Questions for American Military

First off, I'd like to say "thank you" to the men and women of the United States military, but that's not what this thread is about. I just want to let you know I appreciate you, because what I have to say next may not seem like it.

I am a writer currently working on an apocalyptic novel. Part of my story involves mercenaries with a military background as antagonists to my main characters. They are mostly the "screwups" who were dishonorably discharged. As part of the protagonists, my main cast of characters interacts with a Special Forces team that is essentially "left for dead" after the government falls apart completely in the story.

Since I am disabled, I have never had the opportunity to be in the military. I'd like to ask some questions here, some of which might be offensive outside the context of what I've just explained. Of course, if you feel that I'm doing the military a disservice by portraying my characters this way, I value your opinions and will gladly discuss how I might be able to change my portrayals and still tell the story I have in mind.

Thank you for your time, and I hope some of you will be able to answer questions. If you would like, you may private message me with a note indicating you'd like a mention in the "acknowledgments" section of the book. As an example, here's my first question:

Is it a "magazine" or a "clip?"

Copperhead

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
✟208,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A magazine is a detachable "box" that hold any number of rounds of ammunition, and has a working spring mechanism for feeding rounds into the firearm as needed. A "clip" is a one piece, device that hold ammunition to be inserted into a firearm than has the spring and other functioning parts already in it. i.e. A "stripper clip" is a how ammunition is typically supplied to troops in the field. Usually in 10 round increments. A holder is placed over the lip of the magazine, and a stripper clip with ammunition inserted into the holder, then usually using a thumb or pressed up agains a hard surface, the rounds are pushed from the stripper clip into the magazine.

There was one rifle that the "clip" was part of the permanent functioning magazine built into the rifle, and that was the M1 Garand rifle which was the primary infantry weapon of WWII and Korea. 8 rounds were part of the "clip". The entire clip was inserted thru the top of the rifle and stayed in the rifle until the last round was fired, at that point, the clip was automatically ejected, and the soldier would insert another clip of ammunition.

Most times, we didn't use the full word "magazine". We generally called it a "mag". As in, "how many mags do you have?" If one wants to show their ignorance quickly to a reader with a military background, using "clip" in the wrong context will do it nicely.

Upvote 0

m551sheridan

Dec 18, 2012
Yakima Wa.
✟15,342.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A magazine is a detachable "box" that hold any number of rounds of ammunition, and has a working spring mechanism for feeding rounds into the firearm as needed. A "clip" is a one piece, device that hold ammunition to be inserted into a firearm than has the spring and other functioning parts already in it. i.e. A "stripper clip" is a how ammunition is typically supplied to troops in the field. Usually in 10 round increments. A holder is placed over the lip of the magazine, and a stripper clip with ammunition inserted into the holder, then usually using a thumb or pressed up agains a hard surface, the rounds are pushed from the stripper clip into the magazine.

There was one rifle that the "clip" was part of the permanent functioning magazine built into the rifle, and that was the M1 Garand rifle which was the primary infantry weapon of WWII and Korea. 8 rounds were part of the "clip". The entire clip was inserted thru the top of the rifle and stayed in the rifle until the last round was fired, at that point, the clip was automatically ejected, and the soldier would insert another clip of ammunition.

Most times, we didn't use the full word "magazine". We generally called it a "mag". As in, "how many mags do you have?" If one wants to show their ignorance quickly to a reader with a military background, using "clip" in the wrong context will do it nicely.
thank you Copperhead... we referred to them as the same way back in VN... I thought you were alluding to something else.

Upvote 0