using their "HaYesod" and "Torah Club" materials.

Below are a few websites that I've found that offer a number of articles and essays which you can view for free:

Messianic Jewish Alliance of America:

http://mjaa.org/

The Messianic Gathering Place:

http://www.tmgp.net/

The Olive Tree:

http://www.saltshakers.com/olive/rtoz.htm

Yeshua The King:

http://www.yeshuatheking.org/

Lion and Lamb Ministries (offers several audio teachings as well as a monthly newsletter):

http://www.lionlamb.net/

Michael Rood's "New Moon Publishing:"

http://www.6001.com/index.htm

CJF Ministries:

http://www.cjf.org/

Cross Talk Television Ministries:

http://www.crosstalk.org/

Jewish Jewels:

http://www.christianity.com/partner/0,,77690,00.html

Zola Levitt Ministries (offers online discussion forums):

http://www.levitt.com/

If you have any other questions, just ask.  I'm happy to help. :)

Shimon

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
<DIV>
Originally posted by Shimon
Basically, the main difference between Messianic Judaism and Christianity is that Christians believe that Yeshua "freed us from the need to obey the Torah" while Messianic Judaism holds that Yeshua freed us to walk *in* it.
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Every Christian I know hold the Bible as God's Word and strives to be obedient.&nbsp; With that in mind, how&nbsp;do you come to the conclusion that&nbsp;"Christians believe that Jesus freed us from the need to&nbsp;obey the Law?"</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
We observe the Sabbath and worship on the seventh day (Saturday instead of Sunday).&nbsp; We observe the biblical ("Jewish")&nbsp;Festivals such as Passover, Shavuot, Yom Kippur and Sukkot, rather than celebrate Christmas and Easter.&nbsp; We observe the kosher laws, we wear kippah and tallit, we learn Hebrew, and recite the traditional Jewish prayers.&nbsp; Basically, we resemble a traditional Jewish synagogue in every way, the only difference being that we recognize Yeshua as Messiah.
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Do you believe that the observance of these things are salvitic issues?&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for your answers,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>God bless</DIV>

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Shimon,
I've no wish to offend you. I have a great deal of respect for Messianics. I've had dialogues with Messianics on other forums who did not pass jugdment on Christians the way you seem to be doing.

I'll echo Ref's question: Do you consider these issues to be salvitic? (i.e. Is salvation dependant on these issues?)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you Shimon!

I'm so glad to have you here posting on the board. :)

Let me ask you this, you said that "Basically, the main difference between Messianic Judaism and Christianity is that Christians believe that Yeshua "freed us from the need to obey the Torah" while Messianic Judaism holds that Yeshua freed us to walk *in* it."

When Jesus/Yeshua said He came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it, etc.
Matthew 5:17

And where in Luke 16:17 where it is said it is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the law?

What is the Messianic Jew's take on these verses?

Does this have anything to do with the way Messianic Jews see their freedom to walk in the ways of the Torah?

Upvote 0

unitedistand

Crying for the Bridegroom
Nov 21, 2002
a house
Visit site
✟443.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Michie,

Luke 16:17 is pretty self explanitory. Yahweh's rules are eternal.

and when Yashua(Jesus) had said that he wasn't to break the Torah(law), but fufill it. "In order to fulfill something, you have to do it, participate in it, walk it out."

I really suggest you do more in-depth study on the site I sent you, Go to the nav bar and go to "Sabbath • Torah • Tanakh". This should be useful to a lot of questions about matters of Judism.

Upvote 0
Reformationist:

Every Christian I know hold the Bible as God's Word and strives to be obedient.&nbsp; With that in mind, how&nbsp;do you come to the conclusion that&nbsp;"Christians believe that Jesus freed us from the need to&nbsp;obey the Law?"

I've already pointed it out to you several times already, I'm beginning to wonder how many more times I'm going to be required to do so.&nbsp; You've already told me that you do not observe the Sabbath, you do not observe the kosher laws, and you don't even know what the biblical festivals (e.g. Sukkot, Shavuot, etc) are.&nbsp; You are not being taught Torah.&nbsp; God commanded us to observe these commandments and by not doing so, you are transgressing His commandments.

The Torah is the very *foundation* of all scripture.&nbsp; Every book of scripture was tested against the Torah to determine whether or not it was the Inspired Word of God or not.&nbsp; Any book which contradicted Torah was not accepted as Inspired.

In literal terms, the Torah refers to the first five books of the bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy).&nbsp; These books contain the 613 mitzvot (commandments) of the Torah, but you are not being taught these commandments and are not being taught to obey them.&nbsp; In general terms, the Torah refers to *EVERY* book of the bible because every book teaches Torah -- anything that taught against Torah was thrown out.

&nbsp;

Knight:

I am not "judging" anybody.&nbsp; I am not saying I'm "a better Christian" than anyone else.&nbsp; I'm simply pointing a very serious doctrinal error of Christianity.&nbsp; By teaching against the Torah, you might as well be teaching that one doesn't have to accept Yeshua as their Savior, because it amounts to the same thing.&nbsp; Obedience of the Torah commandments are the method by which we accept Yeshua as our Savior.&nbsp; It is the Marriage Covenant.

Israel transgressed God's commandments of the Torah for 2000 years before the birth of Messiah, and it has continued to transgress His commandments for the 2000 years *after* His death.&nbsp; Man hasn't learned anything in 2000 years and he hasn't learned anything in 6000 years.

Rome considered any&nbsp;nation of people&nbsp;that would not accept the "superiority" of Roman culture to be "inferior."&nbsp; Jews were held in contempt.&nbsp; Constantine was anti-semitic and hated the Jews, and so when he declared Christianity to be the "official" religion of Rome, he certainly wasn't about to adopt what he considered to be "Jewish superstition."&nbsp; Instead, he forced Christians and Jews to take this oath:

Constantine's Creed:

...As a preliminary to his acceptance as a catechumen, a Jew "Must confess
and denounce verbally, the whole of Hebrew people, forthwith declare that with a whole heart and sincere faith he desires to be received among the Christians. Then he must renounce openly in the church all Jewish superstition, the priest saying, and he, or his sponsor if he is
a child, replying in these words:

”I renounce all customs, rites, legalisms, unleavened breads and sacrifices of the lambs of the Hebrews, all of the other feasts of the Hebrews, sacrifices, prayers, aspersions, purifications, sanctifications, propitiations, and fasts and new moons, and Sabbaths, and superstitions, and hymns and chants, and observances of the synagogues, and the food and drink of the Hebrews; in one word, I now renounce absolutely everything Jewish, every law-abiding custom and if afterwards I should wish to deny and return to Jewish superstition, or shall be found eating with the Jews or feasting with them or secretly conversing with them and condemning the Christian religion instead of openly confuting them and condemning their vain faith, then let the trembling of Cain, and the leprosy of Gehazi cleave to me, as well as the legal punishments to which I acknowledge myself liable, and may my soul be set down with Satan and the devils.

Furthermore, I accept all customs, rites, legalisms and feasts of the Romans, sacrifices, prayers, purifications with water, santifications by Pontius Maximus, propitiations and feasts, the New Sabbath – the Sol Dei (Sun Day) – all new chants and observances, all foods and drinks of the Romans in the New Roman Religion.”

&nbsp;

Michie:

Let me ask you this, you said that "Basically, the main difference between Messianic Judaism and Christianity is that Christians believe that Yeshua "freed us from the need to obey the Torah" while Messianic Judaism holds that Yeshua freed us to walk *in* it."

When Jesus/Yeshua said He came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it, etc.
Matthew 5:17

And where in Luke 16:17 where it is said it is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the law?

What is the Messianic Jew's take on these verses?

Does this have anything to do with the way Messianic Jews see their freedom to walk in the ways of the Torah?

Yes, we view Matthew 5:17-18 as very important verses.

Moses taught the children of Israel that if any "prophet" or "dreamer of dreams" came along, performing signs and wonders, and yet taught them to abandon the Torah, they were to recognize him as a false prophet / false Messiah.&nbsp; Then, along comes Yeshua, performing signs and wonders, and Christianity claims that He "freed us from the Torah."&nbsp; If that were the case, then Christianity has just made the best possible case that Yeshua *cannot* be the Messiah.

But, of course, I believe that Yeshua *IS* the Messiah, and therefore I recognize that He could not possibly have taught against obedience of the Torah commandments.&nbsp; In Matthew 5:17-18, He shows us exactly that:&nbsp; He states, emphatically that He had *NOT* come to abolish the Torah, but to fulfill it.&nbsp; "Fulfill" is not a synonym for "abolish," "render obsolete," or "do away with."&nbsp; Yeshua died because of our transgression of His commandments, not so that we could turn around and start transgressing His commandments all over again.

Shimon

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've already pointed it out to you several times already, I'm beginning to wonder how many more times I'm going to be required to do so.

You're not "required to do so" once.&nbsp; Thanks for the time you did spend sharing your beliefs with me.

God bless

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reformationist:

I take it that I have offended you in some way. If so, it was unintentional and I do apologize.

Shimon

Of course.&nbsp; No problem.&nbsp; I extend the same apologies.&nbsp; Sometimes the written word comes across more harsh than we mean things.

God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hector Medina

Questioning Roman Catholic
May 10, 2002
San Antonio,Texas USA
Visit site
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Shimon,

I have intresting questions for you.

Do you at all recognize anything special about Sunday observance,the day Christ came back,if not why?

And why don't you observe Easter and/or Christmas???

Jesus Christ and Yeshua are the same name/thing in diffrent languages right?

In Christ(Yeshua),

Hector

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
Just wanted to say that NOT all Messianics are the same and the doctrines can differ. There are Fanantical and passive Messianics.
Thankfully my best friend is a passive one.
I know of one church that speaks in tongues and one that does not...just to give you an example of the differant doctrines.

GEL

Upvote 0
Hector Medina:

Do you at all recognize anything special about Sunday observance,the day Christ came back,if not why?

No, because I don't believe that he died on "Friday" and rose "Sunday." I believe He died on Wednesday and arose on Saturday.

And why don't you observe Easter and/or Christmas???

No, I don't observe Christmas or Easter. December 25th is actually the birthday of Tammuz, the illegitimate son of Nimrod. Babylonian sun-god worship began with Nimrod, where the people worshipped Nimrod as a god. After his death, they claimed that he rose to heaven and became the son. They claimed that his wife was impregnated by the rays of the sun, and gave birth to Tammuz.

The Egyptian sun-god Ra was born on December 25th. Baal was born on December 25th. Molech was born on December 25th. The Roman sun-god Mithra was born on December 25th.

If there is one day in the year in which I can guarantee you that Yeshua was *not* born, it's December 25th.

Easter is also mired in Babylonian sun-god worship. The wife of Nimrod was claimed to have come down out of heaven in a giant egg which hatched open, and out came the Goddess of Fertility. She then turned a chicken into an egg-laying rabbit to proclaim her divinity.

I could go into a lot more detail, but you get the idea. :)

If you're interested in learning more about the origins of Christmas and Easter, Michael Rood provides an excellent audio teaching which you can listen to online for free.&nbsp; The teaching is called "The Feasts of the Lord" and can be found here:

http://www.michaelrood.com/teaching.htm

Jesus Christ and Yeshua are the same name/thing in diffrent languages right?

Yes, the name "Yeshua" is simply the Hebrew name for "Jesus." I got into the habit of using the name "Yeshua" out of respect for my Jewish brethren. The name "Jesus" leaves a very bad taste in their mouth because so many Jews have been killed and persecuted over the centuries in the name of "Jesus."

Green-Eyed Lady:

Just wanted to say that NOT all Messianics are the same and the doctrines can differ. There are Fanantical and passive Messianics.
Thankfully my best friend is a passive one.
I know of one church that speaks in tongues and one that does not...just to give you an example of the differant doctrines.

This is very true. A common joke among Messianics is that there is a "messy" part to "Messianic." :)

Some congregations, such as my own, has an ordained rabbi, while others are nothing more than a home bible-study. There is no organized leadership. Messianic Judaism is not so much a "denomination" as it is a "movement."

Shimon

Upvote 0

Hector Medina

Questioning Roman Catholic
May 10, 2002
San Antonio,Texas USA
Visit site
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Shimon,

OK,

This IS serious,very serious.

I have always liked hebrew doctrines since its the one and only original "real thing".

I'm going to take bible and theology in school and I'm deep into religion so hearing this really could change my faith.

I MEAN,THIS MAKES A BIG DIFFRENECE!!!

Apparently I knew nothing about Messanic Judism :(

Does any of your belief contradict anything in the New testament(if your Bible is the same as ours)???
Might this have to do with changes in calenders???

Is it our belief that conflicts the Bible???

Hector

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Hector Medina:

This IS serious,very serious.

I have always liked hebrew doctrines since its the one and only original "real thing".

I'm going to take bible and theology in school and I'm deep into religion so hearing this really could change my faith.

I MEAN,THIS MAKES A BIG DIFFRENECE!!!

Apparently I knew nothing about Messanic Judism

Heh! Well, I hate to say it, but Messianic Judaism and Catholicism are polar opposites in almost every way. The two are so diametrically opposed to each other, that I'm kinda nervous about what kind of reception I can expect from other Catholics on this board. That being said, it amazes me that virtually half of my congregation are formerly Catholic.&nbsp; I can kinda understand it, though, because Messianic Judaism is steeped in as much tradition as Catholicism.&nbsp; I've known Catholics who attended Baptist services before, and they thought it felt "stale."&nbsp; No chance of that in a Messianic congregation. ;)

Does any of your belief contradict anything in the New testament(if your Bible is the same as ours)???

No, we use the same Bible, with both "Old Testament" known as the "Tanakh," and the "New Testament" known as the "B'rit Chadasha."&nbsp; We don't hold the books of the Apocrypha as "Inspired." &nbsp;I prefer to call the "New Testament" the "Apostolic Scriptures" because the word "testament" comes from the Latin word "testamentum" meaning "Covenant." Since I don't hold the "Old Testament" and "New Testament" to be the "old" and "new" covenants, referring to those books with these terms is very misleading. It was Jerome, who translated the Hebrew scriptures into Latin (the Latin Vulgate) and divided them in this manner. Jerome had studied with the Hebrew scholars and was extremely anti-semitic. He was quoted as saying this about the Jewish synagogue:

"If you call it a brothel, a den of vice, the Devil's refuge, Satan's fortress, a place to deprave the soul, an abyss of every conceivable disaster or whatever you will, you are still saying less than it deserves."

Jerome claimed to have "proven" the Jews are incapable of understanding the Scriptures, and that they should be severely persecuted until they profess “the true faith.”

Might this have to do with changes in calenders???

Well, it's helpful to know and understand the Hebrew calendar so that we can know where we are on God's Prophetic time-clock (and, of course, to know the proper days and seasons for observing the biblical festivals, such as Passover and Sukkot).

Is it our belief that conflicts the Bible???

Well.... yes. I believe that the early church founders were not trained and instructed in Torah, and therefore completely misunderstood what the Apostles were teaching. Yeshua was a rabbi -- a Torah-teacher, and his apostles likewise taught the Torah. One must remember that the early church founders were formerly pagan, and they fell back on their previous pagan beliefs because they were not trained and instructed in the Torah.

noticed in you profile that you live in Austin.
I live in San Antonio.

Now this is even more serious since we're both Texans!

Heh!&nbsp; We're just a stone's thrown away from each other. :)

Shimon

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Shimon,

Do you observe all 613 laws of Judaism?

Also you say that Christians today should observe such things as the kosher laws, correct? But in such passages as 1st Corinthians 8 we find that early Christians at times ate things that had been sacrificed to idols, yet we know that in Deuteronomy 14:3 that such things were not allowed. So how is it that the early Christians could stray from certain laws but not us?

Be Well,

Jesaiah

Upvote 0
Jesaiah:

Do you observe all 613 laws of Judaism?

Yes, we observe all of the commandments that are possible to observe. Some commandments, such as the ones regarding temple sacrifices, cannot be observed since their is no Temple. Others can only be observed while in the land of Israel.

I'm always curious why I'm asked this question. What commandments do you think Traditional Judaism observes? ;)

Let's put it this way: Suppose your spouse sends you to the grocery store with a list of items to pick up. Your spouse tells you to pick up a loaf of bread, a carton of milk, a carton of eggs, and a sack of flour. You get the store and pick up the bread, milk, and eggs, and then discover that the store is out of flour. Do you then put all the items back on the shelves and return home empty-handed, and say to your spouse: "Well, since I couldn't carry out *all* of your instructions, I didn't carry any of them?"

How do you expect your spouse would respond? ;)

Also you say that Christians today should observe such things as the kosher laws, correct? But in such passages as 1st Corinthians 8 we find that early Christians at times ate things that had been sacrificed to idols, yet we know that in Deuteronomy 14:3 that such things were not allowed. So how is it that the early Christians could stray from certain laws but not us?

Yes, we should observe the kosher laws.

Basically, there are two issues we need to keep in mind with regard to Paul's teachings about meat sacrificed to idols.

One issue is that oftentimes, meat that had been sacrificed to an idol was placed back out on the open market for sale. A person had no way of knowing whether or not a particular piece of meat had been offered to an idol or not. The believers didn't know what they should do in this case, as they did not want to inadvertantly break the commandment unwittingly.

Secondly, the Jews considered that there were only two kinds of people in the world: Jews and Pagans. Traditional Judaism held that, for a Gentile to become a member of the Abrahamic covenant, he had to be circumcised and become a "Jew." Once he became a Jew, he had to maintain his "Jewish" status by observing *all* of the rabbinic halachah, including the Written Torah as well as the Oral Torah. Since the apostles were teaching that a Gentile did not have to obey the *Oral* Torah (not the Written Torah), the Jews were uneasy, because they had no way of knowing that a Gentile believer had made a solid break with their idolatrous past.

The pagan temple was the center of the Gentile community, just as the Jewish Temple was the center of the Jewish community. Oftentimes, feasts and other events were held in the Temple courtyard without having any direct connection to temple activity (i.e. no sacrifices taking place). Gentiles felt that they could participate in such events without engaging in any idolatrous activity, but the Jews were made very uncomfortable because they had no way of knowing if the Gentiles were engaging in idolatry or not. This was the reason behind the Jerusalem Council's decision in Acts 15: they requested that Gentiles obey *some* of the Oral Torah in order to prove to their Jewish brethren that they had made a solid break with their idolatrous past. All four "laws" given in Acts 15 dealt with issues of idolatry.

This was Paul's response:

1 Corinthians 10:27: If some unbeliever invites you to a meal, and you want to go, eat whatever is put in front of you without raising questions of conscience. But if someone says to you, "This meat was offered as a sacrifice," then don't eat it, out of consideration for the person who pointed it out and also for conscience's sake -- however, I don't mean your conscience but that of the other person.

Paul is saying that if you know that the meat has been sacrificed to an idol, then don't it. But if you don't know, then eat it without raising questions of concience.

Does that help?

Shimon

Upvote 0