Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So I was brought up with the standard dispensationalist view of the End Times: pre-trib rapture and such.

However, I am no longer sure of what I think about eschatology, but am specifically interested in historic premillennialism.

If you are a historic premillennialist, would you mind answering a question:

I understand that historic premillennialits don't see a disctinction between Israel and the Church the way dispies do. What is your attitude to the modern state of Israel? Do you still think it has some significance to the end times, such as a mass conversion of the Jewish people?

This is where I get hung up. I feel like the existence of modern Israel forces me to be a dispensationalist and that it will still receive some of the promises prophecied in Scripture.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I was brought up with the standard dispensationalist view of the End Times: pre-trib rapture and such.

However, I am no longer sure of what I think about eschatology, but am specifically interested in historic premillennialism.

I understand that historic premillennialits don't see a disctinction between Israel and the Church the way dispies do. What is your attitude to the modern state of Israel? Do you still think it has some significance to the end times, such as a mass conversion of the Jewish people?

This is where I get hung up. I feel like the existence of modern Israel forces me to be a dispensationalist and that it will still receive some of the promises prophecied in Scripture.
As an X-DIspensationalist your very question was what led me out of it. What to make of geopolitical Israel? The answer is nothing. There is nothing more to be fulfilled only His second comming on the last day. Here were the steps:
1) It did not sit well with me that only one generation of Jews would suddenly come to the Messiah, what about those who have died generations before? Makes no sense.
2) How could any Christian support the building of the third temple in order to usher in the anti- Christ and decieve 2/3rds of the Jews and lead them to death!
3) How can there be two Covenants one for the Jews and one for the believers? Makes no sense! We are all in the New Covenant.
4) Why not replacement theology? Supersentionism simply replaces the Old Covenant with the New.

I could go on......
Blessings

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

So yes - Christ's return is pre-mill.

Dan 9 gives a 490 timelimit for Israel to choose one path or the other regarding the Messiah coming on His mission and being accepted by Israel.

In Rom 2 - we see this transition
26 Therefore, if an uncircumcised man keeps the righteous requirements of the law, will not his uncircumcision be counted as circumcision? 27 And will not the physically uncircumcised, if he fulfills the law, judge you who, even with your written code and circumcision, are a transgressor of the law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; 29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God.

Rom 10:
6 But it is not that the word of God has taken no effect. For they are not all Israel who are of Israel, 7 nor are they all children because they are the seed of Abraham; but, “In Isaac your seed shall be called.” 8 That is, those who are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God; but the children of the promise are counted as the seed. 9 For this is the word of promise: “At this time I will come and Sarah shall have a son.”

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,530.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Historic premillenialism actually can be recorded to the very early years of the Church. Perhaps what seems to be alluded to here is Dispensationalism, rather than Premillenialism. Dispensationalism can be traced to the early years of the nineteenth century in England and is commonly associated with John Darby and the Christians known as Plymouth Brethren.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
However, I am no longer sure of what I think about eschatology, but am specifically interested in historic premillennialism. If you are a historic premillennialist, would you mind answering a question: I understand that historic premillennialits don't see a disctinction between Israel and the Church the way dispies do.
Yes, there is no distinction between Israel and the Church. It's probably better to post your message in the Eschatology forum.

You can try, but you may not find many historic pre-Millennialists around as the historic beliefs seem to survive only in LDS and JW denominations. SDA view is quite distinct from both historic and dispensational beliefs.

Upvote 0