Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How many of you Christians been called self-righteous?

And how many of you Christians been told that you weren't true Christians because you did not agree with someone?

How did you deal with it?

I haven't been called self-righteous, but I have people telling me that I am not a true Christian. I don't really believe that I am saved or anything, but that is for me to question, not them. I do call upon Jesus, well I just started to, but I still question my salvation.

How do I deal with people saying I am not a true follower of Jesus, even though I have a hard time believing that I am? I get mad at the entire body of believers. I feel attacked.

(I posted this in the ethics area, and I am not sure it belongs there. So, I posted it again on here. Hopefully I don't get in trouble).

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello buddy, Well persecution comes in many forms. Spirit and flesh are like oil vs water, So people who are living for the flesh feel threatened by us living by the Spirit and there is friction.
I would like to consult with you further on why you do not think that you are saved and I wanna help you so I will send a message so I don't derail or mess up this thread. :]

Upvote 0

justaconfusedgirl

Jul 7, 2018
South
✟16,176.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

And how many of you Christians been told that you weren't true Christians because you did not agree with someone?

I haven't been called self-righteous, but I have people telling me that I am not a true Christian. I don't really believe that I am saved or anything, but that is for me to question, not them. I do call upon Jesus, well I just started to, but I still question my salvation.

How do I deal with people saying I am not a true follower of Jesus, even though I have a hard time believing that I am? I get mad at the entire body of believers. I feel attacked.

(I posted this in the ethics area, and I am not sure it belongs there. So, I posted it again on here. Hopefully I don't get in trouble).

I havnt dealt with this personally but I would say that the best way to deal with it is the hardest way to deal with it..to ignore them and put your focus on surrounding yourself with your faith and with better people as much as possible. They are trying to test your faith, so ignoring them is the best way to show your faith and connection are strong. They may even be doing this simply because they can see how strong the connection is that you have and wish they could have the same but aren't sure how to deal with that

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I havnt dealt with this personally but I would say that the best way to deal with it is the hardest way to deal with it..to ignore them and put your focus on surrounding yourself with your faith and with better people as much as possible. They are trying to test your faith, so ignoring them is the best way to show your faith and connection are strong. They may even be doing this simply because they can see how strong the connection is that you have and wish they could have the same but aren't sure how to deal with that
We know how to fix this don't we Sister, I have messaged him, so lift us up in prayer. :]

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I learned a long time ago that just because someone doesn’t “act” like Jesus doesn’t mean they are not being renewed, it simply means that they are in a different season/journey. I also learned to give a window of opportunity to receive advice. For example, in my job every few months I ask my boss if he has some input, if I am doing my job right and if is there something I should change or improve. I think he appreciates that I am giving him a safe opportunity to speak into my life. I do the same thing with family and friends. My sister is the same way, she says she can hear your opinion but it doesn't mean she agrees, still we all give a safe opportunity to speak into our lives.

One time my spiritual father said to me that I was “self righteous” and another person said I was prideful. I did not like it, but when I grew up I realized they were seeing something I wasn't seeing, so I swallowed my pride and asked God to show me what they were seeing in me that I wasn’t. The Lord took me through a season where I realized I thought I was saved due to my actions, that meant I was prideful and I didn't have mercy for others. But that season gave fruit and now I can understand salvation and how everyone is on a different path.

If you are having problems with people saying you are self righteous, take that opportunity to check your heart. They might be right, they might be seeing something you are not, but don't forget to have mercy on yourself. Invite them to speak to you about what you don’t see, but keep in mind that they might be the ones who are judging wrong and they might be the ones with a problem, like lack of mercy. Also, open that safe opportunity every once in a while and be vulnerable, but also remind them that you are opening that window at that moment, that it doesn't mean they are to drop truth just like that. It needs to be done in a safe environment.

Henry Cloud and Danny Silk have ministries about healthy communication. It helped me tremendously.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,999.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Wel

Well, first, sometimes I really have been self righteous! No one called me out on it, but there might have been some disdainful facial expressions and coolness.

My concern has been with people being self righteous to me. For example when they piously say things like "I'll be praying for you..." when I didn't ask for prayer. Or like when they imply I am a sinner because I disagree with them, with words like."We have to watch out for the wiles of the devil" and generally act holier than thou. However, when I get annoyed with such folk, am I not being self righteous too, instead of just forgiving and letting it go?

I would avoid people who say things like "You are not a true Christian."

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,825.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. - Romans 10:8-10

And notice in particular...

....The Word of Faith, which we preach... - Romans 10:8

I am white and of Scottish descent. In the 1990's our factory hired several VT football players who were all black and of Word of Faith doctrine. In all my years of knowing these guys I have never once heard the first negative word out of their mouth, everything they spoke was faith. They called me, "McCwowt" and would say things like...

"Do you know what over comes fear McCwowt? Action! Action overcomes fear"

"I'm getting out of here McCwowt" And then lay out some plan of escape. They would also come to me saying...

"What are you believing God for McCwowt?" And expect some great plan that would bring joy to their hearts.

They were also very schooled in the Word of Faith. If you had any pains at all they would offer to pray for you right then and there. They also broke me of my negative talk and for that I am eternally grateful. There is another thing they use to say...

"Good fellowship makes you strong."

If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

Laying a spiritual foundation of faith is very important. One of the most interesting figures I have read about was in the person of William Seymour, who was also black, the architect of the Pentecostal revival, and the Holy Spirit fell!

"They shouted three days and three nights. It was Easter season. The people came from everywhere. By the next morning there was no way of getting near the house. As people came in they would fall under God's power; and the whole city was stirred. They shouted until the foundation of the house gave way, but no one was hurt."

The Holy Spirit reportedly fell in 1906 at Azusa Street Mission in Los Angeles, CA. Smith Wigglesworth testified of receiving it in 1907. This is a revival that spread very fast around the world! Here is the doctrine that William Seymour developed, which all begins by faith and Word of Faith type doctrine.

1. The Outer Court - Justification - Faith to enter in.
2. The Altar - Salvation through the cross at Calvary.
3. The Laver - The clean effects of sanctification.
4. Table of Showbread – Daily into the word of God
5. Light at the Lightstand - Faith, hope, charity, joy, grace, love, warmth, etc. With sanctification came a sweet spirit!
6. The Golden Incense Alter - Prayer and Praise meetings.
7. The Holy of Holies - The Shekinah Glory and Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

Temple_zps43c1911c.png

In which I also made a video tribute... Though I do not belong to a Word of Faith church, I believe it is important to keep faith things on the tongue. Stay in this doctrine and righteousness will flow naturally through you and you wont worry what others think.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Generally I do ok IRLjust walk away but sometimes they trap ya... it's probably harder with electronics today though... they can stalk you and nothing you say will be right.. ?

I once had a woman in the church convince the council and pastor I was demon-possessed... and they called me before them without any reason and had no good anything to say but removed me from the church. I was stunned, was young and had no response and the person that had supposedly gone with me for Biblical support turned on me.

This was begun by a woman who had lots of money, who's sons slept with large knives under their pillows and who had publicly threatened my sons at a church function... but the church went along with her.

For you, make your salvation sure...once and for all and then rely upon that time...write date down and remind Jesus and yourself of your action as often as you need to (and the devil.. nope devil, on xxx Jesus saved me from hell now go away...)

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,825.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Keep things in the ear that inspire faith and righteousness!

Rappin for Jesus
Rappin for Jesus
To the beat! To the beat!

My name is Stephen Wiley and I am rated highly and I rap to a tee
So sit down and just listen to me as I rap religiously
I am righteously righteous ... Justly just...
Faithful to the Lord in whom I trust
And if you think I'm boasting you better relax
When I speak God's Word I am speaking the facts!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Brother I’ve been called fake.

It’s heart breaking. Some say since I still have sin in my life that I wasn’t ever born again.

Even tho when I gave my life to Jesus a profound explosive went off.

I’ve had some pastors be stumbling blocks.

But I know in my heart the Lord lives me.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The "self righteous" thing is a defense, nothing more, much like "who are you to judge me" Those who use those terms are often just someone who needs blame the messenger.
All you need to is believe in God, and they will call you self righteous...don't worry about it, at least that's how I deal with it.

Now, on you thinking you aren't saved, that is a real issue we need to fix right now. :)
Oh and I'm not judging or being self righteous. lol

So, why don't you think you are saved?

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The "self righteous" thing is a defense, nothing more, much like "who are you to judge me" Those who use those terms are often just someone who needs blame the messenger.
All you need to is believe in God, and they will call you self righteous...don't worry about it, at least that's how I deal with it.

Now, on you thinking you aren't saved, that is a real issue we need to fix right now. :)
Oh and I'm not judging or being self righteous. lol

So, why don't you think you are saved?

I don't think you are being self-righteous. It sounds more like concern to me. I appreciate it.

I have some besetting sins that I can't seem to overcome. My desire is to be a true follower of Jesus. But I give into my sins easily. I don't fight like I should. I keep telling myself that I won't sin today, but then I give into my sin, like inappropriate contentography. I hate my sin, but not enough obviously. It's like wanting to stop smoking, and trying to stop smoking, but you give into your fleshly cravings. I will make decisions not to look at inappropriate content, but then I am bombarded with these images in my head. And then I give into it.

I hate how powerful lust is.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. - Romans 10:8-10

And notice in particular...

....The Word of Faith, which we preach... - Romans 10:8

I am white and of Scottish descent. In the 1990's our factory hired several VT football players who were all black and of Word of Faith doctrine. In all my years of knowing these guys I have never once heard the first negative word out of their mouth, everything they spoke was faith. They called me, "McCwowt" and would say things like...

"Do you know what over comes fear McCwowt? Action! Action overcomes fear"

"I'm getting out of here McCwowt" And then lay out some plan of escape. They would also come to me saying...

"What are you believing God for McCwowt?" And expect some great plan that would bring joy to their hearts.

They were also very schooled in the Word of Faith. If you had any pains at all they would offer to pray for you right then and there. They also broke me of my negative talk and for that I am eternally grateful. There is another thing they use to say...

"Good fellowship makes you strong."

If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

Laying a spiritual foundation of faith is very important. One of the most interesting figures I have read about was in the person of William Seymour, who was also black, the architect of the Pentecostal revival, and the Holy Spirit fell!

"They shouted three days and three nights. It was Easter season. The people came from everywhere. By the next morning there was no way of getting near the house. As people came in they would fall under God's power; and the whole city was stirred. They shouted until the foundation of the house gave way, but no one was hurt."

The Holy Spirit reportedly fell in 1906 at Azusa Street Mission in Los Angeles, CA. Smith Wigglesworth testified of receiving it in 1907. This is a revival that spread very fast around the world! Here is the doctrine that William Seymour developed, which all begins by faith and Word of Faith type doctrine.

1. The Outer Court - Justification - Faith to enter in.
2. The Altar - Salvation through the cross at Calvary.
3. The Laver - The clean effects of sanctification.
4. Table of Showbread – Daily into the word of God
5. Light at the Lightstand - Faith, hope, charity, joy, grace, love, warmth, etc. With sanctification came a sweet spirit!
6. The Golden Incense Alter - Prayer and Praise meetings.
7. The Holy of Holies - The Shekinah Glory and Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

Temple_zps43c1911c.png

In which I also made a video tribute... Though I do not belong to a Word of Faith church, I believe it is important to keep faith things on the tongue. Stay in this doctrine and righteousness will flow naturally through you and you wont worry what others think.

Thank you very much. This is useful.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Brother I’ve been called fake.

It’s heart breaking. Some say since I still have sin in my life that I wasn’t ever born again.

Even tho when I gave my life to Jesus a profound explosive went off.

I’ve had some pastors be stumbling blocks.

But I know in my heart the Lord lives me.

Thank you for your response. This also helps me. Thank you

Reactions: dabro
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wel

Well, first, sometimes I really have been self righteous! No one called me out on it, but there might have been some disdainful facial expressions and coolness.

My concern has been with people being self righteous to me. For example when they piously say things like "I'll be praying for you..." when I didn't ask for prayer. Or like when they imply I am a sinner because I disagree with them, with words like."We have to watch out for the wiles of the devil" and generally act holier than thou. However, when I get annoyed with such folk, am I not being self righteous too, instead of just forgiving and letting it go?

I would avoid people who say things like "You are not a true Christian."

Thank you, @LoricaLady. I maybe self-righteous too, without meaning to be.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I learned a long time ago that just because someone doesn’t “act” like Jesus doesn’t mean they are not being renewed, it simply means that they are in a different season/journey. I also learned to give a window of opportunity to receive advice. For example, in my job every few months I ask my boss if he has some input, if I am doing my job right and if is there something I should change or improve. I think he appreciates that I am giving him a safe opportunity to speak into my life. I do the same thing with family and friends. My sister is the same way, she says she can hear your opinion but it doesn't mean she agrees, still we all give a safe opportunity to speak into our lives.

One time my spiritual father said to me that I was “self righteous” and another person said I was prideful. I did not like it, but when I grew up I realized they were seeing something I wasn't seeing, so I swallowed my pride and asked God to show me what they were seeing in me that I wasn’t. The Lord took me through a season where I realized I thought I was saved due to my actions, that meant I was prideful and I didn't have mercy for others. But that season gave fruit and now I can understand salvation and how everyone is on a different path.

If you are having problems with people saying you are self righteous, take that opportunity to check your heart. They might be right, they might be seeing something you are not, but don't forget to have mercy on yourself. Invite them to speak to you about what you don’t see, but keep in mind that they might be the ones who are judging wrong and they might be the ones with a problem, like lack of mercy. Also, open that safe opportunity every once in a while and be vulnerable, but also remind them that you are opening that window at that moment, that it doesn't mean they are to drop truth just like that. It needs to be done in a safe environment.

Henry Cloud and Danny Silk have ministries about healthy communication. It helped me tremendously.

Well, usually I just get told that I am not a true Christian, which maybe true. But sometimes when they say this, it seems like an attack mechanism. But you are right. I do need to check my heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Job3315
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I had to edit my response to this.

Upvote 0