Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"For where two or three are gathered together in My name, there am I in the midst of them.” Matt 18"20

The context of the verses in question concern church discipline and judicial witness.

"the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment." Heb 6:2

This is talking about Jewish Christians who are being pressured by Jewish entities concerning the meaning/symbolism of these doctrines, and becoming confused due to their spiritual immaturity. The author/speaker is saying there's no point rehashing these issues over and over again, but rather, we should go forward onto more mature aspects of the faith.

So, while there is a doctrine concerning the laying on of hands, it's not outlining the purpose here.

Laying on of hands is usually to bless and one of authority such as Num 27:15–23, Deut 34:9.

Yet Jews and Christians differed on meaning/purpose... are you on the Christian side of this doctrine?

""And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied." Acts 19

... see my response below...

Very important:
"Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure." I Tim 5:2

So, reading for context here we see laying on of hands has to do with the appointment of church elders, which helps us also to see the context of Acts of the Apostles 19:4-7, and why Paul laid his hands only on 12 people while in Ephesus, though he was there 3 months preaching and teaching to far more numbers than that.

Also, when Peter was preaching about Jesus to Cornelius, friends and household, "While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word."

And this was proof to Jewish Christians that the Gospel of Salvation in Christ was for Gentiles as well as Jews.

Notice however, that occurred when they believed... they weren't Christian when the preaching / teaching began, but they were by the time it was through.

In conclusion, the verses you referred to teaches us that believers recieve the Holy Spirit when they believe in Christ for their salvation (they are sealed unto salvation when they believe), and laying on of hands is for the appointment of elders and must not be done hastily, lest you appoint those unworthy of the position.

None of which has anything to do whatsoever of the thread topic, which is posing a question to those of a denomination which you don't belong to, making you unqualified to answer it here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,669.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The context of the verses in question concern church discipline and judicial witness.

This is talking about Jewish Christians who are being pressured by Jewish entities concerning the meaning/symbolism of these doctrines, and becoming confused due to their spiritual immaturity. The author/speaker is saying there's no point rehashing these issues over and over again, but rather, we should go forward onto more mature aspects of the faith.

So, while there is a doctrine concerning the laying on of hands, it's not outlining the purpose here.

Yet Jews and Christians differed on meaning/purpose... are you on the Christian side of this doctrine?

... see my response below...

So, reading for context here we see laying on of hands has to do with the appointment of church elders, which helps us also to see the context of Acts of the Apostles 19:4-7, and why Paul laid his hands only on 12 people while in Ephesus, though he was there 3 months preaching and teaching to far more numbers than that.

And this was proof to Jewish Christians that the Gospel of Salvation in Christ was for Gentiles as well as Jews.

Notice however, that occurred when they believed... they weren't Christian when the preaching / teaching began, but they were by the time it was through.

In conclusion, the verses you referred to teaches us that believers recieve the Holy Spirit when they believe in Christ for their salvation (they are sealed unto salvation when they believe), and laying on of hands is for the appointment of elders and must not be done hastily, lest you appoint those unworthy of the position.

None of which has anything to do whatsoever of the thread topic, which is posing a question to those of a denomination which you don't belong to, making you unqualified to answer it here.

least they gave an answer...instead of pulling down another's answer what is your answer to my question?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
least they gave an answer...instead of pulling down another's answer what is your answer to my question?

I agreed with the first response - no. Simple answer.

As for "pulling down another's answer " you asked this question in a denomination specific form - not a debate forum - so answers are to be inline with the denomination's beliefs. All other posts are to be in fellowship.

What I presented in reply was an accurate understanding of those Scriptures, in the context they were written, which was a kindness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,669.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agreed with the first response - no. Simple answer.

As for "pulling down another's answer " you asked this question in a denomination specific form - not a debate forum - so answers are to be inline with the denomination's beliefs. All other posts are to be in fellowship.

What I presented in reply was an accurate understanding of those Scriptures, in the context they were written, which was a kindness.

i am not welcome here so am deleting my response.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
so just say no, as you said it's not a debate forum but you made this thread into one by pulling apart someone else's thoughts on my question.
I dont care which denomination people are just want peoples thoughts on my question.
sigh.

Yet you posted in a denomination specific forum.

If you want everyone's views perhaps post in the debate forums.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
do you think you can 'catch' an anointing from a person or group that God is very honestly using to extend His Kingdom, by visiting that group hoping to catch some of it.
Two passages that came to mind are where Saul is among the prophets,
1 Samuel 10
and
1 Samuel 19

Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0