Questions and veiws

malkin

Oct 20, 2004
✟396.00
Faith
Christian
Why is there so much jargon in Christianity? (eg. "worship", "witnessing", "predestination", "saved" - ok, I know what that one means, etc.) How can I find out what these terms mean? I think I see a gap in the "Christian Resource" market here! ;)

They don't seem to be in the Bible, or if they are, they are unjargonified - the meaning rather than the jargon.

Upvote 0

Tavita

beside quiet waters He restores my soul..
Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,581.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
Hi malkin, I think you will find these words in the bible, and maybe you could do a search to find out their meaning. You can download a free bible program from e-sword.com and download lots of bible versions into it for free. Do word searches and phrase searches, it has bible commentaries and dictionaries. Heaps. Maybe others know of different free downloads.
Worship, witnessing or witness, predestination, saved, they're all in there. The bible does have it's own language, and we need to study it to get the understanding of that language. Don't worry about another book on the crazy christian resource market, you can go straight to the source and learn God's Word direct.

Upvote 0
C

crashedman

Razzor,

The others are quite right. Even though you are at the age where your own sexuality is developing, it is a good idea not to get too serious about dating with the age you are at.

Don't listen to what your other chums might say about their sex lives and who they got with and when because it might sound 'cool'. I can tell you first hand that a lot of it is just bragging and bluster.

Only a very few guys are prone to losing their virginity at 13 and tend to regret it later on. I would suggest that any questions you might want to have regarding relationships you could discuss with your pastor or any youth leaders you might know.

I was one of those archetypal 'late developers' and didn't start seeing anyone seriously until I was 23 (though I went on the occasional date with some girls in my last year of school).

Dating isn't really the be all and end all of teen life as our popular culture might like to have you believe with a lot of the soap opera **** that clogs up our TV screens.

Just be patient, I'm sure that you'll find the right girl when you're ready for it. Hunting for love never brings about the right partner.

Crashedman

Reactions: Tavita
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

loribee59

Beautiful hearts and minds makes me swoon! :)
Mar 11, 2003
Keizer, OR
✟23,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
crashedman said:
Hunting for love never brings about the right partner.
Oh, man....that's DEEP. How soooo true! It never fails to amaze me that those LOOKING for love winds up with a partner that isn't right for them.

Thank you, Dario! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mamaneenie

Oct 30, 2003
Australia
✟18,646.00
Faith
Christian
RAZZOR said:
ok well u wanted some questions well u was wondering what do u think about dating please tell me everything u think makes a good realation ship and and how do u think u should be b4 u start dating
I wish I hadn't dated anyone until I met my husband. It would have saved me a lot of uneccessary heartbreak. (2 serious relationships before I met hubby, one was talking about marriage and that was awful when we broke up) This may sound old fashioned and not at all popular in society. But I believe that you should not "date" anyone unless you can imagine yourself marrying that person (meaning maybe you should wait until early 20s to date) That is what my husband did, I was his first girlfriend and I tell no lies here, that makes me feel so special.

That doesn't mean you can't be friends with girls and learn about what makes them tick, but maybe group outings and things like that would be good at this stage. Like joining a youth group and hanging out with some of the people there.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
pokinatcha said:
Well here's another question I thought I'd start...

In lord or the rings, what do you think the ring is symbolic of?

IMO
A ring is a symbol of binding. It has no end or beginning and establishes a total committment. In the case of the "One Ring", it was forged with the intent to have control over others. It bound it's wearer to the evil that such an arrogance manifests, for creation was created for liberty, yet liberty can only be found in truth.
As Christians the lesson we can learn from it is Jesus own words when He said...

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matt.6:21

What we bind ourselves to, that is give the most priority to, is established within our hearts. This will be what makes or breaks us.

peace

Reactions: inquisitor_11
Upvote 0

malkin

Oct 20, 2004
✟396.00
Faith
Christian
I thought the One Ring was symbolic of powerlust...

These are some questions that have been asked by non-Christians. I don't really have a proper, wordy, answer to them, so maybe someone can help me out?

How will believing what you do benefit me?
God started this whole mess, right? So what was His purpose in doing so?
What do I need saving from? How do you define salvation, precisely?
What is a christian? Can one God agree with all these different
'christian' faiths?
How can I have the freedom to choose whether or not I will be saved?

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
malkin said:
I thought the One Ring was symbolic of powerlust...

These are some questions that have been asked by non-Christians. I don't really have a proper, wordy, answer to them, so maybe someone can help me out?

How will believing what you do benefit me?
God started this whole mess, right? So what was His purpose in doing so?
What do I need saving from? How do you define salvation, precisely?
What is a christian? Can one God agree with all these different
'christian' faiths?
How can I have the freedom to choose whether or not I will be saved?

'Dun'no' is an answer. It might not be "wordy" but if it's the truth, then it's at least "proper". :)

Not sure what you mean by your first question but if someone asked me about obtaining "benefits", I'd be inclined to tell them.."when the universe revovles around you, I'll explain". (always was a cheeky s.o.b. ;) )

Satan started the mess. God's purpose is sorting it out. In a nutshell... Satan called God's reputation and character into question when he was judged and sentenced to the lake of fire for committing treason. So the Lord has set up a "courtroom" (planet earth) to prove once and for all He alone is God and worthy of all honour, power and glory.

You are saved from eternal death. All creation is dependent upon God for life. No God, no life. We are given Eternal Life. This is the life of God. It is perfect joy, peace, love, goodness etc. We are all born with biological life but we are without a spiritual life until we believe upon Jesus Christ. At the moment we believe we are adopted into the family of God and given Eternal Life. We become new creatures in Christ. Believers get to share in the very life of God.

A Christian is one who believes that Jesus is Lord and Saviour. However you might spend years as a Christian and only know Jesus as Saviour and come to understand that He is Lord much later in your walk. That is not uncommon. No, God cannot agree with all the different "faiths". He has given us His story in His Word. We must be constantly learning according to what is written and not according to what we think, feel or experience. In every generation God appoints teachers of His Word to help us come to the full knowledge of Jesus Christ.

You have the freedom to choose because God gives it to you. That is Grace. Adam was created with free will. He lost it in the Garden when he sinned and we all became subjected to that loss but God in His mercy ensures that each one of us is given the opportunity to know Him. He does this through the work of the Holy Spirit. The first chapter of Romans deals with this. There are different levels of God consciousness, for the average person it begins with the natural creation. We look at the "stars in heaven" and something stirs our soul. That is God at work, calling us to Him. We all have the choice to respond to that stirring in such a way that the Lord can reveal more of Himself to us or not. If we dismiss it as "indigestion"?.... well we make the Lord's job a little harder... not that anything is really too hard for Him. :)
In reality, it is ourselves who make it hard, because every time we reject the call of the Lord, a little more darkness creeps into our soul making it harder and harder to see the true Light.

All in all, don't worry if you don't have "proper and wordy" answers. You're job is to quietly be about your own business, growing in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. Be confident in the knowledge that God knows all things that will occur in your life and He has made every provision for you to be blessed through them. No matter what comes your way, from the ecstatic to the disastrous and everything in between, God has a plan to bless you.

peace

Reactions: malkin
Upvote 0