Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The three main issues that confront unbelievers today are at the centre of how the Holy Spirit works in the world. He has come to convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment to come.

What this means is that He will show unbelievers that there are Ten Commandments which God expects everyone to follow exactly, without a single fault. One misdemeanor keeps a person right out of His kingdom for eternity. The Scriptures says that anyone who seeks to keep the Law of God has to keep it without a single fault. The Holy Spirit comes to show unbelievers that they cannot achieve that, so they are caught up in their own sins. The Scripture says that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Then the Holy Spirit shows that because unbelievers are sinners, they are not righteous (acceptable to God). "There is none righteous, no, not one." says the Scripture.

And if that is not enough to rock unbelievers out of their false complacency and security, the Holy Spirit shows that there is a Day of Judgment to come where all unbelievers have to stand before God and give an account for the way they lived their lives. The Scripture says, "It is appointed unto men once to die and after that comes the Judgment", and "We must all give an account of our lives before God."

When this message is given in the power of the Holy Spirit, it causes unbelievers to cry out, "What must we do to be saved", because they know that they are sliding down toward Judgment and they can't see any way out. This is why the Scripture says that "men's hearts are failing them for fear, knowing that that the Day (of Judgment) is approaching.

Only then, will the gospel of Christ will be good news for them and they will want to know more about Jesus and what He has done for them and How they can be saved from Judgment and condemnation through Him.

Upvote 0

Tokono

Jan 30, 2018
U.S.
✟15,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Private
I. I think it was either C.S. Lewis of Charles Spurgeon who said that on judgement day there will be two groups of people: those who say to God, “Thy will be done” and those to whom God says, “Thy will be done.” We have the choice to reject God, and in doing so we will get exactly what we want…an eternity apart from Him. (Matthew 22:1-14)

II. See above.

III. Yes, there are some who use scripture as a club instead of a heart, and that’s wrong. Christ taught us to share the truth with grace. Unfortunately, some seem to miss the grace part. Some also seem to miss the point that homosexual behavior is not its own special class of sin. That notwithstanding, we are called to spread the Gospel. If you saw a loved one standing on a rock ledge that was crumbling beneath their feet, would you not say something? Would you not try to call them off the ledge before it was too late? How much more so when the stakes are eternal?

IV. We believe that God created the entire universe and everything in it. Why then would we not believe He is capable of preserving His word?

I./II./III. My response this is simple. A child is not born knowing right from wrong, it is something they are taught - and it usually involves the premise of consequences. These consequences usually entail things that we can comprehend, however, eternity is not something we can comprehend. So to further this analogy, to be sentenced to an eternity of punishment is the same as sentencing a child to an eternity of punishment for further engaging in behavior. I not questioning whether eternal punishment is Gods word, I more so questioning the morality of such a judgement and it is something I continue to ask the father on a day to day basis. I just find it wrong. Punishment may be warranted, but eternity is overkill.

IV. My response this is also simple, God also gave us free will and a choice. And with this choice, and free will of men there is a large margin of error. Time and time again, people have used his word to justify heinous behavior, and unfortunately his word is continued to be spread by mortals with this same margin of error.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I./II./III. My response this is simple. A child is not born knowing right from wrong, it is something they are taught - and it usually involves the premise of consequences. These consequences usually entail things that we can comprehend, however, eternity is not something we can comprehend. So to further this analogy, to be sentenced to an eternity of punishment is the same as sentencing a child to an eternity of punishment for further engaging in behavior. I not questioning whether eternal punishment is Gods word, I more so questioning the morality of such a judgement and it is something I continue to ask the father on a day to day basis. I just find it wrong. Punishment may be warranted, but eternity is overkill.

IV. My response this is also simple, God also gave us free will and a choice. And with this choice, and free will of men there is a large margin of error. Time and time again, people have used his word to justify heinous behavior, and unfortunately his word is continued to be spread by mortals with this same margin of error.
So you believe that when Jesus said that unbelievers will be put out into outer darkness where their worm will never die and the fire will never be quenched, He was in error and that He didn't mean that unbelievers will find themselves in that place for eternity?

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for another enlightening read! I just want to add in a few things: one, I am not saying that the actions of men should go unpunished. What I am saying is whether the punishment fits the crime, or in this case, sin. Eternity is a notion that we cannot comprehend, and continuously punishing someone for an action that they are bound to be repentful for once they realize the err of their ways is wrong. I choose to disagree with this tenant, and while I can accept that that may be as God decreed - but that doesn't make it any less wrong. Two, God gives us a choice in theory, but if we are to accept the notion of eternal paradise/damnation. Then what we really have is, follow my every whim and worship me or die a horrible death repeatedly. This doesn't seem like much of a choice, does it? After all, most sane people would rather be hypocritical unto themselves than risk eternal damnation. Additionally, since we cannot comprehend the true extent of the consequences set forth by God - then the intentional nature of sin is in question.

en what we really have is, follow my every whim and worship me or die a horrible death

God requires none of the above.God requires you to believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose from the dead.simply believe and the rest will follow.Did you ever consider that there may be truths out there you are unaware of.God could show you some stuff you don’t know if you will trust him.....with that new knowledge you could conceivably becom a person that “ wants” to follow His whims and worship Him.It worked for me.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
en what we really have is, follow my every whim and worship me or die a horrible death

God requires none of the above.God requires you to believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose from the dead.simply believe and the rest will follow.Did you ever consider that there may be truths out there you are unaware of.God could show you some stuff you don’t know if you will trust him.....with that new knowledge you could conceivably become a person that “ wants” to follow His whims and worship Him.It worked for me.

What we have to be careful about is the doctrine that teaches that once we have been forgiven and converted to Christ it doesn't matter how we live, and that some have taken that doctrine and used it to give them the licence to continue a sinning lifestyle. It actually doesn't work that way. Forgiveness and conversion depends on total repentance from all willful sin and the determination to live a holy life before God. In Ephesians, Paul gives the list of the sinful living that the Ephesians once did as pagans before they turned to Christ. He says that "you were once like that, but now...implying that they were no longer like that. What he is saying that the outcome of turning to Christ is that they had turned right away from their previous sinful lifestyles and now were cleansed and brought into the kingdom of God and were living holy lives. John Calvin maintained that a professing Christian who did not live a holy life was not a genuine convert to Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The three main issues that confront unbelievers today are at the centre of how the Holy Spirit works in the world. He has come to convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment to come.

What this means is that He will show unbelievers that there are Ten Commandments which God expects everyone to follow exactly, without a single fault. One misdemeanor keeps a person right out of His kingdom for eternity. The Scriptures says that anyone who seeks to keep the Law of God has to keep it without a single fault. The Holy Spirit comes to show unbelievers that they cannot achieve that, so they are caught up in their own sins. The Scripture says that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Then the Holy Spirit shows that because unbelievers are sinners, they are not righteous (acceptable to God). "There is none righteous, no, not one." says the Scripture.

And if that is not enough to rock unbelievers out of their false complacency and security, the Holy Spirit shows that there is a Day of Judgment to come where all unbelievers have to stand before God and give an account for the way they lived their lives. The Scripture says, "It is appointed unto men once to die and after that comes the Judgment", and "We must all give an account of our lives before God."

When this message is given in the power of the Holy Spirit, it causes unbelievers to cry out, "What must we do to be saved", because they know that they are sliding down toward Judgment and they can't see any way out. This is why the Scripture says that "men's hearts are failing them for fear, knowing that that the Day (of Judgment) is approaching.

Only then, will the gospel of Christ will be good news for them and they will want to know more about Jesus and what He has done for them and How they can be saved from Judgment and condemnation through Him.

You have described the repentance that leads to salvation.To “ turn “ from your old way of thinking that you are “ good enough” to the Truth that you are a wretched sinner who is a absolutely without hope, that
Needs a Savior.If one has not ever felt in his heart—-“ Lord have mercy on me a sinner”, I seriously doubt that they have truly repented.I think this is what anybody who wants to show God their works has omitted from the Salvation experience.I “ know” we have nothing to offer and and that is why I appreciate the Shed Blood of Christ —- it is our only hope.Faith in the Blood...plus nothing for
Salvation.....works will follow and will lead to blessings in this life and the life to come.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You have described the repentance that leads to salvation.To “ turn “ from your old way of thinking that you are “ good enough” to the Truth that you are a wretched sinner who is a absolutely without hope, that
Needs a Savior.If one has not ever felt in his heart—-“ Lord have mercy on me a sinner”, I seriously doubt that they have truly repented.I think this is what anybody who wants to show God their works has omitted from the Salvation experience.I “ know” we have nothing to offer and and that is why I appreciate the Shed Blood of Christ —- it is our only hope.Faith in the Blood...plus nothing for
Salvation.....works will follow and will lead to blessings in this life and the life to come.
I am coming to a more complete understanding of what Jame taught about faith and works. James is not talking about keeping the Law in order to be saved. Law is taught as part of the preaching of the Gospel to unbelievers to bring them to the point where they know they are hopeless sinners Once the person has turned to Christ for salvation, he or she is no longer subject to having to keep the Law in order to be saved. But this doesn't mean that the Law stops applying. It is just used in a different way. Now that the guilt and punishment has been taken away through faith in Christ, the works that James talks about is showing the fruits of true repentance, that the old works of the flesh as listed in Galatians 5 and Ephesians are abandoned, and there is a determined attempt to live a holy life. This is not sinless perfection because we still have the desires of our flesh to deal with, but our new heart mourns over our shortcomings and failures, and we confess our sins when we succumb to temptation so that we can keep short accounts with God. These are the works that James teaches in order to prove our faith in Christ.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Those that love To quote James when it comes to “ faith without works is dead “ are strangely silent when James talks about sins of omission.When they list their daily sins to be forgiven of when they go to bed do they mention all 613 commandments that they broke.James said if you break one commandment you break them all.

Btw Oscar.....excellent posts!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Those that love To quote James when it comes to “ faith without works is dead “ are strangely silent when James talks about sins of omission.When they list their daily sins to be forgiven of when they go to bed do they mention all 613 commandments that they broke.James said if you break one commandment you break them all.

Btw Oscar.....excellent posts!
That's the case in point. That is why there is a curse on those who try to keep the Law in order to be righteous before God. It is not the Law that is at fault, it is the people who try and keep it. They can't, and their failure is what brings the curse on the people. Jesus was the only Person who was able to keep the Law without a single fault. He became the perfect sacrifice for sin. Therefore, those who turn to Him are set free from the Law to make them righteous before God. But they cannot continue in sin after the grace of God in Christ has set them free from the justifying demand of the Law. Paul says, "God forbid! How can those who are dead to sin, continue in it?"

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
just because it is decreed does not make it right.
It depends who is making the decree.
If it is made by a holy, perfect God then it is right and we are wrong to question it.
Judgement of behavior with God standards is valid, only when one is free from sin
Yes we are sinners and make mistakes, but we can also make right judgements.eg. The 10 commandments says sex out side of marriage is always totaly wrong. So we can make a judgement about that, provided we are not also committing that same sin.
We can do this because we aren't makeing the judgement on our rules or opinions about what is right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hey there,

I have to say I am intrigued by your responses, primarily Number 3. I do not have a rebuttal on this topic, but I do see how the focus would coincide with sensationalism - and the focus of Christians. Number 1, now I too see how this can be used as an excuse to reject him and lead their own righteousness - however I am not saying these people should not be punished. Again, its the eternity factor I disagree with not the punishment. Number 2 coincidences with this. Number 4, who are we to decide what constitutes inspired scripture and what constitutes historical documents and their accurateness? What is someone made a mistake? (Also, how does one begin to even determine the authenticity of the book of Gensis.)
I'll just respond to number 4 in order to make a point that is concise enough without providing a response that requires thousands of words.

I would say there is enough information available for a person to make up their mind about the Bible from both sides of the debate. There are enough people like Bart D. Ehrman and Daniel B. Wallace who have thoroughly studied the texts and reach different conclusions, we can compare those and make up our minds. However the reason it is hard to take a stance is processing all the information and also what kind of person the individual is as a personality type. It's no simple task to organize the available, let alone find all the information and study it. Everybody absorbs information and learns at different rates, the time needed can take years for some. Add to that the tendency of people being conscientious towards other people views without offending them also gets in the way. The mistake being made about the Bible is many people on both sides of this issue don't understand what they're reading yet and numerous things get in their way of doing so.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey there! I would like you to explain a bit more by what you mean by "It might also not hurt to begin again and take a more existentially prone position to the Christian faith in a way similar to Blaise Pascal." Also, I do consider myself Christian, I just disagree with modern day interpretation of his teachings and written word. Whether I will suffer consequences for them on the day of judgement is left to be determined; I don't take the stance of disbelief, I take the stance of wanting to learn the "why". And truthfully, I think only God may have those answers.

Hi Tokono,

Basically, what I mean is that you may want to approach the Christian faith as an mode of existential exploration rather than as a specific destination. Let go of the idea that you have to arrive at a certain point to have faith in Christ. In reference to this, I've pointed to Blaise Pascal who was both a mathematician/scientist and a Christian philosopher. And by this, I essentially mean to say that you can operate from a philosophical and spiritual point in your own life, making that your mode of exploration into the faith (see Pascal's Pensees #693 below), recognizing that it's ok to chase after God/Jesus and feel like you haven't arrived yet (as many feel the same). You can be free to ask questions along the way, but as Pascal says, it is your safest "bet" to also put yourself in the proximity of the best that the Christian Church has produced during the last nearly 2,000 years of its presence in history.

Feel free to ask questions as they come to mind.

693 – Fulfillment of Prophecies

• The fulfillment of prophecies proves the validity of Christianity.
When I see the blindness and the wretchedness of man, when I regard the whole silent universe and man without light, left to himself and, as it were, lost in this corner of the universe, without knowing who has put him there, what he has come to do, what will become of him at death, and incapable of all knowledge, I become terrified, like a man who should be carried in his sleep to a dreadful desert island and should awake without knowing where he is and without means of escape. And thereupon I wonder how people in a condition so wretched do not fall into despair. I see other persons around me of a like nature. I ask them if they are better informed than I am. They tell me that they are not. And thereupon these wretched and lost beings, having looked around them and seen some pleasing objects, have given and attached themselves to them. For my own part, I have not been able to attach myself to them, and, considering how strongly it appears that there is something else than what I see, I have examined whether this God has not left some sign of Himself. [<<<note: the realizations expressed here by Pascal are somewhat"existential"]

‑‑I see many contradictory religions, and consequently all false save one. Each wants to be believed on its own authority, and threatens unbelievers. I do not therefore believe them. Every one can say this; every one can call himself a prophet.

‑‑ But I see that Christian religion wherein prophecies are fulfilled; and that is what every one cannot do.”​

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lee11

Nov 10, 2017
melbourne
✟34,951.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Everyone,

Before I begin, let me say that I do accept the notion of God, and have been raised to believe in Jesus. However, there are a lot of things I do not understand or necessarily want to accept (though I don't have much of a choice if I want to be saved). I imagine that I will have lot to talk about during judgement day, if I get the chance!

P.S. I don't know if this is the right place for this topic - sorry if it's not.
-----

I. For the most part the Christian faith, encourages others to take part in worship and fellowship in light of the father - and by enlarge, seek forgiveness for your sins. Those that choose not to, well the bible is very clear when suggesting eternal damnation in a lake of fire. So called gnashing of the teeth, and torment beyond comprehension for all eternity (humans cannot comprehend eternity). This part in particular, though likely exacerbated by my Catholic upbringing did not sit well with me. Namely, what wrong doing is worthy of an eternity of suffering? Does the crime fit the punishment? Essentially, God is saying if you do not follow his way, which is your choice, you will suffer punishment beyond recompense. How is this different from a tyrant? Also there are a number of different religions worshiping a variety of deities, and these people by enlarge live subjectively "good" lives. However, because they may not accept the word of Christ they are doomed to eternal punishment?

II. Conversely, what action warrants eternal bliss? Does anyone deserve such a thing, no matter how good of a life you live?

III. I know this is a sensitive topic for many, and the good book is very clear on the matter (depending one's interpretation) that homosexuality is a sin. However, there are many sins the book speaks of, yet this one in particular beckons a lot of bigoted comments and animosity among members of the Christian faith. Whether or not it's sin, we are not here to judge others or damn them for it. It is their sin (if we are accepting it as sin) and it's there choice whether to abstain or participate in the practice. If there are consequences on the day of judgement, then it is theirs' to bare. Same as lying, wearing mixed fabric (old testament?), stealing, etc. On the point of marriage, which is more of a legal issue than a church issue - why waste energy in caring? Heretics will exist in all ages, but we're not targeting them (oh, there were the crusaders, yeah that was a thing). My point is, no one has a right to judge, yet Christians by enlarge seem to make a big deal of the matter.

IV. Christians refer to the bible for a lot of their scriptures, and practices. However, the bible is a heavily edited copy of scripture passed down by prophets. It doesn't even contain all of the scriptures as the book has a few that were taken out of it's contents. (Book of Esdras, Tobit, Judith, just to name a few.) Sure while we may accept that these prophets received their teachings and writings from God, are we going to attribute the same to the subjective action taken by the Vatican in 1684 when removing these other books?

Hi

1. How is God different from a tyrant or dictator?

God claimed he made the heavens and the earth, so he also created rules and boundaries for those that wanted to follow and serve him.

God also identified the rewards and consequences for obeying or disobeying his rules, to be fair and reasonable so people could choose which path they wanted to follow.

He also made it clear that it wouldn't be the tooth fairy judging your soul when we passed away, but the creator himself would reward or punish us according to the decision and path we chose.

Tyrants and dictators etc dont sacrifice their children's lives in place of our lives, But God sent his only son to take our place, so we could have the choice to follow his path and live or our own path and be held accountable for our thoughts words and deeds, thats the difference between Gods grace mercy and compassion and mans self serving nature.
2. what action warrants eternal bliss? & does anyone deserve such a thing, no matter how good of a life you live?

The story in Genesis identifies the creation of the world and Adam and Eves history of what happened in the garden of Eden.

Due to there transgression in the garden of Eden after eating from the tree of knowledge good and evil, there relationship with God was served and there mortal bodies become contaminated and they were subjected to sin sickness and death.

Another words they were not able to restore them selves back to there original state and relationship they had with God before the fall in the garden of Eden.

That is why God had to provide his people with a means of salvation through the OT with commandments to prevent his people from wilfully sinning and the tabernacle so they could offer up different sacrifices for their sins etc and fellowship with there God.

So people cant earn there salvation because they are only mortal in a corrupt body, so what you call good deeds is completely irrelevant to God, because we are contaminated and must be cleansed by sacrifice and redeemed by blood.

Thats why the commandments and tabernacle go hand in hand in the OT, and in the NT Jesus was our sacrifice and redeemed us by his blood and when we receive hear the good news and believe it.

We make a public declaration and repent, confess our sins and ask for forgiveness and we can have a born again experience and receive salvation, becoming the temple of God and transforming in our personal relationships with Jesus as we renew our minds in the word of God and become fruitful and effective for Jesus.

So unfortunately we cant earn our salvation and we didnt deserve Gods ultimate gift to us, his one and only son our King and Lord the name above all names, Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

3. Is homosexuality a sin?

All sexual immorality is sin not including any other forms of sin, fornication which is sexual relations between unmarried M & F, is 90% higher world wide than the 10 percent of practising homosexuals, in the world.

However regardless of the higher or lower percentage, both are exempt from entering heaven unless they repent and follow the teachings of Jesus.

As for Christians judging homosexuals or a range of other different sins, God will hold us accountable if our intention and motives, do not match the guidelines and boundaries of the teachings in the word of God.

Remember there is a difference between supporting and endorsing Gods point of view, when it comes to subjects relating to political correctness, and the teachings and context of biblical correctness.

Biblical correctness is followed first, and than maybe used as a guideline to challenge political correctness subjects.

But it is not an excuse to pass judgement on other peoples choices, people are free to excise there wills and live there lives as they please, within the confines of their legal obligations.

4. Can the incomplete and partial bible be accepted as the infallible word of God?

If the bible is just a fairy tale book like any other ordinary book, than it stands to reason that none of the information inside it can be true, and none of the promises and teachings can be relied upon or used because they are just made up stories like any fairly tale book.

Im sorry to disappoint you but if that was true accurate and correct, than there is no way any miracles could happen or any thing supernatural could or would submit to the name of Jesus.

It is absolutely impossible, because logic dictates that an complete or incomplete ordinary book, has no power, authority, or can offer readers any type of promise and guarantee that its contents are the inspired words of God.

However there are millions of testimonies word wide of people experiencing healings, and being set free from demonic spirits and people asking for prayer for a range of different needs and believing that God answered there prayers not because of mind of matter.

But because there was no logical, financial, or physical way etc, they could meet these necessities they needed divine intervention to help them in there time of need or crisis, and the promises and teachings of Gods word combined with prayer in Jesus name help them achieve this.

There is medical evidence of peoples miraculous healings after being prayed for in the name of Jesus, that the medical field can not explain, i can honestly testify to my own born again conversion.

When i repented, publicly confessed my sins and asked for forgiveness, i had a born again encounter and i didnt know anything about the bible or was religious, but i know what i experienced and i cant deny that.

My point is this, if the bible is just an incomplete fairy tale book then there cannot be 1 miracle or phenomenon attributed to the bible, because simply that is just not possible.

Another words when i cried out to God he answered my prayer regardless of my intelligence, theories, questions, or logic, it didnt matter if i limited God by my understanding or put him in a box.

He answered my prayer and is the reason why i am a christian today, peoples theories about the bible and any other question they may have regarding the bible, does not stop God from answering peoples prayers.

Thats why i know the promises and teachings in the word of God complete or incomplete does not limit or effect God.

It only affects our perception about God.

Peace.

Upvote 0