✟58,145.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey guys,

So I completely understand and agree that women should not teach above men in the church. But to what extent and when does that kick in? Is it from day one? Well, I guess that would make the most sense.

You see, I lead the morning prayer and bible study at my school. I am teaching the group by myself for the most part and yes, that includes teaching over the guys. I'm not sure if I'm doing wrong or not...

WildStrawberry

It's almost time....
Mar 25, 2005
Southwestern Ohio
✟11,160.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If that included from day one, there would be a LOT of mothers that are "doing wrong".

I would say, it depends on the age of the guys. I'm currently leading a study of the Large Catechism and one of the other SS teachers wanted to sit in as well. He's older than I am and I felt a bit uncomfortable (it was originally just going to be a few of the more mature HS girls who actually WANT to study the Bible and the Confessions and a group of the HS guys found out and wanted in on it too. So I took it to the HS teachers and the one, an Elder, didn't think the LC to be very "readable" and the other said "Hey, I want to come...can I??" What could I say to that?) but then decided instead of "teaching" the LC, I'd just "lead" the study (asking questions, getting conversation started) and letting the "class" take control. I'd just steer 'em back if they got off subject. (not a hard thing for HS kids. LOL)

It worked well and I didn't feel like I was TEACHING the guys. More like they were asking questions and working things out for themselves once I got things going.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys,

So I completely understand and agree that women should not teach above men in the church. But to what extent and when does that kick in? Is it from day one? Well, I guess that would make the most sense.

You see, I lead the morning prayer and bible study at my school. I am teaching the group by myself for the most part and yes, that includes teaching over the guys. I'm not sure if I'm doing wrong or not...

The Biblical prohibition of women "teaching or having authority over men" is within the context of the Office of the Pastoral Ministry and refers mainly to preaching. Since what you are doing is not a specific function of the pastoral office, you are not doing wrong. It becomes mainly a personal issue. If you feel uncomfortable doing so then you may want to refrain from that teaching.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.